Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7 years later what is your 100% on your 85kWh battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, recap correct, re-manufactured A-pack indeed...thx for benchmarking with a fresh battery; 25% is actually getting close to warranty level...
It isn't, because on the older Model Ses like you have, the warranty very specifically excludes degradation from any warranty claim. There is no degradation % that can ever trigger a warranty claim. You are thinking of the newer cars, like when the Model 3 came out, it did include a 30% loss as the level for warranty claim.

…was reading these 15 pages to feel better about my own beloved MS, but hallas; my story has the highest horror-level out here:

P85 Nov 2013 328k km; after some battery malfunction, received a replacement battery 2 years / 120k km ago. This was a DOWNGRADE from my otherwise perfect / non-degraded Spec B to a Spec A battery (yes, with a.o. the SC limitation from 120kW to 84kW). Tesla’s freaking lawyer would not even answer my inquiry for (payed) reinstatement of my old battery… Safe from this drama, Tesla has done a reasonable job in maintaining this intensively used car, with a fare balance between coulance and paying-through-the-nose..(and I'm still in love with this car like on day one..)

Back to today: “new” pack is well-treated; operating range 30%-90%, practically all AC charge and average consumption of 193wh/km (in miles: really low). Full (98%) charge this morning, battery-first-time ever I guess….down to…

198 miles or 318 km.

A 120km supercharge from near-empty takes half an hour; and if I need to run the battery down to <7% on dash I also need to call a tow truck, as the car shuts down. This degradation, (in kWh; range doesn’t count), is still within 30% warranty-limit, but way off compared to you concerned owners with 6% degradation…

This must be the current world record in untreated degradation…
Anyone had / knows of a similar case, where Tesla successfully helped out?
If nothing else, hope you feel better about your own MS's ;-)

View attachment 600794

Yes, recap correct, re-manufactured A-pack indeed...thx for benchmarking with a fresh battery; 25% is actually getting close to warranty level...

kWh approach yields same 25% degradation as range; (approx 58kWh left, derived from dash, on a usable design capacity of 77,5kWh)
Tesla can't retro-cap the voltage of the battery; it's voltage is by design; voltage output capping would not influence capacity or range, but would cap max power (V*I), which I still have (albeit a little short-and-tired).

There's no Tesla software conspiracy, just a gradually tired-out battery from 2012, when the MS was not even introduced yet here in the Netherlands...sounds like a conspiracy in itself ;-). So if your MS is out for service for more than a few days; take your Iphone, and do a blind picture underneath the car, behind your RF wheel. If it looks anything like pic below; consider yourself FUBAR...

Anyone near, or even close to this level of degradation, preferably with a solution as well?

View attachment 601120
Your new battery is not the dreaded "A pack" from 2012. You are misinterpreting Tesla's part numbers - they follow a <part>-<subpart>-<version> scheme. When a new part number is allocated, it starts with version "A". You can only compare version letters if part/subpart are identical.

See the battery table thread - Battery table

The dreaded "A pack" is 1014114-00-A. 1088815-01-A (your battery) is a completely different animal. 1088815-01-??? is a remanufactured, not new, battery (look at the top of the label which is cut off in your picture, you'll see it says "ASY,HV BATTERY,S3BB,REMAN,MD", showing it's a remanufactured battery.

My car came with 1014114-00-E, which is a "true" E-pack. It was later replaced with a remanufactured battery, 1088815-01-E

• Informative
Reactions: alloverx
Technically, you're correct, TGA, that my pack is not the "dreaded A pack from 2012", as it is the re-manufactured dreaded A pack from 2012... It obtains a new serial-sticker (you can tell where the original sticker was), but keeps the A-letter, the 84kw charge cap, and the (lower left on sticker) corresponding '12 production year...this pack started it's life as a true dreaded A-pack (1014114-00-A), and was re-badged....Tesla worked with loaner-packs in the beginning; my MS ended up as the end-station for this loaner pack...

Concerning is the second, also correct remark by Rocky_H; thanks for you check. For the live of me; I cannot find any degradation level in any MS warranty EU or US, new or old, giving me any right to replacement...it is down to courtesy by Tesla...Or Tesla's Amsterdam lawyer...again... Wish me luck, and keep an eye out for the A-packs underneath your own car...I'll report back if something exiting happens.

