Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware Update 2018.12

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was on 2018.10 for what felt like forever. Kept waiting for the update to 2018.10.4 which was a wide rollout, but it never showed up. That's why I'm thinking Tesla was correct in saying there was something wrong with the connection. Whether that's wi-fi strength or something else... my VIN had been selected for the update per Tesla but it just hadn't gone through after repeated attempts.

I was on 2018.6.1 before this last update. When you get an update is basically a lottery. When your VIN comes up, you get the update. If a new update comes out before your VIN comes up, you don't get the update. The service center can push a certain update to your car which enables you to jump the line (or they put it on at the service center), but most of the time it's just random luck. I haven't gotten some major updates, but for this last one, I was among the first.

I have AP2 and I'm on the 2018.12 5eadc71 firmware. I don't see any changes on the map. Is it only reflecting on AP1 cars for now?

I have AP1 and still see the old maps. Enabling the new maps appears to be a separate thing. I don't know what the mechanism is, and I think the only people who do know are Tesla.

Reactions: Blup85
How does the ariel view look? Any different than it did with the google maps?
Yes, and the load super slow, I hope for now.
I must admit that I am confused. The other thread on new navigation said there were only changes to the instrument cluster. But post from “tester” suggests the main screen Nav was also updated ? Can someone clarify ?

They look differently from Google Maps but they are not enabled by default

Reactions: MelaniainLA
I must admit that I am confused. The other thread on new navigation said there were only changes to the instrument cluster. But post from “tester” suggests the main screen Nav was also updated ? Can someone clarify ?

I can't speak for others but mine only shows a notable improvement to the Instrument Cluster, nothing of note has changed on the Main Maps screen. I think people assume that Tesla implemented Vector maps for the Touch Screen instead of Bitmaps which they used prior. I have not seen evidence to say that is the case, seems to load like bitmap still with no difference.

I can't speak for others but mine only shows a notable improvement to the Instrument Cluster, nothing of note has changed on the Main Maps screen. I think people assume that Tesla implemented Vector maps for the Touch Screen instead of Bitmaps which they used prior. I have not seen evidence to say that is the case, seems to load like bitmap still with no difference.
Isn't there an option in the map settings to change it? I recall seeing a video that showed a check box under settings > apps

Updated to 2018.12 last night. Noticed the equalizer now goes up to max of 8 on each slider. I may be crazy but I though they went to 12 before the update. The 3 sliders I had set to above 12 before all maxed out at 8 now when I checked, since the audio sounded funny after the update. Could someone else with 2018.12 please check and confirm? I have standard audio system.

Reactions: Gt1948
Updated to 2018.12 last night. Noticed the equalizer now goes up to max of 8 on each slider. I may be crazy but I though they went to 12 before the update. The 3 sliders I had set to above 12 before all maxed out at 8 now when I checked, since the audio sounded funny after the update. Could someone else with 2018.12 please check and confirm? I have standard audio system.
This change happened in .10.4.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
Comparison between current maps and new vector maps , the same view and the same zoom. First image is current maps, second one the new one

Attachments

• IMG_1637.JPG
    IMG_1637.JPG
    564.9 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_1638.JPG
    IMG_1638.JPG
    476.2 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_1639.jpg
    IMG_1639.jpg
    418.4 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_1640.JPG
    IMG_1640.JPG
    255.7 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_1643.jpg
    IMG_1643.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_1642.jpg
    IMG_1642.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 129
I don’t know if we should be so excited to want to get this first. I see this as a positive move in the long term but Tesla is moving off an established vendor and rolling their own. We’ve seen this play out not so nicely with Mobileye, and Apple struggled when they parted ways with Google Maps.

Let’s let Tesla push this when they think it is ready, or we may not get what we think we are bargaining for...

Last edited:
Comparison between current maps and new vector maps , the same view and the same zoom. First image is current maps, second one the new one

Thanks for these, if thats "Vector Maps" then yes the new update has it. However, its not consistent with the view of the Instrument cluster which has much more detail than it did before. For instance on the Instrument cluster I have a detailed map of a parking lot that on the center screen looks to be just the outlying roads. The comparison in detail is just what you show in your screenshots, but its not consistent between the IC and Touch Screen.

There’s no option to change to vector after the updates.
I’m not seeing them either. MCU looks the same to me after new map update. IC is updated.
Ditto no option to change and it does look the same to me so far, only change is the level of detail in the Instrument Cluster which may be where the vector maps are implemented.

I am currently in a loaner Tesla with MCU2 and running the vector maps. Coming from an MC1 car, I immediately noticed the difference in the Instrument Cluster. However, I also noticed greater detail in the main touch screen if you zoom in enough. I was able to see the layout of parking lots in the main touch screen area (which I don’t recall seeing before).

Overall, using the new vector maps in the IC to navigate has been a clearer and more effective experience in comparison to the old version.

Updated to 18.12 yesterday on wifi, after the update I see the car has downloaded another 5.8GB of data which I suspect is the vector maps, though it has not popped up yet with the release notes for maps beta...

Edit: just checked again and now its up to 8 GB data since the update... and counting

I can see its connected to an Amazon server with "maps" in the URL

Last edited:

Oh man, I noticed that too. I thought the service center changed my settings all to 8. I was about to get angry, but noticed that all of them had a maximum of 8.

• Love
Reactions: MelaniainLA