Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoPilot speed restrictions...what do you think

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AP2 does not exist, but those that ordered it are out $2500
$2500 if they're smart, if not, they're out an awful lot more for "full self driving" which has no promised feature set, no release date, and no possibility of ever existing with that sensor suite. That said, you probably will need to pay that part to ever get the promised AP1 functionality.

According to Tesla, and every law on driving, you ARE driving when on AP. Just like you are driving when you are on cruise control. That's all AP is, a "better" cruise control.

Legally, this is true. But in practice, many people think AP allows them to unload some of their responsibility for operating the car -- look at all of the complaints about having to keep your hands on the wheel. AP is a public relations/legal nightmare caused by the horrible choice of "Auto Pilot" to name something that is really, as you say, "better" cruise control. In the court of public opinion, AP is not the same cruise control. YouTube has numerous examples of dangerous use of AP where people are essentially riding not driving. In the end, as applied to AP, if someone wants to break the law, they can do it but Tesla is not going to be a party to their lawlessness, as a matter of corporate policy and legal liability issues.

I did call them just now and was told that it is an added "safety" feature and there's nothing I can do about it. I told her that I don't consider it safe when I (or my car in that case) becomes an obstacle for other vehicles on the road. She promised me to forward my feedback, apologized and that was it. It really p$%^#@ me off.

If everyone is breaking the law by speeding, perhaps the correct approach would be to complain to the appropriate law makers to change the speed limit. In the last several years, my city did just that based on actual traffic data showing that traffic was routinely moving 10mph over the posted limit.

Reactions: JohnnyG
AP2 does not exist, but those that ordered it are out $2500

It's actually $5000 just for the dehanced autopilot! Full Someday Driving Capability is another $3000. Estimated to be fully tested and available between now and never.

Or they might just let you buy the car with all of this working and then slowly defeat the features using over the air updates. If they do use that strategy, expect a consolatory media player reach around.

Might be a good time to sit tight and see how this all sorts out. If you have other friends with Tesla's, advise them to avoid updates so the brand isn't destroyed by this moment of idiocy.

Reactions: Altes
It's actually $5000 just for the dehanced autopilot! Full Someday Driving Capability is another $3000. Estimated to be fully tested and available between now and never.

Or they might just let you buy the car with all of this working and then slowly defeat the features using over the air updates. If they do use that strategy, expect a consolatory media player reach around.

Might be a good time to sit tight and see how this all sorts out. If you have other friends with Tesla's, advise them to avoid updates so the brand isn't destroyed by this moment of idiocy.
All I know is I test drove and paid $2500 for autopilot (1.0) half way through the build they tell me I get AP2 hardware, now Im super excited but dont bite on the enhanced hoo haw blah blah blah AP. Come delivery time I get nothing.....nada zilch...in fact i get LESS than nothing I dont even have auto headlights or wipers or TACC or blind spot. GOSH i feel so lucky that the update a couple weeks ago gave me auto headlights, a feature that my 12 year old BMW has still no auto wipers (that my 12 yr old BMW has). Ohh and I have some crap version of blind spot warning that IF i keep my eyes on the dash and not on the road i can tell there might be something there so dont change lanes. #rippedoff

All I know is I test drove and paid $2500 for autopilot (1.0) half way through the build they tell me I get AP2 hardware, now Im super excited but dont bite on the enhanced hoo haw blah blah blah AP. Come delivery time I get nothing.....nada zilch...in fact i get LESS than nothing I dont even have auto headlights or wipers or TACC or blind spot. GOSH i feel so lucky that the update a couple weeks ago gave me auto headlights, a feature that my 12 year old BMW has still no auto wipers (that my 12 yr old BMW has). Ohh and I have some crap version of blind spot warning that IF i keep my eyes on the dash and not on the road i can tell there might be something there so dont change lanes. #rippedoff

You got AP 2.0 sensors/autopilot at an AP1 price. And you feel ripped off. You are in the lucky transition period that perhaps 5% of buyers luck into during these times. So maybe some perspective here.

I'm pretty sure you could sell at a better than typical price because you got a nice discount on the new sensors. Not break even but minimal loss. You might want to do it now because you will likely be disappointed at the speed of the rollout of features.

Reactions: robby and Altes
If everyone is breaking the law by speeding, perhaps the correct approach would be to complain to the appropriate law makers to change the speed limit. In the last several years, my city did just that based on actual traffic data showing that traffic was routinely moving 10mph over the posted limit.

In Washington State there is a new law that you can get a ticket for impeding the flow of traffic even if you are doing the speed limit if the flow is faster than the speed limit.

I don't know if it was the conditions or what, but I took in my car to replace the front seats and investigate a scraping sound coming from down around the radiator sometimes. I noticed in the Tesla app that they updated the firmware. On the way back I had AP on for a short bit on a divided highway and it was limited to the speed limit. There were some deep shadows which may have been the reason.

I have to take it back soon. As soon as I got home I heard both headlights whining loudly. It's so loud I can hear it in the house through two closed doors. I called service and they said it wasn't critical. For some reason the work they did appears to have damaged the balast on the headlights.

Anyway, I hope it wasn't the firmware upgrade that was limiting the speed to the speed limit. At that moment traffic was heavy enough that everyone was doing just at the speed limit, but it sped up to about 10 over not long after that. I had it off AP by the time traffic sped up. If I had known they were going to mess with the AP in this way I would have tested it further. I don't use AP all that much.

• Informative
Reactions: Jurnimon
In Washington State there is a new law that you can get a ticket for impeding the flow of traffic even if you are doing the speed limit if the flow is faster than the speed limit.

Off topic, but do you have a reference to this new law? I can't find it anywhere. I'd like to print it out to carry it with me on the car.

I found ones about driving below the speed limit in the left lane, but couldn't find the one you mention...

Everyone drives 10mph above the speed limit. Where I live, people drive quite aggressively. Even at 5mph over, I was somewhat a hazard with cars trying to get around me and getting dangerously close to me while cutting in and out. At the speed limit, basically it means using AP I am putting myself at a huge mortal risk.

This is a stupid STUPID move by Tesla. Basically makes AP completely useless on many roads. And no their database on "undivided roads" isn't all that great either. I get speed restricted on a road that is 3 lanes on either side with a divider in the middle.

Reactions: Alex D and u00mem9
And if an Uber or a Tesla (or whoever's) autonomous vehicle is involved in a (another) serious incident then we can expect the legislative environment to become even stricter.

Makes a lot of sense that Tesla are publicly demonstrating a preemptive and over-zealous observance of things like the speed limit.

Sure, other road users won't thank you for driving like a tard, but we all used to drive Audis and BMWs, right?

Same diff.

Of course these days, people don't just criticize you for the make or model of car you choose to drive. That's so nineties. They criticize you for the FIRMWARE version you drive, for crying out loud.

That's how sad it's getting.

Last edited:
And if an Uber or a Tesla (or whoever's) autonomous vehicle is involved in a (another) serious incident then we can expect the legislative environment to become even stricter.

Makes a lot of sense that Tesla are publicly demonstrating a preemptive and over-zealous observance of things like the speed limit.

Sure, other road users won't thank you for driving like a tard, but we all used to drive Audis and BMWs, right?

Same diff.

The danger with the system is that it often drives off the road, or loses the hunt over hills...crashing 5mph slower is meaningless

Reactions: Altes and scottf200