Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your Prediction for Restoration of USS Features

When do you think the park assist and other features will be restored?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From what I saw on some YouTube videos yesterday, the new Model S/X had the new HW4 but with the new cameras but with no additional cameras... and they have radar. So, I am wondering if those Model 3s that have had radar removed will have them put back in? I saw pics of a 2023 Model 3 with the frunk removed, and there was a spot for the radar as well as the connection for it (there was an actual label that designated the area in which the radar would be in).
Even if you can physically connect it, there is no way to enable it in the software unless Tesla decides to offer a retrofit and re-enable radar.

Well it could be argued that with HW3, ALL the windshield cameras are fake.

1678679107915.png

• Funny
Reactions: SalisburySam
Hi,
In my opinion - Tesla will need to do a retrofit campaign on any 2023 vehicles that were delivered without USS.
They clearly removed USS before they had software ready and with the current camera configuration I don’t believe they will be able to adequately replicate the USS function to an acceptable standard & level of accuracy.
Some people say that Tesla have delivered around 500,000 2023MY cars without USS - let’s consider an average price of around $60,000 per car - that’s $30 billion of car sales and around $10 billion in profit.
Tesla were obviously chasing 2022 last quarter & full year sales - so if they were not able to deliver those cars they would have taken a bit hit in sales & reputation last year.
With that $10 billion of profit - there is plenty of money available to retrofit whatever is required to get these recently delivered cars back to what people ordered and expected.
Let‘s see what happens over next few months!
Cheers
Steve

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Hi,
In my opinion - Tesla will need to do a retrofit campaign on any 2023 vehicles that were delivered without USS.
They clearly removed USS before they had software ready and with the current camera configuration I don’t believe they will be able to adequately replicate the USS function to an acceptable standard & level of accuracy.
Some people say that Tesla have delivered around 500,000 2023MY cars without USS - let’s consider an average price of around $60,000 per car - that’s $30 billion of car sales and around $10 billion in profit.
Tesla were obviously chasing 2022 last quarter & full year sales - so if they were not able to deliver those cars they would have taken a bit hit in sales & reputation last year.
With that $10 billion of profit - there is plenty of money available to retrofit whatever is required to get these recently delivered cars back to what people ordered and expected.
Let‘s see what happens over next few months!
Cheers
Steve
Let’s see. You’re Tesla’s CEO, you just got the $10Billion, and you’re selling every car you can make. Are you going to retrofit anything to any car ever that regulators don’t mandate? Yeah, I didn’t think so. Tesla won’t either. Ever. And remember that USS equivalency is promised to come soon. Promise. No, really. You can take that to the bank. Absolutely. Uh huh.

Do we have 6months already since they announce "short period of time"? If average time we keep a car would be 5y, 10% of our ownership have been already without park assist.

I was suspecting it would not be 2-3 weeks, but thought that in 6 months it would be solved already. Hope it comes with single stack update soon, together with improved autopilot for those who don't have FSD.

Reactions: XPsionic
Let’s see. You’re Tesla’s CEO, you just got the $10Billion, and you’re selling every car you can make. Are you going to retrofit anything to any car ever that regulators don’t mandate? Yeah, I didn’t think so. Tesla won’t either. Ever. And remember that USS equivalency is promised to come soon. Promise. No, really. You can take that to the bank. Absolutely. Uh huh.
With so much inventory & recent price cuts - I don’t really think that Tesla can actually sell every car they make, at the moment!
We are shopping for a replacement to my wife’s BMW X3M40i and test drove a Model Y Performance at the weekend.
I really enjoyed filling in the post test drive questionnaire!
Will you be buying a new car in the near future? - Yes
Will you be buying a Tesla Model Y? - No
Why won’t you be buying a Tesla?
Lots of options to tick - I ticked “other” and then mentioned the reason that I would not buy a Model Y was the lack of USS and no visibility as to when this function will be implemented with camera vision - if ever!

I am just happy that my Chinese made 2023 Model 3 Performance has USS - it would make me quite upset to not get what I paid for - especially as we have Extended Auto Pilot on our car.

FSD went on sale in late 2016 with promises of at least L4 self driving and we're still not especially near that 6.5 years later.

Hell teslavision promised parity with the original radar version soon back almost 2 years ago when it launched and it's still not there either (max speed and follow still below the old radar version).

