Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Folks living in cold/Northern States, what Model S do you own?

Cold Weather Dwellers what do you own? Is it a 60D, 75D, 90D or P100D?

• 60D

• 75D

• 90D

• P100D

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The reality is that said:
I'm a fan of CPO and understand that a brand new vehicle can be such a waste of money. But the biggest thing keeping me with a new vehicle is the fact that none of the CPOs have Autopilot 2.0 or the ability to upgrade to Full Self Driving later. That really sucks otherwise I'd have not thought a second to go with a 90D CPO.

Model S 85D
Winter package
Michelin iceX snows
I live in Coeur d'Alene ID and commute 35 miles daily to Spokane. This car ignores snowy roads and is amazingly stable on ice.

My only issue with long distance travel in winter is range.
My best advice is to get the biggest battery you can, and in the winter give yourself a bigger charge buffer than you would in the summer.

Cold weather and headwinds will destroy your range.

You can pre-heat the car and battery while the car is still connected to the charger. It works on cold mornings to retain some range and it's convenient to start the heating with the phone app.

Many people in Ontario have a 'winter beater' car that they insure only for a few winter months. The risk of damage due to a careless driver, the risk of corrosion and a good source of heat make it an easy choice while the expensive car sits in the garage waiting for Spring.

It's an option to consider during this time of infrastructure expansion to support EVs.

Reactions: wesley888
You can pre-heat the car and battery while the car is still connected to the charger. It works on cold mornings to retain some range and it's convenient to start the heating with the phone app.

Many people in Ontario have a 'winter beater' car that they insure only for a few winter months. The risk of damage due to a careless driver, the risk of corrosion and a good source of heat make it an easy choice while the expensive car sits in the garage waiting for Spring.

It's an option to consider during this time of infrastructure expansion to support EVs.
Wish I had that kind of money. My only other "beater" is going to be my Cannondale bike. Lol!!

Reactions: KublaConn
Many people in Ontario have a 'winter beater' car that they insure only for a few winter months

Huh? I live in Ontario and don't know anyone with a secondary winter beater car...but I live near Toronto (big city), so...
As for the poll, we deliberately did not buy the Model S 60 and went with the S 85 for the range in winter.
We typically see 70% of the EPA range in winter, preheating the car in our garage before leaving on big trips.

• Helpful
Reactions: Tribaltech
Ontario as well
60 rwd with snow tires.
The traction control is so good on these cars, even the non awd.
Range can be an issue with the 60 in winter, but it depends on your driving habits. I only do 6 to 10 trips out of town a year, and they travel along the Supercharger routes for the most part.
I'd take a new 60D today over anything used to get AP2, free Supercharging, and a brand new car with full warranty and great build quality. If you want to keep costs down, you don't really NEED any options except AP. I'd spring for the new solid glass roof as well, and a nice paint color like white or red. Textile seats are great and hold up great over time.

• Helpful
In Markham winter beater cars are common. My immediate neighbours have them and they are not expensive. They are typically older rusty Japanese models with lots of reliable life, a good heater and snow tires. The Porsches, Mercedes and exotics are put in the garage for a few winter months and the insurance savings covers the cost of running a winter beater.

Too many drivers do not have winter driving skills so damage to others is highly likely. At the first snow fall many many collisions are reported because people drive like it is summer. The government feeds this notion by applying brine to the roads in advance of a snow fall which in my experience is corroding cars faster than ever.

My last point is that when an ICE burns fuel it produces lots of waste heat which is just what you need when it hits -30C or F.

Until the EV charging infrastructure is better I think it is a valid option to have an ICE for winter use. We do.

