Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7 years later what is your 100% on your 85kWh battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The US rated is Typical in Europe, seemingly same. Strange they use same names "rated" for different things:/
It is annoying and strange, but there is a reason for it. The automotive efficiency rating agency in Europe is the NEDC. Their ratings are outrageous fantasy and way too high. The rating agency in U.S. is the EPA, and their ratings are about 25% lower than the NEDC values and much closer to reality. So that is why the "rated" values are so different in the two places.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
Hi!

I have an S 85 late 2014 build with 32K miles on 2019.4-.23.ef2d4d1432

2 1/2 hours to charge from 11%-98% (charging completed)-set to 100% though)-max Kw-53 for a few seconds.

Rated range=230 miles vs. 267 ideal.

Any advice on the health of the battery/cells/bricks/balanced, etc?

Thank you very much

FURY

Hi!

2 1/2 hours to charge from 11%-98% (charging completed)-set to 100% though)-max Kw-53 for a few seconds.

Thank you very much

FURY
I’m in the same boat SuC with ‘15 P85D. Hoping I get a 400V 100kwh replacement soon. I read my car can’t use the new 350V 85kwh pack. The range is 236 miles.

Tesla Service said the remotely tested my battery and said "..no problem..." whatever that means. I did hear a high pitch whistling when charging for the 1st 15 minutes and the last 1 hour and 15 minutes though, which they said I had to ring in the car to them for analysis.

Did they say your battery needs replacement?

Thank you very much

FURY

3937864F-4257-4FDF-BA5A-A39A1397052D.jpeg

Early 2015 P85D with 36km. Looking very healthy with 4% degradation. Nominal full pack is 78.5. Rarely supercharged (194kWh DC vs 8,060kWh AC). This is screenshot from TM-SPY (IOS variant of Androids Scan my Tesla).

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
After reading these posts about everyone's current mileage, I'm seeing a lot of replies regarding our car's inability to charge to 100%. I am also experiencing this, and was not aware that it is a widespread issue. I've been going back and forth with Tesla about this and they can't see any issue with my battery, and have blamed this on the calibration of the BMS (battery management system). Does anyone have any real insight on this issue? Are we really not getting our 100% charge or is this just a software bug where we are getting to 100% but the car isnt catching up?

2014 85kwh 57,000 miles 97% charge (because it won't let me get to 100% anymore) about 248 miles.

Reactions: 2012MS85
To All you 2015/2016 model S owners:

I am considering buying second hand, instead of a brand new model 3, as I hopefully will get more bang for a buck and less depreciation.

what do you guys think? Are you still happy with your current model s, or are you getting frustrated by the slower mcu1 and not having ap3?

I am considering buying second hand, instead of a brand new model 3, as I hopefully will get more bang for a buck and less depreciation.

what do you guys think? Are you still happy with your current model s, or are you getting frustrated by the slower mcu1 and not having ap3?
One more thing to consider (I see you are also in Geneva) is the charging networks in the EU. Yes, you could use CHAdeMO with an adaptor or slower Type 2, but the M3 has CCS which is supported on all fast chargers. For me, time is money too and saving time on charging with all the CCS options available was a large driver towards the M3.

I picked up a 2015 P85D+ 3 months ago with low mileage/mint condition (33k/4% battery degradation, 2 more years full warrantee). I could have done a new P3D as an option. I have zero regrets and would do it again in a heartbeat. Black with chrome delete and new FBR, tints, 21’s with lowering links and 20mm spacers. My P3D friends drool. My AP1 seems to drive smoother than their AP3 for some reason. Both of your options are still driving like you are in the future.

I recently sold one of our Model S's and bought a Model 3, and I'm going to give you my thoughts on this.

Cons:
1) This is a smaller car, absolutely. We really miss the hatchback aspect of the Model S, as it makes for far more storage than the 3 has. In my opinion, that is the only significant design flaw on this car. Our doberman, who rides in the back of the S, agrees whole heartedly on this one (she hates riding between the kids in the 3).
2) I miss the instrument cluster in the S. For better or worse, I really want that screen in front of me.

Pros:
1) The drivetrain on the 3 is head and shoulders above that in the S and X. I know this on the surface may sound controversial, but hear me out on this one. If you are a long-time S/X owner there are little things you got used to that you wished were always a little bit better, but you brushed them aside in your head because the car was so much better than what every other manufacturer builds. With the 3, those are gone. Examples include:
- a) The charging experience is MUCH nicer for long trips. Even if you are not at a V3 supercharger, the car charges at full speed for longer, and tapers far later in the experience. When I was driving my P85 cross-country I was spending 30-35% of my time charging, vs. driving (yes, I kept logs and calculated). In the Performance 3 I have now, even with spirited driving, I'm in the 15-20% area for total time of trip spent charging. That is obviously lower if I managed to hit a V3 supercharger. It makes a huge difference for distance driving.
- b) The motor is more refined (less of a concern in Raven Model S/X), as there is absolutely zero noise from it. Both our P85s had a bit of a high-pitched whine to them.
2) Handling - this car handles like it is on RAILS. It reminds me of a true sports sedan like the BMW M3. The Model S with the + suspension is close, but I would give the edge to the Model 3. It truly is a driver's car in that regards.
3) Fit and finish - as one of my buddies said "The Model 3 is where Tesla really put on their big boy pants and learned how to make cars.". Yes, you will hear stories of the early 3's with paint and fit and finish problem, but anything late 2018 or later is put together VERY well. The seams between the panels are great and the paint is uniform and well-applied. There are no rattles in the cabin.
4) Battery degradation - while this one is still partially unknown, there are enough high-mileage 3's out there now that we have a decent idea on how degradation is looking compared to the packs used in the S/X, and the degradation curve looks to be substantially shallower than on the S/X. It looks like all of Tesla's R/D on battery technology really paid off for their first mainstream car.
5) Autopilot - I came from a car with no AP, so anything was a huge upgrade for me here.

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: UrsS and Michachael
Hi!

Thank you very much

FURY

You have about the same range I have with a Nov 2014 S85 with 118k miles on it

Had my used P85D for a little over a year. The MCU1 speed is negligible, annoying yes but not a deal breaker. Not having AP3 just depends on how much you really want to rely on being close to FSD. AP1 is quite good for road trips and highway cruising which is all I'd ask from it. My biggest gripe now is the reduced supercharging speed. When I bought my car I was charging at a max 115-110kwhs and since 'chargegate' I haven't my speed anywhere near that. Think I've only peaked at around 60kwh since then which is embarrassing. Love my S but kinda regret either not getting a P90D or P3D now that they gimped my car severely since my purchase.

One more thing to consider (I see you are also in Geneva) is the charging networks in the EU. Yes, you could use CHAdeMO with an adaptor or slower Type 2, but the M3 has CCS which is supported on all fast chargers. For me, time is money too and saving time on charging with all the CCS options available was a large driver towards the M3.

You can have the CCS also in Europe for old cars, 500€!! at Tesla Service Center

@webbah, it is a small adapter, and of course you can get same speed as on Superchargers. Not a problem for 85. My friend with a 2014 S 85 has got his, and everything is wonderful.

Here is more: https://ww.electrek.co/2019/05/07/tesla-ccs-adapter-model-s-x-retrofits/#
I’m saying there is no way you will get the same speeds as a Model 3 with native CCS. Firstly, battery chemistry is different. Second, the 85 pack is the worst pack Tesla made for supercharger longevity. Don’t believe me? Here’s the data:

Tesla Supercharging - Summer 2019 Update
Faster Tesla Supercharging - How does it actually perform?