Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Folks living in cold/Northern States, what Model S do you own?

Cold Weather Dwellers what do you own? Is it a 60D, 75D, 90D or P100D?

• 60D

• 75D

• 90D

• P100D

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my 75D for almost a month now. I live in Toronto. I estimated my daily driving at 20 km daily but I'm finding I am driving it a lot more than my Audi. It's such a great car to be in. I can't help it!

If there's one regret it's not choosing the larger battery pack. If I was ordering the car today, I would choose the 90D or 100D.
What, specifically, in your one month of experience drives this regret?

What, specifically, in your one month of experience drives this regret?

You seem like you're challenging the guy. I also wish I had a much larger battery. Maybe you don't drive much but there are many days I wish I had more juice than my 70D gives me. I don't want to think about finding a charger after driving 100-120 miles away from home before returning. I'd also like to drive at 80 mph instead of 65 mph to get a full 200+ miles on a very hot or cold day. I'd like to skip the superchargers on the 300 mile uphill drive to Mammoth from L.A. while driving fast - I need a 120D or more for that. On and on and on. The batteries are still far, far from ideal - as much as we like to kid ourselves otherwise.

Last edited:
Also @RogerHScott it is true - the Tesla with autopilot makes driving so enjoyable that I am more willing/eager to take longer road trips, go exploring, etc - which would make a bigger battery even more useful.

However Tesla is innovating so fast I didn't want to take the bigger depreciation hit because I know I'll not keep this AP 1.0 Model S more than 2 years max.

If a request for more information and explanation is a "challenge", I guess, so be it. I think the issue of battery size is one of the
most crucial EV questions so I'm always interested in hearing people's specific, practical experience rather than merely theoretical
concerns.

Unless the "...one month..." part of your sentence was intended to have no meaning, the implication as most people would interpret that sentence is that you are skeptical that a month of driving is enough to determine whether or not his battery is adequate. The question reads like a challenge.

Reactions: SmartElectric
P85DL. I waited till Tesla had the dual motor set up for AWD as I live on top of a steep mountain. I also went with the winter package with heated steering wheel but I am still running the all season tires since when the weather gets really bad I use the wife's Range Rover with designated snows. My only complaint is the heater could work better on the footwell area. We will see what update 8.0 does to modify that

I have a 70D and commute 130 to 215 miles per day. On the days I commute 130 miles I usually arrive home with @ 50 miles left on cold days (25 to 30 degrees) which means I really getting @ 180 miles (Keep in mind I am only charging to 90% (205 actual rated miles)). On the days I commute 215 miles I charge to 100% (228 actual rated miles). I get to my destination with @ 105 remaining and supercharge (Supercharger is 15 miles from my destination) for 30 minutes during lunch (gives me @ 200 rates miles to travel home. I arrive home with @ 80 miles remaining. I average 300-350 kWH/Mile at 75MPH (Mostly highway). For extended trips we take my wife's Model X but for every day driving the 70D is fine. I may feel differently if Superchargers were not easily accessible in my area (1 available during my 130 mile commute (rarely use it) & 3 available during my 215 mile commute (use every time I make this commute).

Reactions: SmartElectric
Unless the "...one month..." part of your sentence was intended to have no meaning, the implication as most people would interpret that sentence is that you are skeptical that a month of driving is enough to determine whether or not his battery is adequate. The question reads like a challenge.
Not to worry @calisnow @RogerHScott, I did not take the question as a challenge.

It's not really a regret but more a failure on my part in anticipating how much I would want to drive the S. With the S I'm looking for reasons to take it out of the garage! I even seriously considered a road trip from Toronto to Montreal when prior to that I vowed never to do the drive again. I prefer flying when the distance takes more than 2 hours to drive.

It would be nice to be have that extra mileage is all I'm saying and will consider that as my top priority in my next Tesla.

Well, many people talk about how a Dual Motor Tesla is crucial and you absolutely need it in cold weather/snow. I talked to an owner who lives a little north of Nort Bay, Ontario (Canada) and he said his classic Model S 85 performed great two winters in a row without any problems at all.

My only complaint is the heater could work better on the footwell area. We will see what update 8.0 does to modify that

Yes, the foot well heater is terrible. There is one very small vent for the lower heat. I have had some back issues with damaged nerves which causes less circulation in my feet, hence my feet are always cold. :( I end up turning the lower heater fan up higher and opening a window temporarily to warm my feet. Really only on longer trips but I have trouble getting a comfortable temp. in the car. Needs an improvement.
It would be nice to be have that extra mileage is all I'm saying and will consider that as my top priority in my next Tesla.

If I could afford to spend more it would be for a larger battery. I have a 16 mile round trip commute so that's not a problem. But I do go upstate 2-3 times a month and the last trip with heavy winds was the first time I needed to supercharge to reach my destination.

If you drive with snow/slush on the road, your range will be awful (plan on 50% rated). If it's just cold, you can plan on 80% (all other factors being equal - e.g. 65 MPH). If it's SUPER cold (< 0F) then 75% ... Frequent stops (get out of car, run an errand, come back in) when it's cold is killer, too.

Has anybody done a survey asking how many road trips S owners drive per year?

I would think 90 vs 60 all depends on road trips for most of us

I do 2 road trips per year. 155 miles each way (Supercharger half way then at destination)

I fly anything longer than a 3 hour drive

So 60D for me.
And I'll drive anything that doesn't involve crossing oceans. I put about 9000 miles of road trips on my S60 in a little over eight months. I've lost track of the number of Supercharger stops but do know that I have visited 34 different Supercharger Stations, thus far.

However, I try not to take road trips in winter since I don't like dealing with severe weather and mountains; been there, done that, prefer to just stay close to home and enjoy the lovely winter mountain vistas. So, winter range doesn't much matter to me.

If you drive with snow/slush on the road, your range will be awful (plan on 50% rated). If it's just cold, you can plan on 80% (all other factors being equal - e.g. 65 MPH). If it's SUPER cold (< 0F) then 75% ... Frequent stops (get out of car, run an errand, come back in) when it's cold is killer, too.

Whenever I do road trips, I keep detailed logs of my distances and energy use.I just got back from a Toronto-Chicago-Toronto road trip. Temps were mild when we left, turned cold, snow, heavy rain, then cold (near freezing) all the way back with a fair bit of rain and a bit of wet snow falling. Overall, I was about 8% over rated Miles, but was surprised to see actual=rated on a couple of legs.

Once warmed up, the car is pretty good in winter on long trips. Short trips where the car is cold-soaked, then driven short distances and stopped are brutal on range.