Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PC 8/2
EDD went from 12/9 - 12/31 to January 1-29 overnight. 😥
Seriously? It was my fourth time entering into my EDD. I expected it to move but just by a few days. While others are pushing for 2022, I actually want to take delivery now.
Current lease (already extended by a couple months due to Tesla VIN delays) ends in two weeks. Leaves me with a dilemma. I don't mind being patient but the confusion and back and forth is frustrating.

Reactions: Naija King
PC 8/2
Seriously? It was my fourth time entering into my EDD. I expected it to move but just by a few days. While others are pushing for 2022, I actually want to take delivery now.
Current lease (already extended by a couple months due to Tesla VIN delays) ends in two weeks. Leaves me with a dilemma. I don't mind being patient but the confusion and back and forth is frustrating.
I salute you sir because “frustrating” is the mature word to use for this situation.

Reactions: seeb
As long as my date moved around within the original window that Tesla told me (Dec) I was fine. When you buy something and it is delivered later than the company tells you that it will be at purchase, I think frustration is normal. It was their date to choose.
My original date was September/ October. I had a 5 day at the end of October, entered 10 day window twice in November, 10 day once in December, 22 day in December, and now am pushed to January.
It feels like the only purpose of a EDD is to keep you engaged and prevent you from purchasing something else. For a company that makes self driving cars, you would expect their EDD algorithm would be remotely accurate.

• Love
Reactions: Naija King and seeb
PC 8/2
Same with me this morning, I have pretty much the same OD too and I’m fuming. Also have lease issues too but mine ends mid January so I have less of a problem than you… sharing your frustration.

Quick question. In California, how long do you have before you have to pay the down payment for the car after receiving a vin? Just wanted to see if money should be ready to go for it or if I will have time to get a check from a family member for my current car. Thank you!

My MY Performance, ordered Nov. 4, has moved from EDD Dec. 13- Dec. 31 to EDD Dec. 26 - Dec. 31!
I'm thrilled, because I can't see taking delivery on the MY in 2021, and passing on the possibility of a $7500 tax rebate, especially as the new rebate will refund you the balance of the refund, above your tax liability, so that you get the full $7,500, even if your tax liability is below that amount!

Now I just need to hope they notify me between Dec. 29 (?) and Dec. 31!

If they notify me on Dec. 29th, I assume that means I have 72 hours from then, meaning I can pick up the Model Y any time on or before Jan. 1st (when, i assume they'll be closed, so I'd pick it up Jan. 2nd)

Anyone know if this is correct, or would they count Dec. 29, 30, 31, so I'd have to pick it up by Dec. 31. That doesn't seem to make sense... they can't count the day they notify you as day 1... I assume it is 72 hours FOLLOWING the notice, correct?

Too many other posts to quote, but I will echo everyone else's sentiment about frustrating EDDs.

This is probably the 5th or 6th time I entered by EDD and got pushed back the following day. This time it went from 12/9 to 12/31 -> 12/31 to 1/29/2022.

Shortly after getting my EDD pushed back again around Thanksgiving, I stopped caring because these EDDs are not under my control. I'm MUCH happier.

That's not saying Tesla should get a pass. A reliable EDD goes a long way towards customer satisfaction. For example, if they know California deliveries generally happen at the end of the quarter, don't dangle the carrot giving us Nov EDDs, then push the date back every 3 days we enter our EDD. @actionplus postponed Thanksgiving plans because of unreliable EDDs.

I also understand the logistical reasons for shipping cars to other parts of the US before California, but I feel losing some money on logistics so customers can get their cars in first in first out order would also go a long way towards customer satisfaction. I'm happy for people on the East Coast receiving their VINs who ordered weeks/months after me, but it's hard to stay humble and hope for the best when there's no sane order.

/rant

Anyway.... Did people who received their cars get a feedback survey? We can let out our frustrations on this forum, but would be nice if everyone echoing a similar sentiment filled out the survey and hope someone can convince Tesla to make the delivery experience better.

Back when I ordered my M3, I received a survey but I could only click between 1 to 5 stars or something. No way to write in feedback.

Too many other posts to quote, but I will echo everyone else's sentiment about frustrating EDDs.

This is probably the 5th or 6th time I entered by EDD and got pushed back the following day. This time it went from 12/9 to 12/31 -> 12/31 to 1/29/2022.

Shortly after getting my EDD pushed back again around Thanksgiving, I stopped caring because these EDDs are not under my control. I'm MUCH happier.

That's not saying Tesla should get a pass. A reliable EDD goes a long way towards customer satisfaction. For example, if they know California deliveries generally happen at the end of the quarter, don't dangle the carrot giving us Nov EDDs, then push the date back every 3 days we enter our EDD. @actionplus postponed Thanksgiving plans because of unreliable EDDs.

