Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Folks living in cold/Northern States, what Model S do you own?

Cold Weather Dwellers what do you own? Is it a 60D, 75D, 90D or P100D?

• 60D

• 75D

• 90D

• P100D

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's my dilemma RE MS 60D. Want to order TODAY before the $2K bump, but doing worst case scenarios on EVTripPlanner is pushing me to a 90D. Hard to justify almost $20K additional.

While the 60D will cover > 95% of our needs, when my better half joins me in retirement I want to do more traveling around the country. Finally convinced her a Tesla was a Good Thing; Not sure she agrees with the traveling idea (yet).

Planning a trip to New Orleans down I81 in March/April, while doable in a 60D (hopefully) there are SC gaps that would dictate a much slower MPH than I've ever driven. 11 SC stops, worse case, at 1 Hr each is a deal breaker for her. Thinking a 1 hour drive to the airport is in my future :(

Weather is getting colder, and the last few days we have very strong winds. Today:

Windy with mostly cloudy skies. High 43F. Winds WNW at 20 to 30 mph. Winds could occasionally gust over 40 mph.
  • WIND WNW 22 mph gusts to 32 mph

Well, yesterday was my first 60D range problem. I left home with 100% as I often do when going to the lake house. It was somewhat cold 38 degrees but windy as heck. I felt this great drag coefficient car getting blown back and forth. Wonder how the truckers felt :)
Within the first hour I was getting warnings to stay under 60 MPH, and that's not happening :) I did have options of course and stopped at the Kingston NY SC er on the way. First time I have needed to do this for my 147 mile trip. So, I started checking efficiency and for every 10 miles I was using 11-12 miles of range. Sometimes 14! In the end I probably would have made the trip with 3% remaining but with time why chance it? It was so windy that it's hard to use this trip as a test case for future trips. I have a few years to perfect my data :)
Wow! I was twondering how that wind (in the northeast) yesterday and today was affecting range? Thanks for sharing!

Cold air is much denser than warm air, so in addition to cabin heating using the battery, more energy is required just to move the vehicle, especially in comparison to warm summer air. With ICE vehicles, the engine operates more efficiently at colder temperatures but with electric vehicles there's no gain to be made from the cold -- only losses all around. It's not too bad with a Tesla, but over at the Leaf forum there are posts about people dressing like they're going skiing, using portable propane heaters, etc. just to commute to work and back. The Leaf was definitely not made for cold climates.

Man! Sounds like the Leaf was certainly a major leap of faith. When it came out I was like "hey thats kinda cool" but quickly realized that with its severly limited range it cannot be a practical everyday vehicle.

I have a 70D, but if I had to buy again I would probably get a 60D. You just have to be okay with knowing your potential range takes a decent hit in cold. Most of the time this is irrelevant for daily driving.

In terms of long distance, it generally doesn't make much difference as there as theoretically very few SCs you can hit in a 90 you can't in a 60. Depending on your area SC situation, it may be inconvenient to take your Tesla. For instance, I'm driving from Ann Arbor to Danbury in a few days. You MIGHT be able to make it on I-80 in PA from (Pittsburgh) to Tannersville in a 90D, but no chance in a 60D/75D. I could go through Canada, but that adds like 5 hours of travel time if you count the actual charging. I'm begrudgingly using an ICE instead.

That being said, it's so rare that this situation will come up, that I didn't think it was worth trying to find the extra $12K to get a 90D

Yeah I was in the same boat. I just could not justify the 90D expense for some extra range for that one or two odd road trips I'd take in a year.

Reactions: STbreaker
That's my dilemma RE MS 60D. Want to order TODAY before the $2K bump, but doing worst case scenarios on EVTripPlanner is pushing me to a 90D. Hard to justify almost $20K additional.

While the 60D will cover > 95% of our needs, when my better half joins me in retirement I want to do more traveling around the country. Finally convinced her a Tesla was a Good Thing; Not sure she agrees with the traveling idea (yet).

