Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got Tesla service coming on the 9th. My autopilot is a heap of sh1t at the moment. It absolutely is not acceptable - it’s dangerous.
Same. 3 years of AP working almost flawlessly across 2 vehicles, 2023.32 lands and its dangerous and barely useable on motorways.

Drove 300 miles on the M1 and it must have slammed on a dozen times because it thought the nearside cars were a hazard.

I've noticed another recent change, but a positive one this time. With navigation active its now slowing for most junctions/manoeuvres. Drops to about 18mph in urban driving. I had noticed it do that very occasionally, but its now slowing 90% of the time. It's a little too cautious IMO, but a step in the right direction. I coded the capability on my previous X5 and it's something I'd missed on the Tesla.

Mine has always done that on roads with bends where a pedestrian is somewhere vaguely in front of the car, but yes, it has become more sensitive recently. Similarly for parked cars on the side of the road on a bend, where the Tesla seems to think they are stopped in the road. I've had a few of those on straight roads recently, too.

I think some of these issues could well be due to the increased resolution of the cameras, where it's seeing more detail than it used to.

Ours too, but noticed a positive on our first drive on 2023.32.x (.6 in our case) which I am convinced is utilising much more of the new stack so this may all be placebo.

Driving up to a 45 degree right kink in a 50mph road with junction joining at 45 degrees on the left side, if a car was waiting to join almost certainly would FCW alert and highlight the waiting car. But yesterday, not only was there a waiting car, but a car was turning at the same time too. Not a sound but a lovely smooth visualisation of the turning car.

SWMBO who was driving immediately commented that that the car would have normally have alerted her. Due to our faff with stuck download, she knew that the car had had a software update that day, but was not aware of the potential significance re: significant stack changes.

Didn't last long though. FCW went off in another 'usual place'.

Must admit though that visualisation of other vehicles seemed much smother and possibly more of them, but that may just have been the slow motorway traffic and me concentrating a bit more. It certainly highlighted the visualised blind spot in front of the car ahead. Nothing different with TACC behaviour of note although it was not being used in the stop/start traffic below. I'll try autosteer when I next drive.

1696235791251.jpeg1696235921333.jpeg

Last edited:
Must admit though that visualisation of other vehicles seemed much smother and possibly more of them, but that may just have been the slow motorway traffic and me concentrating a bit more. It certainly highlighted the visualised blind spot in front of the car ahead. Nothing different with TACC behaviour of note although it was not being used in the stop/start traffic below. I'll try autosteer when I next drive.

View attachment 978901View attachment 978902
In your second picture, it looks like there is a HGV behind you. Vehicles behind were not shown before 32.x and for me this change was particularly apparent a few days when a large vehicle stopped behind at some traffic lights. Because of the angle of view & how close it got (not stupidly so) the visualisation of it actually obscured the view of my vehicle on the display.

Reactions: MrBadger
In your second picture, it looks like there is a HGV behind you. Vehicles behind were not shown before 32.x and for me this change was particularly apparent a few days when a large vehicle stopped behind at some traffic lights.

Yes. I'm noticing more richness in the visualisations too and objects in areas where purhaps they were not showing before. IMHO, potential evidence that we are benefiting from newer parts of the stack.

Reactions: ajmorr.is
“Benefiting”. You must be joking. It’s gone 10 steps back.
I've only had my M3 for a few months now but I would echo what you've said, and it's the inconsistency which is the biggest problem.

I moved from an ID.3 which didn't have the steering function but the implementation of adaptive cruise was much better IMO.

To comply with EU regs on latteral forces on passengers while under AP VW used what they called Predict Ahead to slow the car prior to the bend allowing you to keep in cruise. My Tesla seems happy to get halfway around a corner and then turn off at the worst time!

With Tesla while under AP the car won't slow down prior to entering a new speed limit, and either won't, or will very slowly, increase speed when coming into a higher limit area. VW had Thai working perfectly, apart from picking up side road limits which every system does.

