Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Model Y with new projector headlights in the USA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How was the memo proven wrong? Someone has a non performance MY with new headlights?
The memo said ALL models globally would have it by Q1 2021. Didnt happen, unless the memo was interpreted incorrectly, and April 1st build day = first LR with new headlights (PS, get ready for that April Fools joke...).

So, the "sourced memo from a sales associate" and article are wrong.

Edit: I think the more recently mentioned SA memo regarding MYP only, holds more water, and is just as credible.

Yes. The original was Elon. The same Elon who said a SR Y would never be produced.

The new memo was circulated through sales so it might hold more weight. At least til the end of this quarter. Since I assume it’s goal was to prevent people from delaying for lights. By telling them they aren’t coming. And all of the other circumstances point to it being true. LR MY isn’t exported so it doesn’t need the new lights. They cost 4 times as much so only available for premium (performance) vehicles.

Didn't the memo say by the end of Q1? That's another 1.5 weeks from now and we haven't seen any MYs built in the past few weeks.
Per the Electrik article:

"We are transitioning Model 3 and Model Y to a new headlight design, which is eventually going to be consistent across all variants, globally. By Q1 2021, we expect all Model 3 and Model Y vehicles to feature this new unit."

Nothing about "end" just "by" Q1, which can mean many things. Start, middle, end, all, some... cut in at start of Q2...

Or the memo was just a rumor (no one has seen or posted the actual memo).

Per the Electrik article:

"We are transitioning Model 3 and Model Y to a new headlight design, which is eventually going to be consistent across all variants, globally. By Q1 2021, we expect all Model 3 and Model Y vehicles to feature this new unit."

Nothing about "end" just "by" Q1, which can mean many things. Start, middle, end, all, some... cut in at start of Q2...

Or the memo was just a rumor (no one has seen or posted the actual memo).
Remember in Tesla time, Q1 may stretch all the way to March 68th.
I don’t think one should read into that statement a precision finer than a whole quarter for a high confidence of seeing the transition. ie. Don’t hold your breath or mark it on your calendar.

(to each their own, but if you are the type that may have buyers remorse because of the headlight, there will always be something just on the horizon. Also there’s the science of satisficing and all that jazz.)

Remember in Tesla time, Q1 may stretch all the way to March 68th.
I don’t think one should read into that statement a precision finer than a whole quarter for a high confidence of seeing the transition. ie. Don’t hold your breath or mark it on your calendar.

(to each their own, but if you are the type that may have buyers remorse because of the headlight, there will always be something just on the horizon. Also there’s the science of satisficing and all that jazz.)
Im still waiting for an actual sourced reference, or other leaks with no proof...

"Show me"

• Love
Reactions: EchoDelta
Just checked out my car slated for delivery tomorrow (MY LR 5, VIN 156XXX) and it seems the headlights are still old. Everything else is updated.

IMG_0852.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Undisclosed
Probably will end up changing my LR RWD to LR AWD sometime when the new head lights come around, hopefully the price won't increase during that time as I was kind of bummed out I missed out on the $48,990 price for the LR ($1,000 cheaper) as I could have probably put the order on hold... At this point I have been waiting so long I might as well keep waiting for a 2022 model...

Im still waiting for an actual sourced reference, or other leaks with no proof...

"Show me"
I agree. I think the leaked memo about the lights being canceled on LR Y makes a lot of sense but it would be nice to see proof. Right now the fact that they are turning CA orders around in 48 hours means they are selling every car they are producing and that seems to be quite a lot but they still haven’t “worked through their old inventory” like some people think. To me, they would be putting the old lights on all cars being delivered in the US until they ran out if they really wanted to get rid of them but there could be some truth to keeping them on any non-p Y and keeping it that way.

What I am missing in this discussion is taking into account the fact that Tesla doesn't advertise that the MYP has the new lights - obviously if it would really be a way to entice people to buy an MYP (over e.g. a LR AWD + AB) you'd think they would do that. That negates quite a bit of reasoning in the posts above about why it's only on the MYP.

Reactions: casey1202
What I am missing in this discussion is taking into account the fact that Tesla doesn't advertise that the MYP has the new lights - obviously if it would really be a way to entice people to buy an MYP (over e.g. a LR AWD + AB) you'd think they would do that. That negates quite a bit of reasoning in the posts above about why it's only on the MYP.
Does it advertise the delta in brakes and suspension? Or just that it rides lower with wider rear tires?

Good point, the Tesla website is extremely poor in putting up just about any detailed spec. Some of those details are in the owner's manual though.
I think youre potentially on to something. Im sure when something new pops up on any of their vehicles, the buzz generated by the new item drives new customers in, or rxisting customers to upgrade.

Maybe they needed to sell more MYP before bringing it to the LR

If they really cared that much about the lights, it may also entice them into a SR Model 3 which comes with them.

"Show me"

I'm having a hard time buying so much skepticism behind the MY LR getting these when the cheapest Tesla you can buy already had them as standard equipment. It makes no sense to have one variant with the only one being produced with a special set of lights. Especially when said variant is priced at premium over its less expensive sibling.

If they really cared that much about the lights, it may also entice them into a SR Model 3 which comes with them.

I'm having a hard time buying so much skepticism behind the MY LR getting these when the cheapest Tesla you can buy already had them as standard equipment. It makes no sense to have one variant with the only one being produced with a special set of lights. Especially when said variant is priced at premium over its less expensive sibling.
As a previous poster pointed out, Tesla is exporting the lowest model 3, to europe where the function of the lights is legal, but they are not exporting the Y.

Skepticism is healthy, it goes along with being a realist and avoiding disappointment. If the lights are on my LR when it's delivered, I'll end up being excited. If they arent present, I will have expected it and it wont deteriorate my experience.

Skepticism is healthy, it goes along with being a realist and avoiding disappointment. If the lights are on my LR when it's delivered, I'll end up being excited. If they arent present, I will have expected it and it wont deteriorate my experience.

This is still logically inconsistent.

If it's easy to have variation in assembly on the Model Y; presumably they do so for a cost savings on the Model Y. If this were the case, the same savings they see on the Model Y would apply to the Model 3's sold in North America. Why not also have the same variation on the Model 3 as Y? Clearly it's overall less costly to have no variation, which is exactly why eventually the MY LR will also get these same lights. Because in manufacturing, support, and design having less variation is less costly.

Last edited:
Reactions: casey1202
This is still logically inconsistent.

If it's easy to have variation in assembly on the Model Y; presumably they do so for a cost savings on the Model Y. If this were the case, the same savings they see on the Model Y would apply to the Model 3's sold in North America. Why not also have the same variation on the Model 3 as Y? Clearly it's overall less costly to have no variation, which is exactly why eventually the MY LR will also get these same lights. Because in manufacturing, support, and design having less variation is less costly.
When there is a $1,500 per light difference?

I'm still not even convinced the 2 are plug and play compatible. Would like to see the plug on both varients as well as the wiring harness.

"Show me"