Planning a trip to New Orleans down I81 in March/April, while doable in a 60D (hopefully) there are SC gaps that would dictate a much slower MPH than I've ever driven. 11 SC stops, worse case, at 1 Hr each is a deal breaker for her. Thinking a 1 hour drive to the airport is in my future :(

Weather is getting colder, and the last few days we have very strong winds. Today:

Windy with mostly cloudy skies. High 43F. Winds WNW at 20 to 30 mph. Winds could occasionally gust over 40 mph.
  • WIND WNW 22 mph gusts to 32 mph

I think you're just realizing that having a Model S as your only car may limit your road trip capabilities in certain parts of the country. Obviously we are all hoping for/expecting some of these larger SC gaps to be filled in the future. Should you spend an extra $20K (or not buy the car) because of this deficiency? If you're saying it's adequate 95% of the time, then I say no.

Hey I'm in the same boat. The 90D is too rich for my blood but I've somehow tricked my mind into believing that 60 is not so. Funny how that works. I've never been so torn between anything like this. SO can you please confirm if you get that 180 miles on the 60D in winter, highway driving as well? Thanks

I have a 70D (I picked 75 as 70 wasn't there).
For me, I would buy a 40D if it were available, but driving patterns are the most important information needed to answer your question.
In my case I don't need more than 70 miles.

If you are making lots of short trips, and letting the car cool off between each trip, your range can be cut in half.
What type of trips are you making?
Do you have time to charge in the middle of the day?
Any chance for a mid day break near a supercharger (in which case you are set).
Do you have a garage?

If you are a realtor, driving over 150 miles in the worst blizzards we get without the ability to charge during the day, making lots of short trips, I wouldn't do it, look for a CPO 90 or 90D instead.
If you are driving long distances in one or two legs, winter isn't so bad (even the bad days).
If you can stop in Oakdale/St. Cloud/Eau Claire/Hinkley/Albert Lea or La Crosse at lunch, you are all set.

This doesn't really have anything to do with the choice of vehicle, but....

Aircraft pilots know this, but ironically, you do not spend equal amounts of time with headwinds and tailwinds. A headwind increases your energy expenditure for a given trip, while a tailwind decreases it. Therefore, if you travel from point A to B and then B to A with constant wind from point B, you'll spend more time with a headwind going from A to B (either through slower speed or more recharging) than you will going from point B to A.

Re vehicle choice, I had originally planned to get a 70D but succumbed to concerns that I would take too much of a hit from cold weather and wind in the winter time, so ended up buying a 90D.

So I drove home in about the same temperature but with no wind. Granted I am also now going down the mountains and I figure that only gave me 3%. (Up and down mostly) In my rudimentary calculations I figure that wind from the other day cost me about 16-18% of range. Had some rain and snow flurries as well

My car isn't in the survey: a plain old RWD 85.

It is just fine in the winter with proper winter tires... AWD not necessary. I do no believe AWD makes a car safer in the winter. It can make the car more capable, but sometimes that extra capability can make the car actually more unsafe when it comes time to stop. AWD will not help you there. In deep snow, the limiting factor is your ground clearance. AWD won't help there when your car is "floating" on top of the snow.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
You don't believe that it cuts the probability of all of your powered wheels being on an icy patch exactly in half?
Or you just don't think that matters?

I don't think it matters. I have many years of Canadian winter driving experience. Way and by far the best thing you can do is to install a set of good winter tires. When it comes to cornering and stopping in particular, having good winter tires will give you that edge in terms of grip and vehicle control.

I've owned FWD, RWD, AWD and 4WD vehicles over the years and truly believe that 4 or all-wheel drive may give you some added capability, like starting from a stop in deep snow, but once you're moving along the road, it's all about (tire) traction.

Has anybody done a survey asking how many road trips S owners drive per year?

I would think 90 vs 60 all depends on road trips for most of us

I do 2 road trips per year. 155 miles each way (Supercharger half way then at destination)

I fly anything longer than a 3 hour drive

So 60D for me.

I've had my 75D for almost a month now. I live in Toronto. I estimated my daily driving at 20 km daily but I'm finding I am driving it a lot more than my Audi. It's such a great car to be in. I can't help it!

If there's one regret it's not choosing the larger battery pack. If I was ordering the car today, I would choose the 90D or 100D.