TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Auto Park Accident

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Landsurfer, Feb 7, 2017.

1. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm Active Member

Funny, I went from Tesla Autopark to my wife's new BMW and tried Autopark only to not quite realize I had to do the braking input myself... nearly drove right into the car behind me! Scary situation to say the least. I still like/trust the Tesla system.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  2. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm Active Member

Yes... quite sure. I can even hear the noise of the pedal moving (kind of a light clunk) when it engages for the stop/go traffic. I don't have my car right now to test it though.

3. ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️

⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️ In loving memory of Version 8

The brake pedal definitely moves when TACC is active. For sure, no question about it.

• Informative x 1
  4. Chrisizzle

Chrisizzle Member

I rarely use auto park because it's so much slower than parking myself. However, I used it as a novelty two days ago between a parked car and a cement pole/structure. The car almost hit the pole and was way off center before I took control back.

I assumed the pole didn't provide enough surface area for the sensors to work.

5. Looking-for-S

Looking-for-S Member

Sorry to the OP.

Will second comments that it doesn't seem reliable enough to use. I'm very surprised the insurance companies haven't been going after Tesla on this.

I used it three times. First time was just perfect, second time it seemed about to clip an adjacent car with the corner of the rear bumper and I overrode it, third time it seemed to pick way too sharp an angle and I thought it would scrape the side of my car and overrode that. And now I don't trust it and don't use it.

6. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

If you watch the self driving demo videos, you can actually see the brake pedal move up and down.

7. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

#27 chillaban, Feb 9, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    It will move when the brake travel is more than ~50% or so, such as for coming to a complete stop. Bosch iBooster has a spring and servo mechanism which can partly separate the brake pedal input from the actuation of the master cylinder but only to a limit.

Small brake commands won't necessarily move the pedal, but large ones will. I spent more time than I should admit staring at my brake pedal this morning :D

[​IMG]

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  8. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

All the ones I've seen vidoes of so far involve auto park simply not clearing a bumper of another car or a wall resulting in collision. The Tesla bumper corners will pass within inches of other cars bumpers or walls. So close that it's impossible without an all around 360 camera(like every other luxury car has) to see just how close you really are. Therefore you either trust it all the time and cross your fingers or decide to never trust.

I'm just going to quote myself from one of the other threads:

• Like x 3
  9. phaduman

phaduman Supporting Member

Oh man - sorry to see that accident. I was trusting auto park (that exact thing - the precise measurement of the parking sensors to come that close to the car ahead for maximum efficiency) but your camera just proved I shouldn't after all rely so much. I have only parked 2 or 3 times using auto-park - I guess I will stop doing that even for demos - not worth the accidents/time/cost. Thanks for sharing and forewarning.

• Like x 1
  10. MPI72

MPI72 New Member

Thanks for posting in detail what happened to you..
    I have a Model X and today I engaged the Auto-park to reverse into a spot that the Tesla recognized. The results were similar to what you described. 1) Tesla detect a parking spot; 2) reverse started and an acceleration occurred; 3) middle rear of Tesla ran into back corner of a Chevy Volt that was parked. It almost seemed that it was going to park in the Volt's spot. It did not maneuver at all to the open spot next to the Volt. The Volt's bumper will need to be replaced. There is a dent in the tailgate and the bumper is damaged also.
    I also have used Auto Park in the past without any problems. From your and other posts I will not use it again.

• Informative x 2
  11. timvracer

timvracer Member

I won't use autopark, simply not worth the risk.

• Like x 1
  12. milleron

milleron Member

The saddest part of these vignettes is that all other manufacturers have been able to implement flawlessly reliable autopark for many years in vehicles that rely solely on US sensors for detection and control of the automobiles. WHY does this implementation, available on too many other makes of cars to list, so defy the engineers at Tesla? This is not a rhetorical question; I seriously wonder what is the problem with the hardware/software on Teslas that makes them seem like clown cars next to something as mundane as a Ford Fusion which gets autoparking exactly right every time.

• Like x 1
  13. OlaA

OlaA New Member

Hi

Got my Model X autopark crashing 30 minutes after it was picked up, brand new! No help to get from Tesla, they didn't even want to check the sensors or if something was malfunctioning. Only reply was its the owners responsibility. Very disappointed, Tesla needs to address this. I bought the car with 360 degree view, but it seems that didn't help.

Never trust the Autopark, nor Teslas statements.

• Like x 1
  14. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

360 view? When did Tesla add that?

15. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

Sorry that it happens to you. Autopilot, summon, autopark... still can get you into accidents. And that is a current expectation. That is its current limitations and design.

Tesla standard line: "It works as designed. Nothing is wrong. It's your responsibility"

That's why you should only use it if you are good at babysitting the automation system.

By the way, it's true that you bought 8 cameras surrounding your car but please remember that currently, they are not all activated. Owners tested and block them by tapes and the maximum currently active are 2 front cameras.

Someday, your car can drive itself so you don't have babysit it anymore, but you know how long a baby grow into teenager, it may take a long long time!

16. Gesteur

Gesteur Member

I never really trusted the autopark, so i always am prepared to brake. I also can confirm that while autoparking the car accelerated, i managed to stop it in time. It was taking a too wide angle and would have bumped the other car next to it. Perpendicular parking.
    Not gonna trust it for now and for sure I can expect tesla not taking any responsibility if something happened.

17. mattack4000

mattack4000 Active Member

I look at it this way. If the spot is so small that I need someone to help me, it’s probably not worth parking......

18. Galve2000

Galve2000 Member

Oh.My.God!!

19. Stiction

Stiction Member

I don't use autopark, I don't use summon.

And ...I am extremely careful with autosteer...watch it like a hawk. Good for covering you when you are tired as long as you are covering for it, too.

I love the car but consider all this stuff toys that should be very carefully played with

20. ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️

⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️ In loving memory of Version 8

I don’t use auto park very often, but I used it four times last weekend. Worked perfectly three of the times. When it failed I think it was because the space was a little too tight. I’ve never had it hit the curb or any cars. I think if auto park was hitting cars and curbs very often we would be hearing about it a lot more on this forum.

• Informative x 1