@PTMM, this would be a bit of a divergence from how they've used version letters in the past, but your serial number/date code theory is interesting. I suppose they could have a one-to-one mapping of new part/subpart to reman part/subpart, and preserve version letters. My 2014's original and replacement battery both have a serial number starting with T14 (which I interpret as 2014 date code) and a -E suffix, even though different part numbers (original: 1014114-00-E, replacement: 1088815-01-E), which sort of supports your theory.

In the US, you are guaranteed a replacement battery with at least as much range as your original; I don't know the Netherlands' warranty terms. Do you know your original battery part number? What was your range before/after replacement?

@PTMM, this would be a bit of a divergence from how they've used version letters in the past, but your serial number/date code theory is interesting. I suppose they could have a one-to-one mapping of new part/subpart to reman part/subpart, and preserve version letters. My 2014's original and replacement battery both have a serial number starting with T14 (which I interpret as 2014 date code) and a -E suffix, even though different part numbers (original: 1014114-00-E, replacement: 1088815-01-E), which sort of supports your theory.

In the US, you are guaranteed a replacement battery with at least as much range as your original; I don't know the Netherlands' warranty terms. Do you know your original battery part number? What was your range before/after replacement?

My original pack was the 1014114-00-B; the replacement pack had very similar range at that time; believe 330km @90%SoC. Degradation happened during my period of use (although intensive use following possibly 6 years on the shelf can't be beneficial). All other battery capacities than range were worse from the beginning, (regen, super-charging capacity/taper, duration of max power output, self-discharge) but Tesla solely considers range/kWh.

The latest Tesla warranty (feb. 2020) does state <70% remaining capacity as a trigger for replacement (but caps warranty at 150k miles...) Might be ground for a new discussion with Tesla on my approx 70% battery, which I've used for 120.000km only...keep you posted.

2013 S 85kW, 40k miles, 100% charge is 250mi rated. Third owner. Don't think the previous two drove it a whole lot or used superchargers all too often. That, or the battery has been replaced at some point. Regardless, I've been pretty happy with it!

My original pack was the 1014114-00-B; the replacement pack had very similar range at that time; believe 330km @90%SoC. Degradation happened during my period of use (although intensive use following possibly 6 years on the shelf can't be beneficial). All other battery capacities than range were worse from the beginning, (regen, super-charging capacity/taper, duration of max power output, self-discharge) but Tesla solely considers range/kWh.

The latest Tesla warranty (feb. 2020) does state <70% remaining capacity as a trigger for replacement (but caps warranty at 150k miles...) Might be ground for a new discussion with Tesla on my approx 70% battery, which I've used for 120.000km only...keep you posted.

YES! my very tired (70%) A-spec P85 HV-battery shut down the car the other day while SoC still in yellow. (on a highway / rush hour / bridge / dark / rain / wind...) Tesla replaced the battery, after 7 years and 333k km, under warranty, for a decent V3 2014 pack. (1088815-01-D). Got range back, 110 kW supercharge (albeit for a few seconds only) and the venomous, rear-tire-munching acceleration like on day 1. They got it back to a level that it can compete, today, with any other new EV out there...after 5000 hours of intensive use....how...?
Praise and glory, king Elon!

6 Mar 2021 w/ 59909 miles, 234 rated miles (68.2 kWh NomFullPack)
29 Oct 2021 w/ 65000 miles, 225 rated miles. :(

Charge up to 70% every night, only super charge maybe 2-3 times a year.

June 9th 2015 85D with 45k miles. Store at 57%, keep mainly between 25-77%. Only above 90% about 10 times, never 100%. Never below 23%.

77kwh nominal capacity and 265 RM.

Got a weak string two in module two, cell mismatch 10-40mv.

Last edited:
2014 P85+ I bought 2 months ago with 84k miles. Now has 90k. Prior owner bought it CPO from Tesla 2yrs ago.
Charging to 100% says 246 miles. Only Supercharged about 10 times so far since I've had it and took it on a trip.
Normally charging to 75% (379v) and rated range says 182 miles.
After charging to 75% last night, SMY says lifetime charging AC has 26,356 total kWH, DC 4,819. Nominal full pack 71.4 and SOC expected is 75.5. Cell difference of .005v, so I hope my battery lasts a long time as my warranty runs out in March.

Attachments

• IMG_3396.PNG
    IMG_3396.PNG
    425.3 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_3397.PNG
    IMG_3397.PNG
    406.9 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_3398.PNG
    IMG_3398.PNG
    430 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_3399.PNG
    IMG_3399.PNG