Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot a fraud? The linked author bets Elon he'll eat a hat if it changes lanes!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm serious as cancer. When you make a bet like that publicly you have to follow through. And if you're betting against Tesla and Elon well, you are likely going to loose.

"A Tsunami of hat eating is a'coming".

JimmyAZ said:
Anyone remember the guy in the motorhome that activated cruise control on a highway then proceeded to walk to the back where he sat down with his family? His motorhome drifted off the road and crashed. I hope that type of person isn't in the market for a Tesla.

Check it --> http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/cruise.asp

Check it --> Autopilot a fraud? The linked author bets Elon he'll eat a hat if it changes lanes! - Page 3

:tongue:

Last edited:
Personally, I believe auto lane change, auto steering and auto summon will never turn into fruition.
The highway codes of each country will forbid this for the next 10 years or so, especially auto summon.
Safety reasons obviously.
People who turned in their 2012, 13, or early 2014 Model S's just to get these features got "suckered" into buying a new Tesla.
This might not have been intentional by Tesla Motors, but it is now reality.

Personally, I believe auto lane change, auto steering and auto summon will never turn into fruition.
The highway codes of each country will forbid this for the next 10 years or so, especially auto summon.
Safety reasons obviously.
People who turned in their 2012, 13, or early 2014 Model S's just to get these features got "suckered" into buying a new Tesla.
This might not have been intentional by Tesla Motors, but it is now reality.

Speeding is also limited for safety reasons, yet manufacturers leave that to the discretion of owners. I see no reason the same wouldn't apply with auto-pilot features.

Tesla never claimed auto lane change. They claimed lane change under driver control. I guess if you want to call that "auto", you can. As for "auto summon" they were careful to specify that would be only for private property, where highway codes are null and void. I'm kind of skeptical of auto summon anyway, it seems like a low-value gimmick, but I don't think it's going to be prevented by highway code. Finally, as various people have pointed out in the past, auto steering, a.k.a. lane-keeping, has been on the market in some form for years. See for example Lane departure warning system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (page down to the "Allows unassisted driving under limited conditions" section).

I think this thread has seriously derailed from the core topic: hat eating. How do we, as a community, make absolutely sure that this guy in fact does eat his [a] hat as the lane-change-if-set-if-good-visibility-on-turn-signal-activation-when-car-in-assisted-driving-mode feature rolls out OTA in less than a year?
*finally* someone who sees the top priority here. I hope the guy has the sense of humor/honor to at least finish off a Nacho Sombrero.

I wonder if he's going to use any seasonings or eat the hat out straight?

Hat-Eating-350x350.jpg

The point the Toyota engineer was making is, it can't be done automatically because you have to manually check the mirrors to make sure the lane is clear because the car can't see other cars approaching behind you at high speed on the target lane. That's why the author of that article used the term "automatically" when he made the bet. I don't think he lost the bet.

Bertel Schmitt: If that Autopilot changes lanes automatically at the touch of a blinker stalk by, say, one year from now, in a series Model D, I will publicly eat a Tesla baseball hat on Twitter, Facebook and YouTube. Source

Theoretically, lets say you are driving at 60 mph and somebody behind you on the target lane is approaching at 90 mph. What would happen if you initiated an autopilot lane change? Very simple. You would get rear ended. The speed difference is 30 mph. That means the Model S wouldn't see the other car until 0.3 seconds before impact because the ultrasonic sensors have only 16 feet range and there is no rear radar. So what happened to changing lanes automatically by tapping the turn signal? It turns out, that's not the only thing you have to do. You also have to manually check the lane. Unfortunately Tesla's advertisement never mentions this and gives a different impression.

image.gif

Screenshot source: Tesla website Model S page. (The page has changed now)

image.gif

Screenshot source

When reading these statements many people thought the car can see behind. Some examples:

Tesla test driver: "It's gonna change the lane for me. It looks of course". Source: video at 1:12
CNET: "Highway lane changing is interesting. You can do it by just signalling." Source: video at 2:12
Autolog: "It's got lane change assist. Basically all you have to do to change lanes is just tap the indicator and the car will actually do itself when it's safe to do so." Source: video at 3:42

To be fair, yes the car can see behind but only up to 16 feet. Therefore the following statement on Tesla website yesterday causes even more confusion because it implies the car won't change lanes into oncoming traffic which is not correct. Maybe it is a good idea to tone down the overly ambitious advertisement about autopilot capabilities.

OAe8CDz.jpg

Screenshot source 15 Oct 2015

This topic is similar to P85D 691 horsepower issue. Why exaggerate the achievements? There is no need for this. They could have simply said the P85D has 550 hp or whatever the actual number is. They could have said "semi-automatic lane change" or something similar. Why omit important details? Something similar happened when infinite mileage warranty was the main tagline on Tesla home page. They forgot to mention the warranty doesn't apply to degradation. What people understood was, you could drive as much as you want without worrying about the battery, which is not the case. Somebody at Tesla marketing is overly optimistic on everything. When these details are not clear and you discover them after a while, it creates a surprise but not a good one. People don't forget these kind surprises.

Last edited: