Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why did Tesla remove option to disable regenerative braking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm asking here instead of directly to Tesla because their only Contact Us options were for solar roofs or calling a store and neither of them knows....

While test driving the Model Y I noticed the regenerative braking was pretty aggressive. I called the sales person from the car to ask if I could adjust it. He explained that unfortunately Tesla removed the option to disable regenerative braking in the October 2020 software update, and suggested cheerfully that it's a driving experience drivers adapt to. (Some context here, I'm used to regenerative braking from my Prius of the past five years, but I like the freedom of easily toggling it on or off as needed, and its resistance is considerably milder than Tesla's.) I found Tesla's regenerative braking to be so strong it was similar to actively depressing a brake pedal half way to the floor when the foot wasn't on the accelerator. In my opinion it was a fatiguing nuisance having to stay on top of the accelerator all the time. I know you can engage cruise control as a workaround but cruise is only useful in certain conditions.

I went to an Earth Day fair a week later because many makes and models of EVs would be there and I wanted to hear pros and cons directly from owners. One Model Y owner said he'd always driven with regenerative braking at the maximum setting anyway so it didn't bother him, but he felt sure there was still a way to turn it off. Then a woman, intrigued by the topic, offered to take me on a test drive in her Model Y and go through all the settings for regenerative braking. We did and both agreed none of the settings made much difference. Then she confessed that she can't take her best friend around in her car because the regenerative braking gives her friend motion sickness, and that she'd heard similar stories from others. (But she was still crazy about her Model Y.)

What do you think Tesla's rationale is for removing the option of turning off regenerative braking, especially when it could limit their pool of consumers? It's a deal breaker for any buyer who has to consider how many kids/relatives, friends, business associates, or other unknown future passengers it might affect. My only thought has been maybe Tesla wants to pump up their range statistics and didn't realize that it could make some people ill or fatigued if they suffer from motion sickness or certain disabilities.

Aside from that, I'm bothered a seller can change something without my permission after I've paid for it.

Solution
For those with a tendency toward motion sickness, the solution is to drive more smoothly - feather the accelerator, plan your stops further ahead, etc. Chill mode helps with passengers that easily get motion sickness.

To answer your question, low regen was removed in order to boost the EPA figures due to the way the EPA handles driving modes.
Less safe in the snow particularly, and bad/unacceptable for some drivers obviously.
I have heard this for years now…and never understood it. Strong regen is better than braking in the snow. I drive in the snow quite a bit and I find regen way safer than the alternative. And I just feather it otherwise.

And my wife is the one who actually made the point about the above, and she has a disability with her legs (chronic pain and arthritis). That said, one thing I learned from my wife is never discount a person's reality. Just because it's A-OK for you, doesn't mean someone else - even if their situation sounds identical - is going to agree.

Summary - regen is awesome in the snow for me, and both my wife and I love strong regen.

Reactions: DanDi58 and GtiMart
Upvote 0
Ok, why not? Serious question. I have not hydroplaned my MY yet, so I have no idea what to expect. I know that in an ICE, it is extremely easy to control. Matching wheel to car with regen is difficult In regular driving. Why would it be easy in loss of traction, seems like the opposite would be true (harder)?
Google says:
Screenshot_20230104_175453_Chrome.jpg

Like @exxxviii ,I have not hydroplaned. I do believe with practice that it can be done safely with regen. I don't think any ICE or EV drivers ever practice this. I don't know but I bet Tesla did test this. Never drive beyond your and your car's capabilities 😁.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My inability to turn off go-pedal regen braking doing my overnight test drive so traumatized my wife that to this day she still will not drive "my" MY, even though I have had the MY for more than nine months now. I even bought the S3XY buttons, specifically because of her trauma. She still refuses to drive the car. My S3XY buttons sit in the glove box unused.

Personally, after a few weeks of driving with regen I felt totally comfortable. After a few months owning the MY I had to drive her ICE vehicle in for service, and I came slightly close to crashing when her car did NOT automatically brake. So I do have some sympathy for individuals who only rarely drive a car with the OTHER system.
All the more reason to leave those settings exposed, we are still transitioning, there are many NEW users that need to feel comfortable and instinctual on the controls, for people that can easily cope with the benefits of higher efficiency control logic, Great, adjustable setting will benefit them as well.

Not stepping out downhill on ice and snow can be critical.
SEXY buttons or a Performance trim seem like the current options to expose this functionality now unfortunately ...

Upvote 0
I have not hydroplaned... I do believe with practice that it can be done safely with regen. I don't think any ICE or EV drivers ever practice this. I don't know but I bet Tesla did test this.
"do not brake... ease your foot off the gas..." Google is so funny. That works for an ICE, but definitely not EV.

Most folks do not practice hydroplaning; it is generally something people either rarely encounter or part of regular life. I do not assume Tesla tested for it, because they are based in CA. They would need to spend some quality time in the southeast US to encounter the frequent high-intensity rain storms with moderate runoff. There is nothing else like it in the country. If I had the ability, I would fully disable regen in heavy rain.

Upvote 0
As someone who spent of my life driving standard transmissions, I am very used to coasting up to stop signs and lights. During my first test drive, I hated the strong regen and back then was able to switch it to low regen. That helped but it was still stronger than what I was used to with coasting.
A while later, I rented a model 3 for a week in Colorado, as a worst case test scenario (no home charging, only SCs). I switched to low regen within the first 10 minutes. Two days later, while in the mountains, I switched back to standard regen as that was similar to going to a lower gear when going downhill. Took me about 2 days to get used to the stronger regen but never switched it back. The big lightbulb moment was when I figured out how feathering the accelerator was NOT pulling energy (was still thinking in ICE/gas mode) into the engine but instead it was just reducing regen. Once I figured that out, strong regen won. I now really love 1 pedal driving. To think I used to enjoy 3 pedal driving! LOL

Reactions: DrGriz and laservet
Upvote 0
Strong regen is better than braking in the snow.
Not necessarily. As it’s currently implemented Tesla’s regen works predominantly on the rear axle until slippage is detected which is fundamentally much worse than front-biased 4-wheel braking.

Regen does have a significant theoretical advantage over braking in that the traction control system can adjust regen torque much faster and more precisely than brakes.

But regen also has a fundamental disadvantage when skidding as there is no pedal feedback to help the driver distinguish between coasting and skidding.

Upvote 0
Not necessarily. As it’s currently implemented Tesla’s regen works predominantly on the rear axle until slippage is detected which is fundamentally much worse than front-biased 4-wheel braking.

Regen does have a significant theoretical advantage over braking in that the traction control system can adjust regen torque much faster and more precisely than brakes.

But regen also has a fundamental disadvantage when skidding as there is no pedal feedback to help the driver distinguish between coasting and skidding.
Nice theoretical. I drive on snow daily - and I can say for me, practically it works better than brakes.

Upvote 0
True. It's funny that they had an intern spend an entire summer just deleting the low-regen graphics from the menu. Yes, I know they needed space for more ads, but why not delete the steering wheel light menu item instead?

View attachment 893088
Well it isn't like it is all cars...some still have it so they maintain both....which is basically one version that flags you can see it and one that says you can't..even more of a reason to just allow people to see it...

Upvote 0
I really missed the true 1 pedal drive that my 2019 Model 3 LR has. Tesla's regen system has undergone numerous software updates since my 2019. With the 2019, regen is adjustable and it was much stronger on the 'highest setting'. Now, with my 2023 Model Y LR, the regen feels really weak and is no longer a true '1 pedal drive' like my 2019 was. I constantly find myself using the brakes to complete most of my stops unless I'm driving at speed below 35mph. Tesla needs to reintroduce adjustable regen which many current EVs have today.

Upvote 0
I really missed the true 1 pedal drive that my 2019 Model 3 LR has. Tesla's regen system has undergone numerous software updates since my 2019. With the 2019, regen is adjustable and it was much stronger on the 'highest setting'. Now, with my 2023 Model Y LR, the regen feels really weak and is no longer a true '1 pedal drive' like my 2019 was. I constantly find myself using the brakes to complete most of my stops unless I'm driving at speed below 35mph. Tesla needs to reintroduce adjustable regen which many current EVs have today.
You know the latest software has an option you can turn on that will let the car use the brakes when regen is limited or insufficient to enable full 1 pedal driving, right?

Upvote 0
I think you just need to relearn how to one-pedal drive, tbh.

Upvote 0
What was the ambient temperature when you felt regen wasn't as strong? Even here in San Diego, to my surprise regen was limited for the last week due to it being cold (i.e. around 50F...). If anything changed, they may have done some adjustment related to battery temperature. I am 100% confident nothing else has changed for the past 3 years since I got the vehicle.

Upvote 0