Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Taking delivery in the next few hours. Got a lot of comfort from reading your replies so thought I would recap my timeline and add a few thoughts to add one more data point:

Config: MYP 5/White/White/No Tow/No FSD
Location: Delivery location SF, ordered out of Van Ness but delivered out of Corte Madera
Profile creation and other dates

Series of events in chronological order:
  1. Placed order
  2. Got a call to confirm and get a SA assigned
  3. Called to change the order config from Black to white interior
  4. Called to change the order config from LR to Perf
  5. Called to change the order config from Finance -> Lease (2yr)
  6. Blue button to confirm no radar
  7. VIN appeared immediately
  8. Confirmed Tesla insurance ($170/month)
  9. Payed dues 2 days before delivery
  10. Confirmed a few more things
  11. One day before delivery day - call confirming delivery
  12. Delivery day - waiting for car but was told I would get a call once driver was en route

Thoughts in no particular order:
  • After my order, lost radar and lumbar (hoping I have lumbar but 99.9% sure I won't). Thought many times about pulling my order but decided to stick it out. If you are looking for a fun, fast SUV, really no other alternatives to this. Although, I think it was really scummy on Tesla's end to not communicate the changes properly.
  • SA - Non existent. Communicated via email and phone and asked to make a change to my first order. They said they would but when I called a second time, they changed the wrong thing. (I asked for white interior from my previous black one but they left a note on my account saying I want white exterior. I already ordered a white exterior and verified multiple times on the call that I mean white interior. The lack of attention was baffling to me) But do not take the lack of comms as an acceptable answer. Reach out via their online chat and I have found they are way better than my SA.
  • Performance vs LR delivery times - I strongly believe I would still be waiting if I got the LR. I think they do prioritize perf. Not sure about how they decide though.
  • FSD vs Non-FSD delivery times - I don't think this plays a role even though they probably would be getting more $$ from your order.
  • Use distill.io chrome extension for monitoring your account. It will remove the mental load. Select the VIN text and the EDD text and every time it changes, it will ping you / email you etc. Caveat: you need to have your computer on.
  • Went with lease instead of finance for several reasons but the main one being the uncertainty of tech / other competition in the EV space. Currently the residual is high (72.9% after 2yrs) but I strongly feel it will no longer be the case in the coming years. By not financing I essentially gave up the potential of an EV credit write-off but after doing the calculations, without a credit, the difference is +3k USD. Which idm paying for peace of mind / conveniences.

Happy to answer any question :)

Keep me updated, that’s where I’m picking up (hopefully sometime soon though who knows)
Now I’m really irritated! We went in and talked to them. The guy looked up my account and said our build isn’t scheduled until the 26th. I don’t really get the way they schedule these things. I was pretty hot and my husband was apologizing for me! 😂. I’m not usually like that but this process has driven me over the edge. He also did say they will probably be delivering it to my house.