I also understand the logistical reasons for shipping cars to other parts of the US before California, but I feel losing some money on logistics so customers can get their cars in first in first out order would also go a long way towards customer satisfaction. I'm happy for people on the East Coast receiving their VINs who ordered weeks/months after me, but it's hard to stay humble and hope for the best when there's no sane order.

/rant

Anyway.... Did people who received their cars get a feedback survey? We can let out our frustrations on this forum, but would be nice if everyone echoing a similar sentiment filled out the survey and hope someone can convince Tesla to make the delivery experience better.

Back when I ordered my M3, I received a survey but I could only click between 1 to 5 stars or something. No way to write in feedback.
Totally feel you. The delivery methodology of Tesla is super frustrating. Not sure how people can get their cars quicker than others who ordered 2 months before them and expect customers to be okay with that.

My MY Performance, ordered Nov. 4, has moved from EDD Dec. 13- Dec. 31 to EDD Dec. 26 - Dec. 31!
I'm thrilled, because I can't see taking delivery on the MY in 2021, and passing on the possibility of a $7500 tax rebate, especially as the new rebate will refund you the balance of the refund, above your tax liability, so that you get the full $7,500, even if your tax liability is below that amount!

Now I just need to hope they notify me between Dec. 29 (?) and Dec. 31!

If they notify me on Dec. 29th, I assume that means I have 72 hours from then, meaning I can pick up the Model Y any time on or before Jan. 1st (when, i assume they'll be closed, so I'd pick it up Jan. 2nd)

Anyone know if this is correct, or would they count Dec. 29, 30, 31, so I'd have to pick it up by Dec. 31. That doesn't seem to make sense... they can't count the day they notify you as day 1... I assume it is 72 hours FOLLOWING the notice, correct?
The key is the paperwork needs to say that the transaction date occurred in 2022. So, if all the paperwork is signed and dated on Dec 31st, but you do not pick up the car till Jan 2nd ... you do not meet the technical transaction date requirements...

Regarding EDD frustration, I cope by remembering the following:

- Most people here receive their cars before their original EDD (from time of order)
- The sample size (TMC posts/spreadsheet) is extremely small compared to all orders
- There's a lot of selection bias because only certain types of people join TMC forums
- Confirmation bias is all over the place as people cherry-pick data to prove their theory (e.g. people still think they can spot "batches of <color> being made now!" just because people with that color are being assigned VINs...)
- Data fidelity is questionable — not everyone tells the truth on the internet
- Data is surely incomplete/out-of-date — many people fill out the spreadsheet but never update

Even though you might see the one person taking delivery before you with an earlier OD, given all of the above it's equally likely that they are an outlier, and orders from your month are flying out of the factory (but absent from the data). If you really want inner peace, just don't look! 😄😅😢😭

Quick question. In California, how long do you have before you have to pay the down payment for the car after receiving a vin? Just wanted to see if money should be ready to go for it or if I will have time to get a check from a family member for my current car. Thank you!
I had two days from VIN to delivery. So you'll want the money to be readily available.

Last edited:
Reactions: seeb
7/29 OD,
MYLR, Grey exterior, Black interior. 19 inch.

Original EDD was in the end of October. EDD changed a few times in the last couple of weeks.

12/1 - 12/15
12/9 - 12/31
As of last night: 1/1 - 1/29

Hoping things stay concrete for a bit. Would love to get my car
Guess I'll be seeing mine delayed as well. Your delivery time is the same as mine. I expect it to update and change just like yours. At least now I know what to expect from this company. Been tracking the EDD since Oct. Same thing each time when it reaches the EDD window. Seem to think it's waste of my $100, especially if I have fly down during Xmas and NY to take delivery and fly back out to continue the family vacation which we pushed thinking it would have delivered the before Thanksgiving date.

7/29 OD,
MYLR, Grey exterior, Black interior. 19 inch.

Original EDD was in the end of October. EDD changed a few times in the last couple of weeks.

12/1 - 12/15
12/9 - 12/31
As of last night: 1/1 - 1/29

Hoping things stay concrete for a bit. Would love to get my car
Same car with the exception of the wheels. OD 8/2, been holding at EDD window of 12/10 - 12/30 since late August. Window started today, I’m not exactly sure what to expect at this point. Would think they’re production scheduling is such that once in a window you’re pretty locked in. But that’s not what I’ve been seeing with others.

Same car with the exception of the wheels. OD 8/2, been holding at EDD window of 12/10 - 12/30 since late August. Window started today, I’m not exactly sure what to expect at this point. Would think they’re production scheduling is such that once in a window you’re pretty locked in. But that’s not what I’ve been seeing with others.
I’ve been in the EDD window 4 times already and it has been pushed back each time after being 2-3 days into the window. Hopefully it’s not the same case for you, but don’t hold your breath.

My EDD window starts tomorrow through 12-31. Wish this MY Girl luck!

Reactions: LodiEVFan