Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1 - Autopilot HW2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do you believe that AP responds to training? I've seen only vague aspirational references to such a capability.

Correct me if I'm wrong; I would love to be.

I will narrow that question a bit. Within this software release, 8.1, does Tesla update data/map files periodically to improve performance? If they do, these maps are likely based on data accumulated through driving.

Currently Tesla may currently just be trying to "keep it head above water" and implement all basic ADAS functions.

Seems like the all the learning that AP1 cars have contributed to the system is being relearned by AP2 cars without overlap. Possibly two independent systems now, hence the delay?

The important AP1 "learning" is likely humans being employed by Tesla figuring out how to do this stuff.

I will narrow that question a bit. Within this software release, 8.1, does Tesla update data/map files periodically to improve performance? If they do, these maps are likely based on data accumulated through driving.

Currently Tesla may currently just be trying to "keep it head above water" and implement all basic ADAS functions.

The important AP1 "learning" is likely humans being employed by Tesla figuring out how to do this stuff.
^yes^

after driving this same route every weekday since the first of the year.

My point, all kidding aside, was that while there may be some learning going on at the fleet level, later incorporated into software releases, there's no reason to believe that individual cars "know" about roads they've driven on before, or respond to our corrections by changing future behavior.

Certainly the repeated experience trains the driver to know when the car is going to fail, and therefore be on alert to take over.

It would be interesting to take another car with Lane Keeping Assistance over the same route if you can find a suitably equipped friend to help. My 2015 Acura MDX and 2014 Audi A6 are both better at this stuff than my HW2 Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: NerdUno
If it were just AP2 failures, patience would probably be a virtue even as we approach the six month mark. But, as the first video demonstrates, the Tesla was abruptly swerving into another lane of traffic while a vehicle was positioned directly beside the Tesla vehicle. So, not only is AP2 not functioning, but collision detection/avoidance and all those sonar sensors are worse than worthless.

• Informative
Reactions: disagree
It would be interesting to take another car with Lane Keeping Assistance over the same route if you can find a suitably equipped friend to help. My 2015 Acura MDX and 2014 Audi A6 are both better at this stuff than my HW2 Tesla.

Honestly I don't know if it's better or just less assertive (to put it kindly). I had a 2014 A6 before my HW1 Tesla, and I found that it kept its mouth shut (e.g. asserted no steering influence) unless the lane markers were extremely good. The car spent most of its time with the lane lines grayed out, and IIRC the lane assist was not available below 37mph or so, and at higher speeds, it is easier for the cameras to find lane lines compared to lower speeds.

One thing that I noticed on my back to back drive between AP1 and AP2: AP2 really wanted to offer Autosteer compared to AP1. On a bunch of highway onramps/offramps, AP1 simply showed a blank gray screen. AP2 showed a bunch of crazy dancing lane lines -- maybe 75% of them looked plausible but the rest would've sent me into a guard rail.

I don't think Tesla's tuned the AP2 lane detection thresholds properly yet. MobileEye seems to wait until it's quite sure the lane lines are stable before even showing them on the screen.

Reactions: Tomnook
Since someone brought up the autosteer speed staying high when going onto an onramp: I noticed an even more interesting quirk. I had AS set at 75 going up an off ramp and it changed speed down to 70 with the normal warning message about not being willing to go more than 5mph over the speed limit(the speed limit still showed as 65 at that point).

So it seems to detect that it's no longer on freeway and asserts THAT rule, but doesn't enforce the 35mph max speed.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
........snip.......
I've been telling people my new granddaughter may never have the thrill of getting her driver's license, because in ~16 years human-driven cars may be a hobbyist thing, allowed only on local streets ........snip......
½ century ago, folks were told we 'may' all be flying around on Jet packs pretty soon. Thing is - 'may' is sort of a truncated way of saying maybe not, too. So, how many decades have jets & airplanes been flying around on autopilot? Yet they still have a licensed human pilot ... & many have a spare pilot riding along - just in case. Not meaning to rain on anyone's driving utopia, but after a few hair-raising experiences on 8.0 & 8.1 - a $5 bet re driver's licenses? Very likely a safe bet.
:p

Last edited:
½ century ago, folks were told we 'may' all be flying around on Jet packs pretty soon. Thing is - 'may' is sort of a truncated way of saying maybe not, too. So, how many decades have jets & airplanes been flying around on autopilot? Yet they still have a licensed human pilot ... & many have a spare pilot riding along - just in case. Not meaning to rain on anyone's driving utopia, but after a few hair-raising experiences on 8.0 & 8.1 - a $5 bet re driver's licenses? Very likely a safe bet.
:p

It's always hard to tell what direction things will go in. There's the flying car on one side and horse/buggy on the other.

The restrictions do seem a bit strange - I can use AP in my local town where there are single lane streets, crossings, cycle lanes, etc... basically the last place you would want to use autosteer unless ......snip........
ain't it the truth. Yester-evening was when 8.1 AP2 would have put our windshield thru the back-end of a flatbed tow truck if we had not been alert. 40mph curvy side road, soft shoulder - 2 lanes e/side & the tow truck was pulled over for a customer. MrX swerved for the flatbed like a dog in heat. Whew !! Exciting .... but she-who-must-be-obeyed was not amused

Is there reason to believe that the camera/radar system coordinates with maps? The inability for AS to handle simple curves after numerous pass-throughs suggests not. Seems more like it just uses GPS to let it know if it should enable 80mph limit or 35mph limit.

Reactions: NerdUno
There are a few stretches of road I've been testing with AP2 since the first release. 8.1 is the first release to handle these correctly and do so multiple times. With the level of duress some of the drivers are experiencing over lane centering, etc. I'm wondering if camera placement or something is actually making some cars worse than others.

The ramp I take here is the one from I-294 south to I-90 east. It's the sweeping one in the middle from the upper left corner to the bottom right. It doesn't look like much, but there's a big elevation change at the end and it's an S curve. It takes this ramp at 50 MPH fine, and that's about how fast I drive on it. Never has it crossed a line after 8.1.
IMG_5068.PNG

This is the off ramp from I-294 north to US14 west. It's super tight. 20 MPH ramp. I enter w cruise set at 35, and it automatically dials the speed down to 27 and makes it perfectly. Never crosses a line and most human drivers do.

IMG_5067.PNG

These are just a couple, but I use AS all the time. On the highway it is almost flawless. It even managed to navigate a poorly marked construction zone today. I wouldn't take a nap in the back yet, but I certainly don't feel threatened by its behavior either.

My cameras must be cross eyed. Mine ping pongs on all curves on the highway but is otherwise ok. It doesn't actually cross the lines but it can be nauseating to swing back and forth. I take 94 to 90 to the loop and back. If I hold the wheel it's less violent in it's back and forth.

I don't understand, why would it not try to get off the highway in that scenerio?. The left lane kind of splits with a very fine angle, and how would the car know which lane to take?

I don't have left turn signal on, I think this indicate I don't want to get off the highway . even the exit is straighter than stay on highway. the car should be able to figure out which way is to keep in high way.

I don't understand, why would it not try to get off the highway in that scenerio?. The left lane kind of splits with a very fine angle, and how would the car know which lane to take?

I guess we want the car to understand that the thing on the left is an "exit" and the thing on the right is the same freeway, just like how it knows not to take exits off to the right even if the offramp isn't sharply angled from the freeway?

But either way, quite honestly I don't think AP1 would've handled it better. Sure this has to be solved before we have any hope of an onramp-to-offramp experience, but for now anything that looks like a legitimate lane line is going to require human supervision. I just wish the CID would display intent rather than forcing the user to realize at the last moment that he needs to intervene.

Reactions: OBX John
My 2cents and a question. AP 2 MS with 17.11.3. Lots of up and down Willamette Valley Oregon on I5 and around Portland on 205. Lots of 75mph. Lots of stop and go. It has been really smooth. There are some hills and curves in Salem although nothing extreme. Left turn lane change very good. Right turn lane change made me say "yee haw" out load. A bit rough : ). So next right lane change was manual and that was almost an accident. Sheesh. It did want to visit the rest stop on its own at 75 once, but all other exits ignored.

Question: if AP steers over the line, do we get the lane departure virtual rumble strip? Basically does it give itself a dope slap? I like the subtlety of the lane departure feature. Others do not. Ok.

Highest priority request: really want state hiway at better than 35mph. My commute is 20 miles of straight well marked limited access undivided hiway 99. Not looking for head on collision so this has to, you know, work.

That sounds a lot more like a feature request than a bug.

The feature exists, it just doesn't work as advertised:

Upgrading Autopilot: Seeing the World in Radar
  • When at a highway exit, it will favor marked lane lines in the direction of vehicle indicator (8.0)* or in the direction suggested by the navigation system if active (8.1). This feature will be available initially in the US and later in all countries where lane markings are open for highway exits

Note that by 8.1, they mean that new in-6-weeks release, not the 8.0+AP2 Autosteer improvements release they call 8.1 right now.

• Informative
Reactions: disagree and croman