Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess he's getting really serious about it now. He showcased another scent on Letterman a few years ago.

3489917120_f4f4625dc8_m.jpg

Article about Elon in The Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...ionaire-and-real-life-Iron-Man-Elon-Musk.html

Yea, that is what can really be called "to be all in"...

Thanks for the link to this article. I've now got two favorite quotes from Elon; the one referring to Bezo attempt at space travel in which Elon said he was 'more likely to see unicorns dancing in the flame duct", and now, in reference to his heros growing up "trying to save the world, with their underpants on the outside".

Last edited:
Really great stuff. Not too many things we haven't heard before. I like the Jerry Brown story concerning the Hyperloop. I really love Elon's optimism. I certainly don't have the fear of underpopulation that he seems to have. The planets population has exploded in the last century and there is a small slowdown in industrialized nations but that still isn't stopping the rest of the world. Health care balances out the fact there are less children being born. People forget that there was a 50% mortality rate in children back in 1800 which is still true in remote non-industrialized areas. Now that children aren't dying off then you can focus on the one or two you might have. Over 7 billion people is just an astounding amount of people. That amount uses up a whole lot of resources and creates a huge amount of waste and pollution. I'm not worried that a little less would somehow become a trend.

World population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We tripled the world's population from 2.5 billion in 1950 to 7 billion in a mere 60 years. And that was with birth control, massive wars, genocide, and some pretty tough diseases.

Yeah. Not something I'm worried about.

Past results are not indicative of future performance.

With the exception of some Muslim and African countries, fertility rates are dropping all over the world. In most cases below replacement levels. You continue to have population growth through the inertia of longer lifespans but when baby boomers in the industrialized world and people born in the 60's and 70's in the industrializing world start dying you will have a population implosion not seen since plagues ravaged continents. UN estimates in the 80's and 90's of a world population exceeding over 600B are clearly not going to happen. World population will crest between 9-10.5 B and then begin declining.

Even with tripling the world's population since WW II we have farm subsidies all over the world to prop food prices so farmers don't go bankrupt and entire regions stop farming. Japan, where the body politic has an almost unanimous consensus against wholesale immigration, is already seeing population declines. Based on the assumption that the Japanese will not go extinct any time soon it will be interesting to see how they handle things. Countries like Japan with a fertility rate of 1.39 can't get to a stable population even with the best healthcare in the world. You need 2.1 or thereabouts to account for children not reaching child bearing age. Even if you want a declining population you still want a fertility rate of ~ 1.85 or higher so you have enough workers supporting older persons unable to work and contribute to society.

Last edited:
Fascinating. And somewhat scary, despite Elon's optimism. Does this mean that we're actually in the middle of the golden age of human technological advancement? IF populations start declining that hard, you would think the talent pool will also shrink.

I disagree with Elon on the population thing. "People are going to have to revive the idea of having children as a kind of social duty. If you can, and are so inclined, you should. Otherwise civilization will just die."

Right now the world has too many people, not too few. And the planet is suffering from it.

I do agree individual countries and economies have issues with who is going to pay for the aging population. But I doubt that there will be a day when no one wants to have any children at all. And asking folks who don't want to have children to have them is not a great idea.

Agreed, I also see it as if we're headed towards overpopulation(if that isn't the case already...). It is tough to find out exactly how many people can the earth support but with some estimates at 4-6B, I'm not scared of decreasing population, and here's why: you see, Elon has mentioned in an Interview at the opening of the London store in regards to the Hyperloop that nowadays we generally lack ambition. In 1950 there was about 2.5B people and for the next two decades('50-'60, '60-'70)we were quite possibly more ambitious and pushing to improve our scientific knowledge than ever(SR-71 and Apollo come to mind). To be less than we are now shouldn't be an issue as long as there is a strong enough will to move forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.