Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Tires - Michelin X-Ice Xi3 vs. Nokian Hakka R2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As far as the debate goes on which winter brand of tire to get, I tell people anything other xice3! I tell my friends xice3.
I am just trying to manage demand to keep prices in check. These are the best winters for snowy Western Canada, period. And they are proving well on the Model S too.

Get them at Costco of course. 19" is special order takes a few days longer to acquire... but cant beat the price and use the $70 off set of 4 Michelin coupon. Cheaper for me anyway, than having anything shipped from Tirewhack.

Just wanted to chime in now that we're well into winter here and an say that I'm not impressed with my R2's, or the traction control on Model S for that matter. The TC triggers frequently, making for a herky-jerky ride (I expected it to be more seamless) and oversteer is a constant worry on snow/ice-covered highways. Maybe the car would have caught me, but the rear end breaks loose enough that I need to correct it. And, no, I'm not thrashing my car with this happens.

I think next year I will try the studded Hakka 8's.

Just wanted to chime in now that we're well into winter here and an say that I'm not impressed with my R2's, or the traction control on Model S for that matter. The TC triggers frequently, making for a herky-jerky ride (I expected it to be more seamless) and oversteer is a constant worry on snow/ice-covered highways. Maybe the car would have caught me, but the rear end breaks loose enough that I need to correct it. And, no, I'm not thrashing my car with this happens.

I'm still waiting for snow to try them too - as a matter of fact, I'll be going to a ski resort next weekend so I hope to be able to try them.

But up until now, with some mild winter conditions (cold, rain, and sometimes black ice), I'm not impressed either. I'm starting to think that the R2s are very good for lighter and much less powerful cars, but inadequate for the Model S.

This happened to me when the tires were new. Just wait a thousand km or two.

I have 6.000 km on them, and it is true that grip improves after a couple thousand, but never gets to the expected level. Either the expectation was too high, or the R2s unappropriate for a car with the power and weight of the Model S...
I had the chance to test them in some snow and ice, and they performed better than my previous VW 4motion with Bridgestone Blizzaks. Of course summer tires would perform better on dry none icy roads, and that should be expected.

I had the chance to test them in some snow and ice, and they performed better than my previous VW 4motion with Bridgestone Blizzaks. Of course summer tires would perform better on dry none icy roads, and that should be expected.

Yepp, I think I personally had too high expectations, taking as a reference the performance of the R2s with my Golf (140 HP, front wheel drive, 1.400kg - completely different to the Model S)

I think that the Model S needs new software for winter snow driving. This was discussed repeatedly during the last two winters. The car has so much torque that it spin the tires quickly and reacts quickly. It can be very hard to start up a hill in deep snow or on ice. A very light touch is needed.

The fast starts we are used to cannot occur on ice and snow in any car. The S could be improved by having snow mode with a less aggressive accelerator pedal and allowing a little more spin before traction control kicks into effect. I will still accelerate slower than most 4 wheel drives but will go faster than currently.

Went through last winter with the R2s and found them to be outstanding, especially compared to the Pirellis on a loaner I had one snowy day. Different conditions? P vs. S maybe?

No, it's the tires for sure. The Pierllis suck for "real" winter conditions. They're performance winter tires, i.e. fair weather winter tires.

I do think the Model S traction control is inferior in snow conditions to the Roadster's. The Roadster TC is nothing short of amazing on snow, even without snow tires (I tried it once just for fun - just in the local neighbourhood). Don't know why the technology took a step backwards; perhaps because Elon wanted "sportier" performance. In that case the car needs a "snow mode".

I do think the Model S traction control is inferior in snow conditions to the Roadster's. The Roadster TC is nothing short of amazing on snow, even without snow tires (I tried it once just for fun - just in the local neighbourhood). Don't know why the technology took a step backwards; perhaps because Elon wanted "sportier" performance. In that case the car needs a "snow mode".

I think it has more to do with the layout of the two cars. If the Model S' batteries were all in the rear like the Roadster's, the TC would work about the same.

I have now properly tested the R2s on snow and ice, as you can see here: https://twitter.com/slcuervo/status/540885443165032448

B4GcbHlIEAAZ91k.jpg
B4GcbwpIEAM8UfA.jpg

My conclusion is: despite de disappointment related to poor grip on wet and/or damp roads, the tires meet my expectations (which were very high) on snow, and it has also been a pleasant surprise to find out how good they are on pure ice.

My summary of the NOKIAN Hakka R2s:

Conditions / Grip under strong acceleration / Handling
- WET & DAMP: poor / average
- SNOW: good / good
- ICE: good / excellent

When I say pure ice above, I mean a parking lot that has a layer of a couple of cm of ice, where it is very difficult to walk. I was really surprised of how easy it was to manoeuver with the car responding very well to all change of direction at moderate speeds (below 20-30 kph).

Anyway, excellent tires if you are going to use them in proper winter conditions. For those who will go through more humid conditions than ice/snow, not recommended.

I have now properly tested the R2s on snow and ice, as you can see here: https://twitter.com/slcuervo/status/540885443165032448

View attachment 65639 View attachment 65640

My conclusion is: despite de disappointment related to poor grip on wet and/or damp roads, the tires meet my expectations (which were very high) on snow, and it has also been a pleasant surprise to find out how good they are on pure ice.

My summary of the NOKIAN Hakka R2s:

Conditions / Grip under strong acceleration / Handling
- WET & DAMP: poor / average
- SNOW: good / good
- ICE: good / excellent

When I say pure ice above, I mean a parking lot that has a layer of a couple of cm of ice, where it is very difficult to walk. I was really surprised of how easy it was to manoeuver with the car responding very well to all change of direction at moderate speeds (below 20-30 kph).

Anyway, excellent tires if you are going to use them in proper winter conditions. For those who will go through more humid conditions than ice/snow, not recommended.
I agree with your ratings. It's hard to find a winter tire that is good for everything. I don't regret getting the Hakkapeliitta R2 after my experience on a snowy/icy roads.

Hmm... I have a problem with my michelin xi3 and rial lugano rims (19x8.5 with ET32). The left front tire scrapes against the front of the wheel well when going backwards with a certain steering angle. Any advice?

I mounted my winters to the stock Tesla 19" rims and put my Goodyear summers on Rial Luganos. I get the same rubbing when backing up and turning with the Goodyears on the Luganos. The rim spacing must be a tiny bit different than the Tesla rims. One thing that puzzles me is why only in reverse? Presumably the suspension isn't "wiggling" back and forth under the weight of the car???

...The S could be improved by having snow mode with a less aggressive accelerator pedal and allowing a little more spin before traction control kicks into effect. I will still accelerate slower than most 4 wheel drives but will go faster than currently.

Since they have a new "Slip" mode for the P85D, they should be able to do what you're suggesting as well. Unless Slip is simply traction control totally off, but only allowed at low speeds, since otherwise the option to disable to traction control didn't appear on the 85D screen I saw.

Thank you all, I intercepted my Sottozero 3XL and will pay extra $220 to have them replaced by Thai Michelin X-Ice Xi3 XL.

If you ever need a TR order intercepted talk to customer service and not sales, they will charge $12 per
tire and one way shipping (as opposed to two way shipping as sales instruct you to just refuse shipment),
and also waive the $60 per tire dismantling fee if you place a new order immediately.