Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are the Tesla Service Centers bad enough to cancel my Model 3 order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a Model 3 about a week ago and it is scheduled to be delivered next Tuesday (5/21/19). I've seen some threads where people are describing the horror of taking their Model 3 into a service center (Mainly for body repairs). On more than one occasion there was someone who was without their car for 6 months+.

After reading so many people telling the same story this got me a little concerned. I am not really willing to be without my car for half of a year while it sits idle at a service center.

So what I am curious about is others experience with this, and mainly with how it went regarding body panels. How did Tesla handle your repairs?

Thank you in advance for your input!

• Funny
Reactions: CarlK
I ordered a Model 3 about a week ago and it is scheduled to be delivered next Tuesday (5/21/19). I've seen some threads where people are describing the horror of taking their Model 3 into a service center (Mainly for body repairs). On more than one occasion there was someone who was without their car for 6 months+.

After reading so many people telling the same story this got me a little concerned. I am not really willing to be without my car for half of a year while it sits idle at a service center.

So what I am curious about is others experience with this, and mainly with how it went regarding body panels. How did Tesla handle your repairs?

I've had service twice; once at a service center to replace a faulty latch, and once for winter tire installation. Both were pleasant experiences (friendly staff, nice waiting room, and nominal service time), but I also booked in advance and it was nothing urgent.

Service Centers generally do not do body repairs. There are several in house Tesla body repair shops currently in operation. If you can not go to one of those then Tesla has a network of approved third party repair centers. It is true that there are long delays to get body repair work done because Tesla does not stock parts in inventory so many body panel parts need to be custom built for each repair.

As far as doing routine maintenance the service centers are busy but they generally do pretty good work. If your car is completely down you can usually get in right away. If you need something that is not urgent you may have to wait a few weeks if you are trying to go to one of the busier service centers.

I would not cancel your order over these concerns but you do need to be aware that there is more risk of long term delays when you have an accident then other car manufacturers that have much more mature repair networks in place.

According to your profile you’re in the DC metro area so your service center experience will likely be better than what people are experiencing in California which is ground zero. I’m in NJ and haven’t had any insane wait times for appointments yet, although I haven’t had many major issues and haven’t needed any body repairs or things that would likely be a more lengthy repair. Half of my service experiences with Tesla so far have been with their mobile service techs which is incredibly convenient. I’ve had much much much worse experiences at traditional auto dealers (obviously). I wouldn’t rank my Tesla service experiences as spectacular so far but I don’t think any company could ever get to that level.

This site has lots of helpful people.
Lots of great info, and lots of threads to help you with what you need.

This site is also loaded with people that are chronic complainers that need attention, and want others to complain with them.
Take what those folks say with a grain of salt.

First, Teslas don't need "service" unless you're talking about changing windshield wipers. As there are no rapidly spinning, vibrating, exploding things going on, you don't need oil changes, filters, or a new engine in under 500,000 miles. I am on my second and third Teslas and have never taken any of the three in for service. I had 82,000 miles on first one, am working on 100,000 on my second, and the "new car", the 3, has over 12,000 miles. Never any service in about 195,000 miles. These are not gas cars. The batteries are warrantied for 8 years and should last 15. As a side note, batteries tend to degrade with use, so range will drop 5-7% in first year and then taper off to about 1% per year after that.

Second, routine work like tire rotations or new tires are best bought at a Tire Store, or buy at Tire Rack and have a local tire shop put them on. Mine cost about $25-30 per tire to do mount and balance. I find I get about twice the mileage on Michelins, but your mileage may vary (YMMV). As to body work, I take mine to my local body shop. As we have a bunch of Teslas here in CA, they just added a certified Tesla body man. It still takes a long time to get parts, but the local guys are often way faster than a Tesla SC.

That's the reality of it. Yes, every now and then you get a disgruntled customer, but the vastest largest majority are happy campers. No, they are drivers, spelled with a grin.

Even if you assume the worst case, you would still get a loaner.

Apart from my minor due bill issues I asked to be fixed (which were and very happy with the work), my Sept 2018 Model 3 has not seen a service center for work. My husband's Model S was scraped down the rear side by a careless truck driver backing out of an adjacent parking spot and his time in the body shop for fender, dent and bumper was just shy of a week--that was in January or February I think. Other than his regular maintenance no other visits needed.

I'm just concerned about getting hit then having to have it repaired. In that case I don't get a loaner car and have to get a rental through insurance.

How often are you getting hit now? Do you expect that % to go up 10 fold now in a Model 3?

Anything can happen doesn't mean it will happen.

If the hit is minor, drive the car while waiting for parts.

If the hit is severe, would you rather have been in an i3?

I can SORT of understand not getting a Performance Model because those 20" wheels will be more expensive to replace and you are going to get less range. There are known and reproducible consequences of making that choice.

Not getting a Model 3 because MAYBE, I will get hit. MAYBE I will survive. MAYBE I will have to wait for half a year to get parts (doubt this). MAYBE I won't be able to drive while waiting for however long the parts are.

In exchange for your "risk taking" you are driving the best automobile in the $35,400 to $70,000 price range. That is a CERTAINTY.

You are smart enough to express concerns. You were given an intelligent and logical reply in return.

Your move.

Last edited:
We have owned 6 Teslas over the past decade. Recently there have been some delays, but not for too long, and they were minor issues. The service isn't perfect, but no way would I consider it a deal breaker.

Keep in mind that Tesla has higher owner satisfaction numbers than any other automaker; and those numbers have all the service issues baked in. While I believe most of the service stories I read, and it is possible you could have some service trouble...chances are greater that you will be less satisfied if you buy something else.

Last edited:
Reactions: UncaNed and jerry33