Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screen Shot 2016-04-13 at 6.17.36 PM.png

Alright, I just went through all 24 pages of this thread. Maybe I missed it, but I don't see a single screenshot of a 6.2 or prior dash display. I'd like to see it as a comparison point, as I have no idea what it looks like.
At one time there were. I'll admit I didn't look this time.

Not a big deal though. I just Googled it and found a few examples. Funny thing is though, they don't all look alike, so maybe there were various other tweaks over different versions.

So for 6.2 and prior, as to what seems consistent, it looks like you have...
1) A row across the bottom that has, in order from left to right, lock indicator, odometer (total mileage), temperature, date, and time.
2) The middle of the speedometer shows, from top to bottom, speed (digital), battery bar, range remaining.
3) The bit of space at the bottom of the speedometer shows PRND indicator.

On some screenshots the numbers on the speedometer dial appear brighter, and on others darker. Maybe it's a day/night mode difference?

it's not day/night mode. The reduced the contrast, so the dial appears much dimmer. It's worse in bright daylight.

Old (not my car):

Tesla Dash 12-2-15.JPG

So the trip meter app used to have A and B trips, but now it just has "this trip" instead, with idiocracy icons. Definitely looked better and was more functional before. I would definitely support bringing the old one back.

As for the number brightness, I have no issue with the current version. That said, it would be just fine brighter too, so I'm not sure why they would have changed it. I support bringing the brighter numbers back, even though the way it is now works okay for me.

I'm fine with the other stuff being moved around. I'm fine with it showing a picture of the car in the center of the speedometer too. However, my car is grey, and I could see it being too bright for white or other very light color cars. They should review all the colors and adjust them accordingly, or just use one generic color for all cars would be fine too.

So the trip meter app used to have A and B trips, but now it just has "this trip" instead, with idiocracy icons. Definitely looked better and was more functional before. I would definitely support bringing the old one back.
I complained before that there wasn't an automatic trip. Trip B is always reserved for "lifetime" for me, so that's off-limits. That means that all I had was "since last charge" and a manually resettable Trip A. Now I have Trip B in my 17" controls, which is where I want it. Trip A, pretty much the same as I use that only for long trips. And each time I drive, I get a chance to have consumption and elapsed time automatically calculated. I don't see how that's a drawback.

Reactions: tomas
Anyone else feel left out with all these updates/Easter eggs? No Mario Kart rainbow road, no 007 access code because of coil suspension.
Oh wells. Keep saving until budget allows for a newer one :)
For me there's always that "Aww, that would be neat" and wishing I could try, and then a few moments later comes the realization that I'd try it exactly once and then never use or think about it again. That seems to help.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
For me there's always that "Aww, that would be neat" and wishing I could try, and then a few moments later comes the realization that I'd try it exactly once and then never use or think about it again. That seems to help.

Exactly my experience with the 007 submarine Easter egg. Frankly, I couldn't activate it again if I had to, as I have forgotten how to do it.

I complained before that there wasn't an automatic trip. Trip B is always reserved for "lifetime" for me, so that's off-limits. That means that all I had was "since last charge" and a manually resettable Trip A. Now I have Trip B in my 17" controls, which is where I want it. Trip A, pretty much the same as I use that only for long trips. And each time I drive, I get a chance to have consumption and elapsed time automatically calculated. I don't see how that's a drawback.
I do the same with my Trip B meter: lifetime mileage. I'm content with the dash side display of "mileage since last charge" and "mileage since last stop". I just wish the consumption displayed was in RM not kWh.

After looking at the old dash pictures upthread I'm actually pleased with my updated dash. I don't care about the speedometer numbers because I look at the big digital speed — same as on my previous car — and pay no attention to the dial one. I do use the kW used/regened dial but have no trouble reading it. I've never had difficulty with reading the display in varying lighting conditions (seems to adjust automatically, but I pay no attention).

Things I wish Tesla would add are tenths of miles on the odometer and, perhaps, trip meters. Nav uses tenths of a mile in directions and I often used tenths to measure turns in my previous cars. I find not having tenths on the dash, and having to guess my distance to a turn, a nuisance. Overall, not that big of a deal though.

So, I appreciate the pictures of the old dash; makes me appreciate my newer one, which is a complete surprise.

Reactions: hiroshiy
I do like the auto reset of the trip computer. Very helpful.

I still very much dislike the toy car occupying center stage on the IC. I can never tell if my brake lights are on just by glancing at it. I have to stare which is obviously not safe.

I also continue to dislike how the AC controls were replaced with a single word - "Custom"

I do the same with my Trip B meter: lifetime mileage.

Y'know, I used to do that on my Trip B meter as well, until I took my car in for its annual service a couple months ago and the tech proactively cleared all the trip meters to supposedly fix performance problems on my MCU. :mad::mad::mad:

I complained about this, but that won't bring those bits back. Moral of the story: If you value what's stored in your trip meters, take a screenshot at intervals or before going in for servicing.

Bruce.

Y'know, I used to do that on my Trip B meter as well, until I took my car in for its annual service a couple months ago and the tech proactively cleared all the trip meters to supposedly fix performance problems on my MCU.
Ouch. For whatever reason, that would burn me up, and more than it ought to. I'll remind my SC that they shouldn't touch my trip odometers without asking..

It was earlier than that.... They phased out the chrome as parts ran out. I have a May 2013 build -- it has the chrome sills inside the frunk, but the black plastic ones in the rear.

The parts are available after the fact now. You can get chrome sills front or back for $200 on each end of the vehicle. I got them included with the vehicle, but have a relatively early build (P04093). One would think they would come with premium package, but no dice.

Tesla — Chrome Trim Inserts