Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Destination Chargers in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh, definitely agree about mentioning competitors and choosing your target.
These are the (heavily paraphrased) communications I had at different times to the good folks at Silverwater Resort in San Remo (Phillip Island).

1st try (to the bookings/front desk)
Me:
Hello,
Just asking if you are planning to have Tesla charging at your resort.
My company is having its annual meeting there in January 2017 and I would like to drive there in my Tesla if possible.

Them:
Thank-you for your email.
Unfortunately we do not have that facility at the resort.

2nd try (to the managing director)
Me:
Hello,
I'll be visiting the resort in January for several days and was wondering if you have any plans for Tesla destination charging, like the Atura group has been rolling out.
Them:
Thank you for your enquiry. Yes, we are planning to install destination chargers at our properties.

There were two 22kW chargers there when I arrived in January :)
Also, we booked about 80% of the resort for 4 days, so...

Looks like the Stockland deal will be good news for travelling up the Queensland coast. Tesla should also get some data on how popular extending the supercharger network will be.

IMG_0326.jpg

Stockland powers up portfolio with Tesla destination charging stations

• Stockland shopping centres to have Tesla Destination Chargers rolled out from today over the next 12 months:
    • NSW: Balgowlah, Cammeray, Green Hills, Jesmond, Merrylands, Baulkham Hills, Wetherill Park, Shellharbour, Bathurst, Nowra, Corrimal, Forster, Tamworth, Glendale, Wallsend
    • QLD: Cairns, Townsville, North Shore, Rockhampton, Bundaberg, Gladstone, Hervey Bay, Caloundra, Cleveland, Pacific Pines, Benowa Gardens, Burleigh Heads
    • VIC: Highlands, The Pines, Trarlagon
    • WA: Baldivis
  • Existing Stockland Chargepoint EV chargers are located at: Balgowlah, Cammeray, Glendale, Jesmond, Shellharbour, and Baulkham Hills in NSW; Harrisdale and Balvidis in Western Australia; Point Cook Victoria and Burleigh Heads in Queensland.

Looks like the AGL offer is for people buying a new Tesla or waiting on an existing order, who switch to AGL power for their home.
Owners who have already taken delivery not included.

Yes sorry I should have given more info in my post

“To be eligible for Tesla to arrange for a year of free vehicle charging with AGL, should the customer choose to connect their electricity with AGL, the customer must purchase their Tesla vehicle prior to 31 July and take up the AGL Electric Car Plan before 31 August 2017. All existing orders (those who have not taken delivery of their vehicle yet) will also be eligible.”

So the AGL free charging from Tesla has all the same conditions as the $1/day deal, right? So effectively Tesla is paying the first $365 for you? Seems like the benefit is a bit exaggerated. Well, just good marketing I suppose.

Up until just recently there has been very small pockets of interest shown from any form of government and corporate bodies with regards to electric vehicles, the offer from AGL via Tesla is welcome marketing in a country that has a lot of catching up to do in the EV world.

Reactions: diesel
From the thread: Mobile charging for Australia
(ping @RichardMcN )

For example Tesla has ruled out supplying any destination chargers between Port Augusta and Darwin.

What? That is crazy. That route is obviously not going to get superchargers for some time. Did they give a reason as to why?

The only excuse I can think of is that they may not want to be responsible for people trying to drive that route and not making it/getting stuck in the desert. Perhaps a lot of the towns there are run on diesel generators. But they sound like flimsy reasons...

From the thread: Mobile charging for Australia
(ping @RichardMcN )

What? That is crazy. That route is obviously not going to get superchargers for some time. Did they give a reason as to why?

The only excuse I can think of is that they may not want to be responsible for people trying to drive that route and not making it/getting stuck in the desert. Perhaps a lot of the towns there are run on diesel generators. But they sound like flimsy reasons...
Strange as they are supplying cars into Darwin.

Reactions: Chuq
We did a bit of a road trip last week, Canberra to Brisbane. As well as the various Superchargers we used destination chargers in the Gold Coast and Coffs Harbour.

Gold Coast was excellent, Tim at Hi Ho had two chargers installed in such a way that their cables could reach several bays each, so if one was ICE'd it was easy to work around. Charging there meant we could skip Knockrow on the way North.

