Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very sad news... he probably calculated it would be better for Tesla to resign from the Board and remain CEO.
I agree with the decision although it is a bitter pill... now the spotlight can return to the 3Q production and earnings.

Tesla chief executive Elon Musk agreed on Saturday to pay a $20 million fine and step down as board chairman as part of a settlement with the Securities & Commission that he misled investors about his plans to take the company private. Tesla will separately pay another $20 million and agreed to add two new independent directors to its board. Under the settlement, Musk will resign as chairman of the automaker within 45 days and be barred from that position for three years.
Im what some might call a fan boy, I think of this as great news. We get all of Elons magic soon to be complimented by someone who excels at chairman skills. Elon is a visionary not a chairman. Not an insult—visionary is harder. Years from now this will be seen as the medicine that made Tesla the crazy awesome company that it will be in another few years.

He’s come off as unstable the last 6 months. You can’t play around with tweets and statements that can affect stock prices. Only Trump apparently can get away with anything he says.

Yeah. The only way to get away with tweeting mountains of crazy, nonsensical bull crap that keeps driving the markets into a tizzy, is to be the president.

The US has laws and regulations about the behavior of corporate officers and the SEC is tasked with policing them. Elon broke the rules and got thumped.

Many of the rules of behavior for POTUS are just tradition and aren't actually defined in any regulation anywhere. But there are times the American public can weigh in directly, which is more difficult with a corporation. An individual can sue a corporation if the corporation has harmed them, and with difficulty a class action lawsuit can be brought if a bunch of people have been hurt, but you need to prove standing (ie you were harmed personally) to continue with a lawsuit.

Elon should have been more careful with his Twitter account. Everyone should, especially public figures. He's getting thumped for it.

It's fortunate that he's not being forced out entirely. Hopeful the new chairman will be someone who Elon can work with, but will also stand up to him.

Reactions: neroden and u00mem9
For years I have advocated and spoken in a loud and deliberate voice, to advance sustainable transportation and renewable energy. The attacks and vitriol I have experienced in response to my singular voice have stunned me — they continue to surprise me. How small my voice, how minuscule my efforts.

Elon has stood as a giant in history, stood against the inertia of world economies.. He has commanded the world stage with his presence, speaking with first principled reason, he has advocated the benefits of mankind, the health of our planet. I cannot begin to understand all that has brought to bear against Elon, to grasp what he has endured.

Has Elon stumbled, has he made mistakes? Possibly. These are small matters. Elon Musk is changing the world. Our great grandchildren will study his deeds in school. We get to regale our grandchildren with tales of living history.

I support Elon Musk and Tesla’s “Master Plan”. This fight is only beginning.

Trump is not the head of a publicly traded company. ;)

....not any more... god save whatever poor souls he’s leading today :(

CC0EC8C5-C67C-4C14-B29D-5A1ADBC61A73.jpeg

All the short sellers must be having a good time this weekend. Not only has Tesla's stock price tanked, but they are getting a cut of the $40,000,000 fine too.

And to think they could have settled for half that. Presumably this will affect Musk's remuneration going forward too.

All the short sellers must be having a good time this weekend. Not only has Tesla's stock price tanked, but they are getting a cut of the $40,000,000 fine too.

And to think they could have settled for half that. Presumably this will affect Musk's remuneration going forward too.

1. We don't know what the original terms were , or their potential collateral damage (SpaceX, Boring, compensation plan (requires being CEO or Chairman_ChiefProductOfficer)
2. Tesla's fine was for not having vetting on Elon's communications. Not directly his fault, not seeing why his comp plan would be impacted.

Also read that to get in on the $40 million would require actually losses (not just paper). Longs who chose/ were forced out of their positions may benefit also. Depends on how the terms are set up (date range and such).

Yes. It makes me think of the quote, "success is a terrible teacher." Hopefully this incident, although painful short term, will be a lesson learned for the long term both for Musk and Tesla.

I can admire the man and company, their contributions to society, and overall brilliance, but I can still hold them accountable when they say and do stupid things. Everyone has to understand that there are consequences to your actions and statements no matter how rich, successful, or brilliant you are (unless you are POTUS apparently).
Best of your 80 posts. People around here are still arguing what the dictionary definition of 'secured' is. Musk screwed up. He broke rules that have been around for 80 years. Accept your punishment, accept that having some independent people involved is a good thing, and don't be an a-hole about it going forward or they will get you again. Just build cars, make some parts and don't put QC on the consumer.

Reactions: mos6507
Status
Not open for further replies.