Someone from the other 60 vs 90 thread already posted. In that person's situation, under very cold weather, and in the mountain road, he was only getting like 50-60% of the EPA miles. Most people driving in that situation (under different thread) had to turn down the heat to get enough range to get to the destination. That's why everytime people ask why I would want the 90, I tell them I want to drive in a comfortable warm cabin. :)

Cold air is much denser than warm air, so in addition to cabin heating using the battery, more energy is required just to move the vehicle, especially in comparison to warm summer air. With ICE vehicles, the engine operates more efficiently at colder temperatures but with electric vehicles there's no gain to be made from the cold -- only losses all around. It's not too bad with a Tesla, but over at the Leaf forum there are posts about people dressing like they're going skiing, using portable propane heaters, etc. just to commute to work and back. The Leaf was definitely not made for cold climates.

I am near a regional highway (Highway 10)- and one of the few charging options along the way from the Toronto area to Lake Huron/Georgian Bay. In summer I get very few "customers". In winter, I get a pile of (mostly) S60's drop in due to the major range loss. Folks feel that a 60 charged to 90% will get them to and from destinations. In summer, it's no problem to do 150 Miles (240KM). In winter, on a cold day with strong winds, they find out they lose 30-40% of range.

So, I get a visit. They get a few hours of charge, and share a coffee with me, and watch the horses.....

Buy as much range as you can afford.
I'm on PlugShare. Feel free to drop in to Silver Fox farm!

PS: I have an 85D - no voting option....

• Helpful
I have a 70D, but if I had to buy again I would probably get a 60D. You just have to be okay with knowing your potential range takes a decent hit in cold. Most of the time this is irrelevant for daily driving.

In terms of long distance, it generally doesn't make much difference as there as theoretically very few SCs you can hit in a 90 you can't in a 60. Depending on your area SC situation, it may be inconvenient to take your Tesla. For instance, I'm driving from Ann Arbor to Danbury in a few days. You MIGHT be able to make it on I-80 in PA from (Pittsburgh) to Tannersville in a 90D, but no chance in a 60D/75D. I could go through Canada, but that adds like 5 hours of travel time if you count the actual charging. I'm begrudgingly using an ICE instead.

That being said, it's so rare that this situation will come up, that I didn't think it was worth trying to find the extra $12K to get a 90D

it generally doesn't make much difference as there as theoretically very few SCs you can hit in a 90 you can't in a 60
If you're only talking about what is possible, perhaps, but if you consider what is practical/convenient then it can make a big difference.
Just last weekend I drove from Indiana to Pittsburgh (mostly along I-70) in my 90D and was able, with a little bit of charge management,
to skip two of the four SpCs along the way -- two that were both non-trivially out of the way. In a 60 that would simply have been
impossible, making two very long days of driving even longer. I still think most people should stick with smaller batteries, all things
considered, but there can be real, practical difference for some long-distance driving.

Well, yesterday was my first 60D range problem. I left home with 100% as I often do when going to the lake house. It was somewhat cold 38 degrees but windy as heck. I felt this great drag coefficient car getting blown back and forth. Wonder how the truckers felt :)
Within the first hour I was getting warnings to stay under 60 MPH, and that's not happening :) I did have options of course and stopped at the Kingston NY SC er on the way. First time I have needed to do this for my 147 mile trip. So, I started checking efficiency and for every 10 miles I was using 11-12 miles of range. Sometimes 14! In the end I probably would have made the trip with 3% remaining but with time why chance it? It was so windy that it's hard to use this trip as a test case for future trips. I have a few years to perfect my data :)

Well, yesterday was my first 60D range problem. I left home with 100% as I often do when going to the lake house. It was somewhat cold 38 degrees but windy as heck. I felt this great drag coefficient car getting blown back and forth. Wonder how the truckers felt :)
Within the first hour I was getting warnings to stay under 60 MPH, and that's not happening :) I did have options of course and stopped at the Kingston NY SC er on the way. First time I have needed to do this for my 147 mile trip. So, I started checking efficiency and for every 10 miles I was using 11-12 miles of range. Sometimes 14! In the end I probably would have made the trip with 3% remaining but with time why chance it? It was so windy that it's hard to use this trip as a test case for future trips. I have a few years to perfect my data :)
In the interest of fairness you need to report back to us about your return trip if you have tail winds :)