Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Destination Chargers in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Burnside Village in Adelaide is a large shopping centre which has 2 EV parking spaces with 2 Tesla 30amp Chargers and one EV charger. One park is large enough for a Tesla and small EV to squeeze in together but not infrequently has an EV parked right in the middle.
image.jpeg
The second park is very tight for a tesla as it is right next to a large post but is available more often. Entry to the underground carpark is off Cator or Sydney streets and the parks are immediately below Coles supermarket and at the base of a travellator which takes you up to the mall. Parking is free.
image.jpeg

Hi EcoCloudIT
Just reporting back after my Dandenong- Portland Dandenong trip.

The Henty motel is 3.5 Star rating. Had no problems - clean room juuusst made it before the chef went off at 9:00 and got a very generous Beef Wellington , delicious.!

Rooms aren't expensive and you get a bit of the old country style of people care.......
I had an interesting issue with my range calculator in the car which decided about 160km out of Portland that I wouldn't make it so I had to drastically reduce speed.!
I dutifully rang Tesla service and was put through to the US and they diagnosed as I was driving. They determined it was a firmware upgrade(glitch) that had been loaded the day before I left which created a maths paradox between the battery management module and the screen module. When the maths didn't match it panicked as erred on the safe side and put up the alarms.
Cant say I was a very happy traveler as all my trip planning including EVTRIPPLANNER said I was right on target at that point. Nonetheless I backed off and arrived 30mins later safe and sound. The irritating part was when I stopped, checked in, and drive around the back to plug in I suddenly had 20% a tank full miraculously! I redid the energy calc and rechecked EV Trip Planner accounting for the 160kms at mostly lower speed and the numbers matched again.. Grrrr.

End of the story is I dropped the Beast off and Tesla reloaded the new updates and were in love again....:biggrin:

Hi EcoCloudIT
Just reporting back after my Dandenong- Portland Dandenong trip.

The Henty motel is 3.5 Star rating. Had no problems - clean room juuusst made it before the chef went off at 9:00 and got a very generous Beef Wellington , delicious.!

Rooms aren't expensive and you get a bit of the old country style of people care.......

For those interested, I did a dashcam of the approach to the Richmond-Henty in Portland and final location of the Destination Chargers.
Destination Chargers in Portland - YouTube

Lots of new chargers going on line recently, at this rate maybe we will be able to drive from Cairns to Adelaibe on destination chargers by the time the 3 comes out. A doubling of the superchargers would be good though as well though.

If anyone from Tesla is watching several in NSW are listed as NT, not a big problem as I guess the map and cars are using gps location. e.g Batemans Bay, Mollymook and Katoomba.

image.jpeg

Reactions: Chuq
Another destination charger visited today, this time Local Agent, a real estate agency in Caloundra on the Sunshine Coast QLD. There are two 3 phase 32A - 22 kW chargers there in the back lane behind the shopfront. While I was charging, Stuart, the principal came out for a chat. He said they’d only been installed in the last few weeks but there had already been a few cars charging up, no doubt many more to come since it’s already visible on the charger list on the screen in the car.

There's plenty of destination chargers going in around the country but I'd like to give a mention to the Mondo Nougat company for really getting into the spirit of electric car charging.
Mondo has installed 2x 3 phase HPWCs drawing power from 45kwh of solar panels, parking is convenient and secure, and if you like a drop of Wine it's located very close to many of the Swan Valley Vineyards North-east of Perth.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I checked out the Castle Towers destination chargers at Castle Hill today (out of interest rather than need).

Pretty nice set up, maybe 50m from the lifts at one end of the mall near Myer so convenient, but no so close that are asking to be ice'd everyday.

Three HPWCs and marked bays.

I have sent a note to Tesla to see about updating the title to include which colour car park as it just says B1 row 7 and there are at least two car parks there which have a row 7 on level B1.

If anyone else is looking for them they are in the red car park to compliment the Tesla charging signs!

I had a charging companion, a fairly early (by rego plate CXB series) P85, but didn't bump in to the owners - anyone know the car?

Attachments

• IMG_3872.JPG
    IMG_3872.JPG
    345.7 KB · Views: 38
IMG_1420.JPG
IMG_1434.JPG
I was inspired by a recent media article to try the new Tesla destination charger at Goolwa around 90km south of Adelaide.
Electric Highway: RDA Adelaide Hills, Fleurieu and Kangaroo Island
A few interesting observations. There are 2 EV parking spots. 2 J1772 chargers and 1 Tesla charger. One spot was occupied by the council vehicle plugged into one of the j1772 chargers. This was at 4:50pm on a Saturday so I assume they had left it there for the weekend. The Tesla wall charger was a different design to my home charger. The plug was plugged into the side of the charger and couldn't be released. The adjacent information Centre were not familiar with the charger and how to use it. I called the 1300 number and got through to a man in WA who was also not familiar with the charger. Luckily I am traveling with UMC and have access to 10A 240v for overnight charging. I would hate to think how you would go if you were depending on getting a recharge.

View attachment 209448 The Tesla wall charger was a different design to my home charger. The plug was plugged into the side of the charger and couldn't be released.

This is the "new" style 3-phase capable wall connector. I have one at home. To "release" the plug you simply lift it up (same as on a supercharger)

I guess it's a bit awkward with the silly metal box in the way - which is entirely unnecessary since the wall connectors are IP55 rated...