Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.2 poll to say when you got it

On which model have you received the 6.2 firmware update?

• Classic Model S

Votes: 98 37.7%
  • Auto-pilot model S

Votes: 57 21.9%
  • Dual-drive (non perf)

Votes: 21 8.1%
  • P85D

Votes: 84 32.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got notified yesterday, 4/1/15, that the software was ready to install via the app. But the car is in St. Louis at the Service Center, so I was unable to install it. Speaking with the Service Center, I think they'll go ahead and install it after completing their work.

I installed my update to 6.2 on Monday. I updated the logmysc page, but accidentally put in 3/28 for the date instead of 3/30. Can that be changed? It might be useful to allow someone with fat fingers like me to replace an existing entry. Maybe just add the same firmware release again and it replaces an existing one. I was going to try doing that, but didn't want to see multiple entries and have people think I was trying to stuff the ballot box.

I fixed it. I just threw that interface together, so things like "editing" are not there yet. They will be someday, but I wanted to get it up as soon as possible to capture as much info as possible.

Anyone else that has "editing" issues (or any suggestions for the app or reports), just let me know. Thanks.

Got notified yesterday, 4/1/15, that the software was ready to install via the app. But the car is in St. Louis at the Service Center, so I was unable to install it. Speaking with the Service Center, I think they'll go ahead and install it after completing their work.

Service almost always pushes an update to my car while it's in the shop. Sometimes I get notified multiple times that a software update is available. They always install it.

no. I got it yesterday (Tuesday) morning - in fact, got it Monday night but didn't install until Tuesday morning.

this is for a P85D delivered on Thursday last week.

i had a hunch on Sunday how to game the system to likely get to the head of the queue for 6.2 upgrade.
my theory was that they would be prioritising updates to people that are doing long trips that require supercharging to complete a trip.

no idea if the theory was correct, but for plotting in navigation SF to NY on Monday morning, sure enough Monday evening and the upgrade was pushed out to my car.
who knows if it was because of it being a P85D, a new P85D, in good wifi/3G range, because i plotted a trip, because i'm close to the Tesla factory or just plain luck but i know what i think it is and that if I was Tesla i'd focus on upgrade order that matched where most of the benefit of the updated version are.

Are you being serious here? You really think Tesla is somehow monitoring all Nav routes generated by all MS owners looking for people that *might* be taking long trips in the near future? What about people just playing with the new nav features? Did you also park with all your valve stems pointing "up", or the nose of the car pointing towards Fremont? :)

The only demonstrable factor so far is that all Autopilot cars (which you obviously have) are getting updated before non-autopilot cars. See: Tesla Firmware Upgrade Reports

Updates by Build/Autopilot
BuildCountAuto
Pilot
Non-Auto
Pilot

Service almost always pushes an update to my car while it's in the shop. Sometimes I get notified multiple times that a software update is available. They always install it.

Me too, but they told me that since this was so new they may not push it...maybe that was inaccurate. Had to know. I did get at least 2 notifications, so that supports the "pushed by service" theory.

Are you being serious here?

yes.

You really think Tesla is somehow monitoring all Nav routes generated by all MS owners

yes.
not in a "there is a human looking at every route planned" but rather its simply ingested into a big data / hbase space and there's likely a process that also generates the lottery of order-of-firmware-push.

The only demonstrable factor so far is that all Autopilot cars (which you obviously have) are getting updated before non-autopilot cars. See: Tesla Firmware Upgrade Reports

certainly that is likely a factor in the mix too however there would be what 5000+ vehicles with autopilot at this point, even within those there would be some 'order'.

I think Tesla Motors has better things to do than prioritize the order of firmware updates to users playing with the Nav with absolutely zero assurance that those users will provide any feedback. That's a total waste of their time to prioritize based on Nav routes like that. There might be an order within the autopilot cars, but I seriously doubt it's based on "people who put in long trips into their nav, even if they're just playing around."

An easy test would be for any other AP car owner to do the same, and see if they're updated as quickly. Of course, if they are, that doesn't prove the theory (since AP cars are being updated hourly). We'd need people to do the same Nav routing, and NOT be updated the same day. Still, that doesn't prove much, so I stick to my assertion that Nav routing has no factor on firmware update priority. None.

I think Tesla Motors has better things to do than prioritize the order of firmware updates to users playing with the Nav with absolutely zero assurance that those users will provide any feedback. That's a total waste of their time to prioritize based on Nav routes like that. There might be an order within the autopilot cars, but I seriously doubt it's based on "people who put in long trips into their nav, even if they're just playing around."

An easy test would be for any other AP car owner to do the same, and see if they're updated as quickly. Of course, if they are, that doesn't prove the theory (since AP cars are being updated hourly). We'd need people to do the same Nav routing, and NOT be updated the same day. Still, that doesn't prove much, so I stick to my assertion that Nav routing has no factor on firmware update priority. None.

Hank, don't take the bait! Leave crazy theories alone! Lunacy might be contagious!

My wife just asked why our Model S doesn't have 6.2 when a friend's does (who got their car about a month ago). I referred her to this thread and her response was "You Teslites are all xxxxx nuts."

Teslites.

I still don't have 6.2. sigh.
The word police will soon censor your post... just a heads up...
And yes, the people who spend too much time here clearly have .... issues :)
But I think it's quite fascinating what we are able to learn from the data... you have a classic very early car... so far we have only two of those in the tool who received 6.2, one of which was in a service center.
We haven't seen a strong push to non auto-pilot cars, yet. So it may be a little longer until you get 6.2

The apparent skewing toward P85D might also be because P85D owners are recent recipients of shiny new Teslas and we are still active and enthusiastic forum participants. I.e. Earlier model owners may not spend as much time filling in spreadsheets and responding to polls.
Just a thought. :smile:

The apparent skewing toward P85D might also be because P85D owners are recent recipients of shiny new Teslas and we are still active and enthusiastic forum participants. I.e. Earlier model owners may not spend as much time filling in spreadsheets and responding to polls.
Just a thought. :smile:

Aka selection bias. Could be.

Very generous, Andyw2100... MikeBur talked to me and I told him that it was his poll, his call. I have no problem continuing to nag people about using the firmware tracker. But I definitely agree with Mike that it would be great to link to the FIrmware Tracker in the poll itself...

Lol - at 4:48pm yesterday my request that we agreed between Dirk, Hank and I got resolved by a moderator - I couldn't edit the original post any more and AnOutsider kindly added the update I requested with the app direct link. Between us we can't figure out how to modify the poll any way, so it closes when it closes (ho hum)

I really, really doubt it. 40% of the new release features pertain only to Auto Pilot cars, and Tesla is distributing first to Auto Pilot cars. Not P's. Auto Pilot. Makes sense. Pre AP cars just have to wait.
Brings back memories of my previous life...LIFO. Last in, first out. Seems to me that us early adopters are owed. We are the ones that assisted TM in determining what improvements were needed. As has been said many times, us Classic owners were the Beta-testers. Seems like we should get some priority in DL's, or at least parity.