Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Model Y with new projector headlights in the USA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla won’t but you can buy your own wheels. Maybe even swap with someone for Gemini’s who wants 21s
I purchased a set in “take off” Geminis and will use them for 3 seasons of the year, here in Seattle - 4, if I can sell the brand new 21” Uberturbines in the next week or so. I pick up my MYP tomorrow, 9/18. Posted an ad on Craigslist Seattle yesterday, for the Uberturbines.

I just picked up my MY last week. Drove it for the first time at night (old projector headlights) and they are awesome. Not sure I get the big deal about the new ones. From videos I’ve seen they are maybe a 10% improvement. Not worth all the effort imho. Ohh and to confirm 271xxx still has old headlights.

Attachments

• 34940FAA-725B-4401-89FC-49CDF52641F2.jpeg
    34940FAA-725B-4401-89FC-49CDF52641F2.jpeg
    384.4 KB · Views: 145
If a Tesla mobile tech couldn’t get this working for you, a local shop isn’t going to be able to do its either. Unless your mobile shop has a paid hacker on the payroll. There are many hackers out there who would love to make this type of upgrade available because of how much money they could make offering updates like this.

Is your local shop authorized by Tesla to do repairs? If not, how are they obtaining the configuration software? I would be highly skeptical of a non authorized repair shop getting hacked Tesla code and having to hack that to upgrade your headlights. Bricking a $60,000 car just for new headlights? Sell your Y, buy a MYP.

• Love
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
If a Tesla mobile tech couldn’t get this working for you, a local shop isn’t going to be able to do its either. Unless your mobile shop has a paid hacker on the payroll. There are many hackers out there who would love to make this type of upgrade available because of how much money they could make offering updates like this.

Is your local shop authorized by Tesla to do repairs? If not, how are they obtaining the configuration software? I would be highly skeptical of a non authorized repair shop getting hacked Tesla code and having to hack that to upgrade your headlights. Bricking a $60,000 car just for new headlights? Sell your Y, buy a MYP.

@Mrbrock yeah I've been following this discussion and thinking similarly to you. It seems like a whole lot of time and effort for very little payback. Also, it's quite likely to become a cat-and-mouse game of software updates from Tesla disabling the lights and then having the hacker re-apply, rinse and repeat.

@Mrbrock yeah I've been following this discussion and thinking similarly to you. It seems like a whole lot of time and effort for very little payback. Also, it's quite likely to become a cat-and-mouse game of software updates from Tesla disabling the lights and then having the hacker re-apply, rinse and repeat.
From my understanding based on my conversation with the shop, once you update the configuration of the car, the software updates will not affect the headlights, because the car will download the correct/apply the correct updates based on the new configuration.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung