Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All Tesla Models will get Range/Power increase (not just SR+) of 5%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually it does use 25% more power. From 57 watts to 72 watts

Tesla’s new self-driving chip is here, and this is your best look yet

Don't confuse more efficient. It's 21x more powerful and only uses 25% more watts.

Not sure if it can throttle back when not needed.

Right. This is what I’ve been saying but the message somehow isn’t getting through: don’t confuse efficiency with power draw. We’re definitely getting a LOT of functionality and efficiency for that 25% more power consumption, but HW3 still uses more power.

@Garlan Garner has it right here.... Give me true single pedal driving. I don't care how you do it. Increase low speed regen, use friction brakes, whatever. Point is that I don't need to constantly switch pedals to complete my stop. Obviously AP already does this because I am not touching ANY pedals when it is engaged.

Interestingly, using friction brakes at the last little bit actually is preferred because it keeps the brakes in working order. If regen was used 100% of the time, your friction brakes would begin to seize and not reliability function. Come to think of it, maybe phantom braking is just Tesla keeping the brakes in working condition ;)

I prefer One Pedal Parking, so I leave creep on.
Similarly, I left creep on so that my foot would be on the brake pedal in parking scenarios. I'm having second thoughts though because I have caught myself trying to exit the car before I put it in park. Luckily the car saved my butt by putting the car in PARK automatically when I opened the door.

For me, this really comes down to anxiety over what my reflex will be when I have to stop immediately in a parking scenario. Will I stomp on the pedal ? That would be bad if my foot is on the go pedal.

I'm talking about physics. The potential energy that can be harvested as rpm approaches zero goes so low (and is obviously zero at no speed) that you can no longer apply significant stopping force. You end up slowing the last little bit from just friction (with the ground, in the drive train, etc). This isn't something that software can magically change. There may be more available than is currently there, I am not sure, but you aren't stopping with regen without making new physics. The friction brakes will always be involved (either manually as it is today, or via software, when they do one-pedal driving) at low speeds.

One can drag the motor to zero RPM by using whatever scheme you have implemented for "reverse". Sort of like switching your ceiling fan into reverse while it is running. It will brake to zero and then start moving in the opposite direction. Tesla may be utilizing something similar for one pedal driving to avoid the friction brakes until it senses zero angular velocity in the drive train. This would require some minor expenditure of battery energy when regen tapers off at low speed (so improved brake wear at the expense of some minor net efficiency loss)

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
One can drag the motor to zero RPM by using whatever scheme you have implemented for "reverse". Sort of like switching your ceiling fan into reverse while it is running. It will brake to zero and then start moving in the opposite direction. Tesla may be utilizing something similar for one pedal driving to avoid the friction brakes until it senses zero angular velocity in the drive train.

Sounds possible, but what would be the advantage over friction brakes? I imagine running it in reverse to come to a stop would negate some of the range gains from the increased use of regen.

Not to derail this apparently already derailed thread, but there was mention of both a mileage increase AND a charging speed increase for SR/SR+.

"Musk also said that the upcoming update will also bring improvements to the range, single-pedal driving, Supercharging speed, comfort, and feel."

Right now the SR+ is limited to 100kw and I'm interested in any rate changes there.

Reactions: Stach
Advantage is that you can be lazy with your right foot and (very) minor improvement in brake wear.

You could be just as lazy if they blended in friction brakes. Running motor in reverse to stop would take energy.

My guess is they lowered the min speed of regen and blended friction brakes for that last mph or 2. Otherwise it would not be smooth or efficient.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Not to derail this apparently already derailed thread, but there was mention of both a mileage increase AND a charging speed increase for SR/SR+.

"Musk also said that the upcoming update will also bring improvements to the range, single-pedal driving, Supercharging speed, comfort, and feel."

Right now the SR+ is limited to 100kw and I'm interested in any rate changes there.
Nice try to put the thread back on topic. Doubt you will be successful, but kudos!

AFAIK, there was nothing in the conference call or since then about what the SR/SR+ charging speed improvement will be.

And people are going to be sorely disappointed if they think the range increase will be commensurate with the power increase. It won't be. (Prepared to eat my hat if it is.)

Reactions: APotatoGod