Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FIRMWARE UPDATE! AP2 Local road driving...and holy crap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was able to try out autosteer in the latest update today for a few miles during a traffic slowdown on the interstate in Tampa. When I initially tried to engage it, the car tried to move to the left lane (I was in the center lane). The restart was successful, and I was able to use autosteer for a few miles in the center lane with average speeds from 15mph until it turned off at 55mph. It was much more stable than my last efforts. The lines on the dash display were not dancing nearly as much as before, and the car seemed much more stable in the lane - less wandering left and right in search of lane lines.

YMMV

17.9.3 does seem improved. I haven't gone through all my "testing routes" yet, but the ones I did try seemed better. In my experience the toughest time it has is in bright sunlight, especially when that casts shadows onto the road. Being winter here, the deciduous trees have no leaves. When driving through a woods they cast a whole bunch of skinny shadows across the road in the morning and evening. I've had some full-on failures (red hand - take control immediately!) happen in these situations. Of course I always have my hands on the wheel anyhow.

17.9.3 does seem improved. I haven't gone through all my "testing routes" yet, but the ones I did try seemed better. In my experience the toughest time it has is in bright sunlight, especially when that casts shadows onto the road. Being winter here, the deciduous trees have no leaves. When driving through a woods they cast a whole bunch of skinny shadows across the road in the morning and evening. I've had some full-on failures (red hand - take control immediately!) happen in these situations. Of course I always have my hands on the wheel anyhow.

I agree, overall 17.9.3 is an improvement. Hard to say how much, but it is getting better.

• Informative
Reactions: Turing
auto steer on local roads seems to have a real problem at intersections where the lane lines are interrupted. Mine wants to veer suddenly to one side or the other. I usually have to take control.

Yeah, it isn't designed to do that. All Autosteer does is read the lane lines and keep the car centered between them. There is nothing more advanced going on there. If there aren't any lane lines, the car will will act unpredictably. You should not use Autosteer in that situation.

Yeah, it isn't designed to do that. All Autosteer does is read the lane lines and keep the car centered between them. There is nothing more advanced going on there. If there aren't any lane lines, the car will will act unpredictably. You should not use Autosteer in that situation.
What kind of "should" is that?

The first post in this thread details the release notes. Nothing in them entails any of your claims. In fact, at least as of 17.9.3 autosteer is clearly now also using cars to track lanes in absence of lane lines themselves. It's done this for me to get through intersections. Even more, autosteer can work with a single lane determination, e.g. in the case of no middle line but with a solid curb on the other side.

So, I mean, yeah, I concede the point that you personally wouldn't use autosteer in an intersection and you advise others to do the same.

But that's not because of anything Tesla tells us. And it's not because all autosteer does is read lane lines.

Can we coin the term: Elonians? Like Straussians, they see subtext and get meaning from extra-textual clues and hints. Nothing actually said can be used to prove that an Elonian interpretation is wrong, for that very wrongness reveals the rightness of what the Elonian is saying.

• Disagree
Reactions: NerdUno and Helmuth
What kind of "should" is that?

The first post in this thread details the release notes. Nothing in them entails any of your claims. In fact, at least as of 17.9.3 autosteer is clearly now also using cars to track lanes in absence of lane lines themselves. It's done this for me to get through intersections. Even more, autosteer can work with a single lane determination, e.g. in the case of no middle line but with a solid curb on the other side.

So, I mean, yeah, I concede the point that you personally wouldn't use autosteer in an intersection and you advise others to do the same.

But that's not because of anything Tesla tells us. And it's not because all autosteer does is read lane lines.

Can we coin the term: Elonians? Like Straussians, they see subtext and get meaning from extra-textual clues and hints. Nothing actually said can be used to prove that an Elonian interpretation is wrong, for that very wrongness reveals the rightness of what the Elonian is saying.

The manual provides that Autosteer "detects lane markings and the presence of vehicles and objects, steering Model S based on the lane markings and the vehicle directly in front of you". So obviously if one of the things it needs to work disappears (i.e. the lane markings) the car is going to do unpredictable things.

The manual also provides that "Autosteer is intended for use only on highways and limited-access roads" and says "Do not use Autosteer on city streets . . ."

The manual provides that Autosteer "detects lane markings and the presence of vehicles and objects, steering Model S based on the lane markings and the vehicle directly in front of you". So obviously if one of the things it needs to work disappears (i.e. the lane markings) the car is going to do unpredictable things.

The manual also provides that "Autosteer is intended for use only on highways and limited-access roads" and says "Do not use Autosteer on city streets . . ."

Tired of hearing excuses. If the car cant read the lines then it should alert to the issue and stay on course and not veer off to the side of the road. If they cant get a car to stay on course how in the hell are they going to give us FSD that they sold many of us.

C'mon, stop selecting the facts to fit your innacurate opinion
upload_2017-3-1_10-13-30-png.216873

I refrained for replying to your initial post comprised of "alternative facts", but since you insist:
Yeah, it isn't designed to do that
Please explain what Autosteer was "designed" for. Would it be reasonable to expect you post your sources on "autosteer design"?

All Autosteer does is read the lane lines and keep the car centered between them
You're stating your assumption and opinion as a fact, if you have more info, please share

There is nothing more advanced going on there
Again, your opinion only

If there aren't any lane lines, the car will will act unpredictably
Again, your baseless factless opinion only

You should not use Autosteer in that situation.
The most recent release notes from Tesla does not say that, please share your sources on which you base this opinion on.

All of the above could easily be avoided by simply including "In my opinion" instead of pushing alternative facts.

Quoting the owner's manual is useless. There are so many inaccurate and out of date things for HW2. Its clearly written for HW1 vehicles and is more than a year out of date. Its an owner's manual for a different car. Tesla should be ashamed putting the HW2 cars out there without a proper owner's manual. The manual refers to features and things that we don't have (AEB, auto wipers, auto dimming brights, etc. etc.).

EAP is designed and marketed for using on all roads in all conditions.