Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot a fraud? The linked author bets Elon he'll eat a hat if it changes lanes!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't mind that Schmitt has negative views of Tesla. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. What bothers me is his inability to admit that he lost a silly bet.

Maybe we should nickname Bertel Schmitt "grapejuice" - because he welches.

Their claims are way less out there than the ones Apple makes, relative to the product/service they're actually serving.[/COLOR]

Really? Apple makes misleading claims like Tesla? Can you point to any?

- - - Updated - - -

This is what you understood: "engage the turn signal... when it's safe to do so"
This is what Tesla says: "Model S will move itself to the adjacent lane when it’s safe to do so"

Yup. You're quibbling about sentence structure. Thus, let's rewrite it so that we're both happy. "When it's safe to do so, engage the turn signal and Mode S will move itself into the adjacent lane." Does Tesla need a better copy writer? Perhaps. But let's not pull a hamstring stretching for untruth.

This isn't quibbling about sentence structure. Tesla clearly says the car will do it automatically and only when it's safe. That says to me that the driver DOESN'T have to check first. If it's a quibble, it's kind of a huge one.

Here you go Schmitt... now start eating!...

hat.jpg

Really? Apple makes misleading claims like Tesla? Can you point to any?

- - - Updated - - -

This isn't quibbling about sentence structure. Tesla clearly says the car will do it automatically and only when it's safe. That says to me that the driver DOESN'T have to check first. If it's a quibble, it's kind of a huge one.

Tesla's statement is 100% accurate. The car will not change lanes if it is not safe to do so. Activate auto-pilot and try switching lanes when it's not safe, such as when you are against the edge of the highway or a car is next to you. The car will ignore your request to switch lanes until it deems it safe to do so. When there is a safe amount of space and an actual lane to switch to the car will then change lanes.

This means the driver technically does not have to check first, but you're a complete moron and terrible driver if you don't. Tesla has stated repeatedly that the driver is still responsible when autopilot is enabled. That statement makes it crystal clear that the driver is responsible for initiating a safe lane change. The car is then responsible for executing it safely.

View attachment 99541

BertelSchmitt: Attention @elonmusk child soldiers: I will eat my hat when your leader eats his Tesla's Elon Musk Pledges to "Eat His Hat"
Did Elon even lose there though? By the time the first Model S rolled off the line, was the spend on Model S development over $700 million already? I'm not sure that is true.

Edit: dug up old thread where actually I was quoted, and where it is suggested Elon did not lose the bet:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/7294-Model-S-development-costs-so-far

Last edited:
Did Elon even lose there though? By the time the first Model S rolled off the line, was the spend on Model S development over $700 million already? I'm not sure that is true.

Edit: dug up old thread where actually I was quoted, and where it is suggested Elon did not lose the bet:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/7294-Model-S-development-costs-so-far
Yeah, I had mentioned that up thread. The thing is we don't really know. Not sure Tesla ever said, but when I added up what I could back then, if it wasn't above $700M it seemed fairly close, as far as I can recall.