Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was looking for similar feedback and in short I have decided to purchase and install HAKKAPELIITTA R3 (18") from Kal Tire. Crazy expensive, IMO, $2700 with the sensors, rims and tires.... jeez.

but i did not want to spend the same to get IMO a lower grade tire from Tesla, (PIRELLI WINTER SOTTOZERO)

$2700 seem high unless it includes tax. I was quoted $2011 with aftermarket rims and sensors. Total would be $2553 with OEM rims and sensors from Tesla, tires and installation from Kal. Both are before tax.

I've seen several mentions of pre-conditioning the battery before charging. I can't find any setting that does this.

Or do you just mean heating the interior of the car?

It is automatic in the Model 3. If you have a supercharger set in your navigation path it will pre-condition the battery before you get there. Otherwise for home charging it will just be slower initially if the battery is cold.

Reactions: mswlogo
I've seen several mentions of pre-conditioning the battery before charging. I can't find any setting that does this.

Or do you just mean heating the interior of the car?

The Model 3 doesn't have a dedicated battery heater like the S or X, but it does use the motors and inverters to generate heat to warm the battery. Each motor or inverter can generate about 3.5kW of heat. You can't turn it on discreetly, but if you turn on cabin heat *and* the battery is cold enough, it will warm the battery. Not enough to completely restore regen, but enough to make regen a bit better and make your battery a little happier. It only makes sense to do this if you are plugged in ... if you are not plugged in, better to just get in and drive.

You can see the battery heater icon in the climate tab of the app when it is engaged.

Reactions: mswlogo
The Model 3 doesn't have a dedicated battery heater like the S or X, but it does use the motors and inverters to generate heat to warm the battery. Each motor or inverter can generate about 3.5kW of heat. You can't turn it on discreetly, but if you turn on cabin heat *and* the battery is cold enough, it will warm the battery. Not enough to completely restore regen, but enough to make regen a bit better and make your battery a little happier. It only makes sense to do this if you are plugged in ... if you are not plugged in, better to just get in and drive.

You can see the battery heater icon in the climate tab of the app when it is engaged.

Thanks JDW, this is helpful.

Reactions: navguy12 and jdw
I am. Just pointing out that there is an option to drive a warmed up car while also minimising the chance of plating in very cold weather. I don't worry about charging a frozen battery, but I would rather avoid it when possible.

I haven't studied the manual, but I'm pretty sure the chance of plating your battery anode at any time is virtually zero. The BMS knows the temperature of the batteries and limits the charging rates accordingly. I'm pretty sure the BMS warms the battery before it would charge it if plating is a problem.

We've been having cold enough nights that in the AM the regen is limited. The other day I drove a few miles and the regen limit started to ease. Then the icon came on warning of limited regen. Why would this come on only after driving some miles so the regen limit was nearly off???

Typically, below freezing, the regen is zero or close to it and definitely zero at -10 and lower. After about 15 minutes of the battery heater + driving, it starts to come back to probably 10kW and gets as high as 40-50kw (about 50%) after 30-45 minutes of driving.

And yes, Tesla does protect against cold weather charging. That fact alone tells you that it is not a good idea and something you might want to avoid if you can. I doubt that cold weather charging damage is a binary yes/no event, more likely small bits of damage can add up over time.

More likely Tesla protects the battery and prevents it from being damaged by not charging or charging at a rate appropriate for the temperature. I'm not sure why you have it in your head that damage has to happen when the battery is not charged until it warms up enough to be charged.

More likely Tesla protects the battery and prevents it from being damaged by not charging or charging at a rate appropriate for the temperature. I'm not sure why you have it in your head that damage has to happen when the battery is not charged until it warms up enough to be charged.

Some reading material for you ... there are well over a dozen studies, this is one of the most comprehensive and is focused on Tesla batteries. And yes, Tesla's BMS is very good and they do their best to deal with the issue, but why not help out if it only involves changing your routine a little?

https://mediatum.ub.tum.de/doc/1355829/1355829.pdf

Page 145 Excerpt/Summary:

"Operating at temperatures of 10°C or lower does not only reduce the available capacity but also accelerates aging when the cells are cycled. This thesis has demonstrated that not only charging at low temperature, but also discharging at low temperature can cause severe degradation of the lithium-ion battery of an EV. Although the contributions to capacity fade from calendar aging decrease when lowering the battery temperature to 10°C, the contributions from cycling operation increase substantially more.
To improve the battery life, the lithium-ion batteries should be heated in winter when there are subzero temperatures. Furthermore, high discharging currents should only be drawn from the battery after a certain warming of the cells."

and on regeneration:

"The extensive investigations on the impact of regenerative braking on battery aging have shown that regenerative braking always had a beneficial effect on battery life. As a consequence, high recharging peak currents during braking periods should be tolerated, also at low temperatures of 10°C or even 0°C, as they did not harm the battery but reduced the overall cycle depth."

Last edited:
Some reading material for you ... there are well over a dozen studies, this is one of the most comprehensive and is focused on Tesla batteries. And yes, Tesla's BMS is very good and they do their best to deal with the issue, but why not help out if you can?

Help what??? There is no problem to help. There are several reasons for charging your car before you drive, mostly because you want to warm the car and the battery before you drive. Why not help the car/battery be warm while you drive?

https://mediatum.ub.tum.de/doc/1355829/1355829.pdf

Page 145 Excerpt/Summary:

"Operating at temperatures of 10°C or lower does not only reduce the available capacity but also accelerates aging when the cells are cycled. This thesis has demonstrated that not only charging at low temperature, but also discharging at low temperature can cause severe degradation of the lithium-ion battery of an EV. Although the contributions to capacity fade from calendar aging decrease when lowering the battery temperature to 10°C, the contributions from cycling operation increase substantially more.
To improve the battery life, the lithium-ion batteries should be heated in winter when there are subzero temperatures. Furthermore, high discharging currents should only be drawn from the battery after a certain warming of the cells."

Doesn't the BMS take care of this?

and on regeneration:

"The extensive investigations on the impact of regenerative braking on battery aging have shown that regenerative braking always had a beneficial effect on battery life. As a consequence, high recharging peak currents during braking periods should be tolerated, also at low temperatures of 10°C or even 0°C, as they did not harm the battery but reduced the overall cycle depth."

You do realize this last part is contradicting what you are saying, no?

I don't really care what you do with your car, just trying to pass on some information that someone might find useful. I'm also not going to defend papers published by researchers - brush up on your German and go argue with them.

There are dozens of studies on battery degradation that *all* point to cold battery charging causing degradation via lithium plating and Tesla limits cold battery charging as well. It's not a big thing to charge your battery while it is warm, and precondition your car in the morning to warm the battery before you leave, instead of freezing your battery first and then charging it.

I'm out, thanks.

Last edited:
Looking for a quiet and efficient winter tire spec for the Model 3–any suggestions? I ran Hakkepelliita R2s on our old Model S and loved them and assume the newer R3s are as good or better. Lots of posters on this forum like the X-Ice Xi3 spec which get high high marks. Is either one quieter and/or more efficient than the other? What about the Pilot Alpin PA4s? Will a “performance winter” spec have and advantages/disadvantages over the “studless winter” variants in terms of efficiency and/or noise? Thanks for this insights!

That is the best description (and advice) I've ever seen posted in how the Model 3 works and exactly matches my experience.

Reactions: jdw