Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My EDD changed to September too!!! T_T

Model Y, long range, gray, black interiors and induction wheels purchased on May 18, 2021 and they have been toying with me with EDD... First was June 21 - 30 then July 1-10 then July 21 - 30 then July 7 - 27 then July 1 - 30 and now is SEPTEMBER!!! WT#!!!!!!!! I'm starting to maybe cancel and get something else... How can i be certain that by the end of August is not going to change to F$#% November..................
I'm back to July, now July 10 - 30... Still no Vin... I ordered mine on 05/18/2021

From what I'm seeing, skimming through the last 5 pages, I'm seeing the following:

People who have finalized their order between April and mid-May are getting an EDD of mid/late June.
People who finalized their orders in late-May are getting a July EDD.
People who finalized in early June (including me) are getting an August EDD.
People finalizing orders this week appear to getting a Sept EDD, but could possibly get an August EDD.

From what I'm seeing, skimming through the last 5 pages, I'm seeing the following:

People who have finalized their order between April and mid-May are getting an EDD of mid/late June.
People who finalized their orders in late-May are getting a July EDD.
People who finalized in early June (including me) are getting an August EDD.
People finalizing orders this week appear to getting a Sept EDD, but could possibly get an August EDD.
I finalized my order on 6/1. Current EDD is 6/18-6/30.

Who knows how Tesla is processing orders. Crazy that some April orders are still waiting for VINs.

Reactions: tab31
Based on comments in this thread (and others) it appears that Tesla in this quarter have changed it's logistics now that they can not build enough cars for the demand. Tesla will do what is best for Teals and that is to optimize for revenue/profit.
It looks like they are now just building as many cars as possible with the parts they have on hand and then trying to match it to a customer later instead of having a work order per car and building it for an order.
There is also the logistics of getting cars to their owners and Tesla may also just (or mostly) load up all the car transports available with cars and send them out to delivery centers before trying to assign a VIN.
I think what we are seeing is that VINs get assigned much later when cars is on a transport to a delivery center rather than at production and that orders are not fulfilled in order except at the individual delivery center as they get more or less random car configurations delivered.
This may explain the useless date estimates on the website when it is not reverting to defaulting to the default delivery timeline when it has not gotten any better data from the backend server most mornings.
This is just my take on the situation (and speculation), but your delivery time may be down to the lottery of what cars your delivery center gets based on the cars easiest to load on a car carrier in Fremont as the race is on for sending out as many cars as possible. With the current demand they will surely find someone that will take it, so it's all good for Tesla and maybe not so good for you if you have been waiting for a few months and the delivery lottery gods are not on your side. :(