Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something interesting happened today, I’ve just completed 100 mile drive in torrid, filthy weather conditions on a busy motorway. Because of the poor weather navigate on autopilot was unavailable so I just drove with autopilot engaged and experienced zero phantom breaking and no hesitancy with overtaking other vehicles. I wonder if this autopilot issue relates to navigate autopilot and not general autopilot driving. I have a few hundred miles of motorway driving upcoming this week and will carry out tests with this theory. Would be interesting to have other opinions too.

There is obviously some correlation between bad weather and navigate on autopilot. Maybe the cameras sensitivity increases with navigate in autopilot engaged 🤔

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I wonder if this autopilot issue relates to navigate autopilot and not general autopilot driving.
It's not. I don't have NoA & experience the same problems you are having.

I would like to clarify a point though; there are a lot of comments on this thread and others about this being a "phantom braking" issue. It's really not. It's a hesitancy problem with AP passing cars because it thinks they are a potential obstacle and letting off the speed. If your current speed is just a couple of MPH above the car you're trying to pass, it's barely noticeable and is less of a problem. But if you are travelling at 70 MPH & passing a car doing 50 MPH, the sudden unexpected slowdown could potentially be a danger drivers behind.

I had around an hour of motorway driving yesterday in torrential rain. Mostly AP was perfectly fine, even to the point I was quite impressed with its performance in terrible weather. But on a couple of occasions it just randomly chose to not pass cars in the slower lane. One particular case I was looking directly at an i3 in the next lane & wondering why the wheels were so narrow. It didn't look to me like it weaved towards me, but my car decided it didn't want to pass for some reason...

It's not. I don't have NoA & experience the same problems you are having.

I would like to clarify a point though; there are a lot of comments on this thread and others about this being a "phantom braking" issue. It's really not. It's a hesitancy problem with AP passing cars because it thinks they are a potential obstacle and letting off the speed. If your current speed is just a couple of MPH above the car you're trying to pass, it's barely noticeable and is less of a problem. But if you are travelling at 70 MPH & passing a car doing 50 MPH, the sudden unexpected slowdown could potentially be a danger drivers behind.

I had around an hour of motorway driving yesterday in torrential rain. Mostly AP was perfectly fine, even to the point I was quite impressed with its performance in terrible weather. But on a couple of occasions it just randomly chose to not pass cars in the slower lane. One particular case I was looking directly at an i3 in the next lane & wondering why the wheels were so narrow. It didn't look to me like it weaved towards me, but my car decided it didn't want to pass for some reason...
Agree with teh comments above, but would add the worst experiences I had were driving through Germany. It would often pickup markings or tar on the road as a corner (I think that is what it was doing) and slam on. So much so that i spent my entire journey covering the accelerator ready to accelerate instead of the brake as I usually would. This was standard adaptive cruise and not navigate on autopilot

Reactions: Mr. Impatient
Whatever is causing the issue it does seem that the way the car responds is different everyday, I've had a couple of really good autopilot drives - but both were early hours on the motorway and traffic very light and both were dry conditions.
I've had drives where auto pilot quits ever few hundred yards but was fine on the return journey, Journeys where the wipers are fine and then always on and had to manually switch off - so then autopilot not used at all.
AHB - dazzling others by holding main beam - then when dipped fails to return to main beam on dark empty stretches.

You know, my car is fabulous, drives and performs exceptionally well, I don't have creaks, squeaks or rattles, everything fits well together, stunningly shiny, no scratches, dinks, dents, my only gripe is with the automated features.

If my car had just standard autopilot I don't think i would have any real disappointment with it, TACC is OK if used just to maintain a speed and distance from the car in front and provides a leisurely drive.

In my head its the FSD, perhaps a feeling of being fleeced and being a dick for believing the rhetoric of what the car will do once the glitches are ironed out - and apart from that I still think its the best car I've ever had - though the Mk3 Focus RS still has a soft spot in my heart - strangely None of the Porsche's have left a lasting aura of satisfaction, but they were OK.
With no intention of moving this car on I'm not even the slightest bit bothered about the depreciation and I'm still adding stuff to the car - now waiting for my new fog lights for the front with the sequential indicators to be delivered.

Reactions: Dilly
Q: is the Auto Pilot here means the basic AP ?
Yes. AP = Auto Pilot; EAP = Enhanced Auto Pilot. AP is included with all models (it includes Traffic Aware Cruise Control TACC, Automatic Steering / Lane Centering). EAP is optional (paid) feature (it includes Navigate-on-Autopilot, Auto lane change, Summon, Smart Summon, Autopark). The EAP on the UK models without Ultrasonic Sensors (USS) that use Visions instead currently only allows Auto Lane change. Summon, smart summon and Autopark are currently not available on EAP (cars without USS) - these 3 functions have been also excluded from the current EAP functionality on the new Model 3 Highland version (stated as "upcoming").

Yes. AP = Auto Pilot; EAP = Enhanced Auto Pilot. AP is included with all models (it includes Traffic Aware Cruise Control TACC, Automatic Steering / Lane Centering). EAP is optional (paid) feature (it includes Navigate-on-Autopilot, Auto lane change, Summon, Smart Summon, Autopark). The EAP on the UK models without Ultrasonic Sensors (USS) that use Visions instead currently only allows Auto Lane change. Summon, smart summon and Autopark are currently not available on EAP (cars without USS) - these 3 functions have been also excluded from the current EAP functionality on the new Model 3 Highland version (stated as "upcoming").
Thanks for the detailed explanations which help me understanding better now,

I’ve noticed at this time of year that my B pillar camera glass is getting condensation on the inside (when they don’t usually). Could be a factor if seeing increased number of camera blinding warnings lately too. Have also experienced EAP being strangely hesitant during dual steady overtakes.

Reactions: Battpower
Having gone through all this on both cars, I've come to associate the current time of year with clocks going back, my children having runny noses, and the car moaning that it can't see anything. A combination of low sun, mist, rain and road grime makes the system even more erratic than it usually is, and when I come across YouTube and Twitter clips of U.S. owners recording the majesty of "autopilot" on arrow straight dry roads with uninterrupted views of the horizon and no traffic I do despair a little. It is never going to work.

Reactions: s_zigmond