All of this is very odd as it seems like a very easy thing to fix, I just don't think anything outside of the US is considered important.

I'm also convinced that the US isnt as Draconian about speed limits so it's not baked into the basic AP.

I still smile every time I bury the accelerator on a country road though and look forward to getting in and going for a drive which I've not felt since I had my first cars in my teens and twenties 😁

Reactions: Mr. Impatient
“Benefiting”. You must be joking. It’s gone 10 steps back.

The benefit is that if we are now using more of the modern 'single' stack, things can deliberately change (hopefully for the better, but who knows...) where as old legacy stack, any changes were just a side effect of changing some other behaviour.

Think of it this way, your 10 steps back are probably a deliberate attempt to piss you off rather than just an unintended consequence in a part of the system they don't care much for. ;)

I’ve turned that feature off as ours would prompt to override a stop for lights in tunnels or occasional lighting on motorways. But there have been an obvious , albeit mistaken reason for those - Hindhead Tunnel lighting on A3 almost guaranteed to detect flying traffic lights that would have triggered.

But your photo there is none of that. Absolutely nothing obvious lighting wise although cannot see any signage that might confuse it. I’m guessing it’s in the mapping - does it show a stop line if you aren’t using TACC? Worse still is if it’s new behaviour.

No signs. No cars. Nothing. Just open road.

Only shows line if at least tacc active.

It's the randomness of all this that really bugs me.

In the case of that photo, with nothing vaguely present that could be visually misinterpreted, the car came to a complete stop such was it's certainty!

Last edited:
That’s the reason why I turned that feature off - after a running with a phantom traffic light doing 70 on M3 during evening rush. Thankfully I spotted (not as obvious on single screen M3 - maybe highlands new ambient lighting could change colour in this scenario) it’s intent before it started to brake but I knew that at some point an out of context on screen prompt to override a stop would be missed.

Ironically this feature is the only differentiator between EAP and FSD.

I did a return journey down the M1 on Monday - about 30 miles from the M45 intersection to Milton Keynes. Southbound the AP was a disaster. Probably a dozen times it unnecessarily braked when passing vehicles to the left. Several times it was a full-on emergency brake accompanied by the klaxons of doom and the visualisation showing the vehicle on the left in red and moving into my lane (which it wasn’t).

Returning northbound, it only panicked once. It was a grey day with flat lighting so I don’t think it’s a shadow thing.

Whatever has changed in this last release, it’s by far the worst I’ve experienced in over four years of owning the car.

I noticed mine was worse yesterday, the first long run since the latest update. On the M4 in lane 2 in a 50mph section, passing a motorbike in lane 1 it braked from 52 down to about 45 mph and then carried on. Luckily no cars behind.

Car is a Fremont M3 LR late 2020 (facelift)

Reactions: Mr. Impatient
I spoke to Tesla UK today about this. They aren’t familiar with the problem and said that they needed reports via service requests even if they apparently get closed straight away.

Specifically they also want you to hit the dash cam button when it happens. I’m not sure if that means attach the video clip to the ticket or whether they can pull it up remotely, but they were very clear that they wanted video.

I spoke to Tesla UK today about this. They aren’t familiar with the problem and said that they needed reports via service requests even if they apparently get closed straight away.

Specifically they also want you to hit the dash cam button when it happens. I’m not sure if that means attach the video clip to the ticket or whether they can pull it up remotely, but they were very clear that they wanted video.
I logged a service request with times and dates then emailed the corresponding dashcam footage. They are apparently reviewing ….

Hoping it’s fixed soon cos I’m having to drive with my foot hovering over the accelerator, when on AP on a motorway

I recorded a dashcam clip this morning of my S on FSD AP driving over a traffic cone’s wide base while auto-steering through A-road construction, annoyingly just before I was able to take over steering myself. v2023.32.6 in app, but noticed 2023.20.7 in car Software UI confusingly.