Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I managed to get over to the docks, was a break in the weather. Camera would have been useless as I couldn’t see them from the side of the train tracks where I was so good job I brought the drone.

I present Silver Ray, in Southampton, offloading Model 3s!!!

View attachment 553064 View attachment 553065 View attachment 553066

First photos you can see a few of the 3’s being driven to the parking area. The 3’s are all being lined up in the centre of the last image. Sadly couldn’t get much closer.

This is unbelievable work!

You're way braver than me with your drone! I'm still not brave enough to fly it at the local park given the regulations let alone over restricted docks!

Reactions: Lewberry6
So I managed to get over to the docks, was a break in the weather. Camera would have been useless as I couldn’t see them from the side of the train tracks where I was so good job I brought the drone.

I present Silver Ray, in Southampton, offloading Model 3s!!!

View attachment 553064 View attachment 553065 View attachment 553066

First photos you can see a few of the 3’s being driven to the parking area. The 3’s are all being lined up in the centre of the last image. Sadly couldn’t get much closer.
Great work! You do realise we’ll expect you to do this for every ship in the future? ;)

This is unbelievable work!

You're way braver than me with your drone! I'm still not brave enough to fly it at the local park given the regulations let alone over restricted docks!

lol. I first got one years ago before they hit the news. Used to live over in Ocean Village the other side of Southampton. Having the sea as the only “safe” place to fly over I’ve gotten used to it lol.

But yes it’s a tricky one here. You are allowed to overfly vehicles by 50m. Yet not meant to overfly heavily industrialised areas. This part of the docks is pretty much a car park so keeping it close in line of sight higher than 50m I think is reasonably sensible. In terms of restricted docks it’s not restricted airspace so in that respect it’s fine.

Reactions: Roy W.
Now that GRAND VENUS has finally arrived in Zeebrugge we need to determine whether it is a full unload or whether it is off to somewhere else like Drammen to unload the remainder.
I'm looking at smaller what I call "Feeder-ships" going and coming to Zeebrugge. I currently have a few in my sights, will share names when I have more evidence to suggest that they are sailing Zeebrugge --> Southampton with Tesla cars onboard.

So with this ship and the cars now in Southampton, howcome I cannot pick it up from Birmingham until next Friday 26th? Surely they would be in Birmingham before then? Or does it for some reason take a week?

Many Thanks in advance :) ... getting excited.

There is work to be done;

- Transport
- Unloading
- PDI? Fixing number plates, etc.

I imagine all of these functions have limited capacity, even with Tesla's best efforts.

Reactions: DC23
Finding possible 'Tesla' vessels is tricky at the moment - there are lots of ships out of position at the moment. Normal routes are quiet and an awful lot of the Glovis vessels have gravitated back to Asia. Whilst Tesla clearly use Glovis vessels a lot they have had no hesitation in using other ships when the need arises. There are a couple of non-Glovis vessels that are not so far away at anchor that may be called upon.

On the other hand, we are approaching a month (June) when very little Tesla shipping is expected anyway and so the logistic folk will have time to cue up the Q3 ships which should depart from early July. In the UK however the new car market has collapsed and will be very sluggish to restart as it depends to a large degree on a healthy second-hand market to take the trade-ins, but it is in an even worse state. The UK Tesla website has plenty of Model 3s in inventory and some leasing companies have been offloading Model 3s at very low prices in recent days. Nobody would have predicted this situation a few months back. The point is I cannot see the level of shipping to the UK we saw in Q1 returning in Q3 simply because of reduced demand.

I would however love to be proved wrong.

Mr Miserable any further thoughts on Q3 shipping, I fear latest delivery from the Silver Ray does not have my SR+ on it.

- Transport
- Unloading

I imagine all of these functions have limited capacity, even with Tesla's best efforts.
Yes, wise to build that into your expectations.

At possibly the worst time during lockdown mine took 2 weeks once the Glovis Captain had docked end March but I expect they will be able to turn things around faster now. Although the wait was frustrating, In retrospect I was pleased that a Service Centre had taken time to inspect and prep properly. The car was in excellent condition & saved me additional stress of arranging a service appointment to have something fixed.

- Transport
- Unloading

Most importantly, there is some taxes to pay. The revenue need to record and check all their data before anything is released from the docks.

Reactions: LukeUK
Mr Miserable any further thoughts on Q3 shipping, I fear latest delivery from the Silver Ray does not have my SR+ on it.

Not yet.
In the next couple of days I'll start to look for Q3 ships.
GRAND PIONEER is still on my list and GLOVIS SUN too but I'll see what I can come up with but don't expect delivery before August.

Reactions: Mark S
Speaking of GLOVIS SUN she continues to drift off the Californian coast and I have not been warned off about her returning anytime soon.
There are no harbour dues to pay where she is at the moment and so she may continue to drift for a couple of weeks more.
I didn't observe her bunkering whiilst at anchor or in the days prior so she may need to refuel prior to loading next month.

Reactions: Mark S and Roy W.