Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

?Drop off of rate of charge at Supercharger St Leonards

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If every stall has the CCS then that would mean every stall is a Model 3 priority stall.
Just saying based on what is happening in Europe there may be a setting in the modified Superchargers to give the CCS2 cable priority.
upload_2019-7-15_21-15-55.jpeg

It's also interesting that they chose this time to patch the method that allowed owners to get root on their cars. So we saw 3 major changes for the older cars:

- Reduced supercharger speeds
- Reduced range on some cars (have you checked your range dborn?)
- Removed the ability to get root (which would allow you to roll back to an earlier firmware)

Tesla really want these changes to stick....

It just makes it clear that these batteries aren't going to last the life of these cars. Tesla really need to figure out how they are going to do replacement/upgrades. You'd hope with the 2170s and the much better current battery pack designs.

I'm going to stick on 2019.16.1.1 as long as I can. I'm also no longer going to charge above 80% unless I absolutely have to. The packs are clearly much more fragile than we were led to believe.
Have just charged to 90% on a regular PowerPoint and mobile cable. My range is unchanged from 7/3/19 when typical was 344 and rated was 430. On 26/5 Typical was 325 (no record of rated kept for this date). Today 342 and 428. Within the limits variability i expect. So, it is just the charge rate that has been affected for me.

Have just charged to 90% on a regular PowerPoint and mobile cable. My range is unchanged from 7/3/19 when typical was 344 and rated was 430. On 26/5 Typical was 325 (no record of rated kept for this date). Today 342 and 428. Within the limits variability i expect. So, it is just the charge rate that has been affected for me.
I haven't supercharged since the last update but note that my 90% charge is consistently at 344-345 typical on my S85 which is the same vintage as yours.

Have you tried to supercharge at another location - ie one that isn't 5km from your home?

We conducted another supercharger session yesterday at Eaton:
Same stall as previous charge sessions
No other vehicles charging as per previous charge sessions
Same steady 100km plus drive to site
Similar outside temps
No CCS2 cables attached
Car with less than 30 lifetime supercharger sessions.
Charging from 20% to 70% took 36 minutes the same as previous post software update session, pre-software update session took 29 minutes 20% to 70%.
Footnote: the charge rate was lower at 20% but tapered off less at a higher percentage.

To be charitable, if Tesla has found that previous higher charging rates were causing too much battery degradation, I'd rather have this reduction in charging rates than shorten the battery life.
I remain suspicious that this is a cost cutting exercise. Slow speeds is a disincentive to use the superchargers. My range has not been reduced contrary to the experience on the USA thread on this site.

I remain suspicious that this is a cost cutting exercise. Slow speeds is a disincentive to use the superchargers. My range has not been reduced contrary to the experience on the USA thread on this site.

I highly doubt this is some vast right wing conspiracy to make you avoid chargers. If Tesla really wanted to slow people while charging, they could do so via the software of the chargers themselves.

I’m speculating, and that’s all we can do, that this recent reduction in Supercharging speeds is a safety measure as well as a way of getting these older batteries to the end of their 8 year warranty without issues.
As to the Supercharging for life, I’ve always thought that was unsustainable and that Tesla would be forced to wind it back. NRMA have made the same error with the rollout of their fast charging network and will eventually be forced to backdown and charge even their members as the numbers of EV owners rise and the cost become significant.
However one thing I won’t do is apologies for taking longer at a Supercharger when Tesla have limited my car. This may become an issue at times of congestion at Superchargers during holidays.