So folks thinking they're gonna retrofit USS after 6 months are.... adorable.

Reactions: SalisburySam
Have I overlooked something or am I realizing what people fail to understand about Tesla and their vision system as well - think about this

Have any of us actually looked at the review camera in rain, snow, inclement weather? I can guarantee you the rear camera in rain will not be able to provide distance measurements out of parking lots. This is part of where the design "ingenuity" of Tesla gets ahead of itself. Unless they know something I don't, anytime it rains my rear camera becomes useless and blocked by rain droplets.

Tesla's only saving grace in poor visibility with blocked cameras is to implement a radar in the rear similar to the one up front. The new radar theoretically can be used for the front of the vehicle, but in rain, and poor visibility, it's not possible especially for the rear camera to provide obstacle distances. The side B-pillar cameras can also be blocked by rain on the lens.

This is why I bought one of the last model X's with USS. I just don't see how Tesla can make it work, it's been 6 months now and nothing. Maybe that's why their vehicles are sitting on lots and inventory is piling up. Make a already cheap feeling car (3/y) even cheaper and leave features out that a 25k Toyota Prius comes with standard.

I would probably not have bought my Model X if it didn't come with USS (or Tesla Vision actually working). The car would just start to feel too cheap at that point. I feel Tesla will be reinstating these features when people find out there are no park assist features that come with a 40-60k car, and especially one that people are dropping 100k on.

Why would they ever take away a feature to promise it in the future at an unknown date? It's terrible business acumen.

Last edited:
Do we have 6months already since they announce "short period of time"? If average time we keep a car would be 5y, 10% of our ownership have been already without park assist.

I was suspecting it would not be 2-3 weeks, but thought that in 6 months it would be solved already. Hope it comes with single stack update soon, together with improved autopilot for those who don't have FSD.
eventually Tesla will push *some* update with *some* software solution so folks shut up. It likely won't be feature parity with USS and the system will state a big fat "use at your own risk".

Tesla will need to do a retrofit campaign on any 2023 vehicles that were delivered without USS...to retrofit whatever is required to get these recently delivered cars back to what people ordered...

No. Nobody ordered a car with USS and received one without. You might have assumed it would have all the same features as older models did, and that's a somewhat fair assumption, but it's merely an assumption. Companies change their products all the time - it's a necessary part of modern industry and applies to nearly every sector, not just every automaker.
If you want to know exactly what you're buying, either buy it in person or do some research before buying it online.

No. Nobody ordered a car with USS and received one without. You might have assumed it would have all the same features as older models did, and that's a somewhat fair assumption, but it's merely an assumption. Companies change their products all the time - it's a necessary part of modern industry and applies to nearly every sector, not just every automaker.
If you want to know exactly what you're buying, either buy it in person or do some research before buying it online.
Sorry - but you are absolutely wrong!
Many people ordered cars with Extended Auto Pilot - this gave them the ability to summon their car from a tight parking space, and to auto park their car into a parking space.
This was not a cheap option - and without USS sensors it does not work!
We are not talking about USS sensors for normal manual parking - we are talking about the removal of sensors that prevent a paid option from working!

Sorry - but you are absolutely wrong!
Many people ordered cars with Extended Auto Pilot - this gave them the ability to summon their car from a tight parking space, and to auto park their car into a parking space.
This was not a cheap option - and without USS sensors it does not work!
We are not talking about USS sensors for normal manual parking - we are talking about the removal of sensors that prevent a paid option from working!
That’s exactly what happened. I received a call from Tesla. They explained the disabled functionality and gave me two options. To accept the delivery with disabled functionality or to wait for unspecified amount of time for the delivery, when they restored everything advertised.

That’s exactly what happened. I received a call from Tesla. They explained the disabled functionality and gave me two options. To accept the delivery with disabled functionality or to wait for unspecified amount of time for the delivery, when they restored everything advertised.
Exactly. The only things Tesla MIGHT listen to are rejected deliveries or rejected orders as mentioned by @SteveM3Perf above. And kudos to the latter for specifying precisely why he did so despite having to manually enter the reason. One or two of these will make no difference, several hundred to thousands will. One can dream amiright?

Reactions: MARKM3
How did Tesla know to call you? If you chose to delay delivery, would you be allowed keep your order fee and the pricing on your order date? I might take this deal if offered.