Novotel Coffs Harbour was supposed to be the same idea. Skipping 45 minutes parked at the top of the hill behind the big banana by destination charging overnight. Travelling with a six month old, that little extra bit of hassle avoided would be worth a fair bit to us.

Ended up being nearly as much hassle to destination charge. Despite the carpark being mainly empty, both Tesla spots were ICE'd by hotel staff. They weren't the closest spots to reception or anything, and the spots either side were empty, so it seemed to be a deliberate policy. I guess it means they know who to grab if a customer wants to charge and a car needs to be moved? Once we got a car moved, we hit another hurdle - the boxes the charger are in are padlocked. It took several people and about 20 minutes to find the right key. The guy who unlocked it for me at first mentioned that he knew they had several other Tesla owners coming in the previous weekend and he was surprised it hadn't been a problem for them. By the time he found the right people and the right key he learned that apparently it had been a problem and those guests had just been in able to charge as no-one had been able to find the key.

So I ended up getting my destination charge overnight and all was good, but it took about 30 minutes of running around, or close to what just driving up the hill with a book and supercharging would have taken.

The hotel chain sent me a request for feedback, so I gave them some details of the runaround. The GM of that hotel emailed back this morning and said they'd consider unlocking them in the future. He also told me I was only the second person to successfully use their charger since it was installed in May this year. I pointed out that probably wasn't a good thing, since his staff know of at least two customers who tried and failed in the last week =)

• Informative
Reactions: RichardMcN
We did a bit of a road trip last week, Canberra to Brisbane. As well as the various Superchargers we used destination chargers in the Gold Coast and Coffs Harbour.

Gold Coast was excellent, Tim at Hi Ho had two chargers installed in such a way that their cables could reach several bays each, so if one was ICE'd it was easy to work around. Charging there meant we could skip Knockrow on the way North.

Novotel Coffs Harbour was supposed to be the same idea. Skipping 45 minutes parked at the top of the hill behind the big banana by destination charging overnight. Travelling with a six month old, that little extra bit of hassle avoided would be worth a fair bit to us.

Ended up being nearly as much hassle to destination charge. Despite the carpark being mainly empty, both Tesla spots were ICE'd by hotel staff. They weren't the closest spots to reception or anything, and the spots either side were empty, so it seemed to be a deliberate policy. I guess it means they know who to grab if a customer wants to charge and a car needs to be moved? Once we got a car moved, we hit another hurdle - the boxes the charger are in are padlocked. It took several people and about 20 minutes to find the right key. The guy who unlocked it for me at first mentioned that he knew they had several other Tesla owners coming in the previous weekend and he was surprised it hadn't been a problem for them. By the time he found the right people and the right key he learned that apparently it had been a problem and those guests had just been in able to charge as no-one had been able to find the key.

So I ended up getting my destination charge overnight and all was good, but it took about 30 minutes of running around, or close to what just driving up the hill with a book and supercharging would have taken.

The hotel chain sent me a request for feedback, so I gave them some details of the runaround. The GM of that hotel emailed back this morning and said they'd consider unlocking them in the future. He also told me I was only the second person to successfully use their charger since it was installed in May this year. I pointed out that probably wasn't a good thing, since his staff know of at least two customers who tried and failed in the last week =)

Why would they need to be locked? I suppose they have the lobby toilets locked to save on unauthorised water and hand soap wastage.

Same thing at Newcastle Wests club/hotel.
The receptionist has to leave the desk, go to the box, unlock it then do the same in the morning.
I remember wondering how much it would cost to get a stainless steel box fabricated and installed, plus the staff time.
How many hours of unauthorised charging would need to be prevented to defray those costs?
They just don't understand the business model.

Why would they need to be locked?

I have no idea. No-one who worked there seemed to know why they were locked, but when I unplugged in the morning, someone came by 15 minutes later and locked it again. Seemed to be just a knee-jerk reaction.

It's pointless. The resort isn't walking distance to anything else. There's a supercharger literally a kilometre away. Any Tesla owner who wasn't staying at the hotel overnight would have no reason whatsoever to charge at the hotel rather than at the supercharger up the road. And yet, without knowing quite why they're doing it, they lock it up.

The Gateway Inn in Mayfield, Newcastle also lock their HPWC's. Overnight guests charge free, otherwise they charge $5 for a casual visit. As above, the Heatherbrae Supercharger is 10 minutes away, yet they choose to lock them up. Having said that, there have been no issues in locating keys.