Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmm...Ioniq5 just had its best March sales ever (no tax rebates)...Tesla just had it's first decrease in recent memory (still eligible for tax rebates)

Personally this is my first and last Tesla. Absolutely love this car, but hate most of the "refresh" stuff. I'm driving this 2017 (MCU1) till the wheels fall off. But the competition is coming and I'm ready for it.

Damn...Is that 3% "legacy" just vertical screen folks? I would have thought the number would have been a lot higher than that. I know MCU1 FSD folks are less than 1%...We are the true LEGACY FSD!
Enjoy the Ioniq FSD. I had an EV6 before I decided to go with Tesla. There is no comparison or real competition. No one else is even attempting FSD. They are just waiting until Tesla perfects and decides to licence to every other manufacturer in the world.

My car will probably last me out but if not I will buy an EV but not a Tesla which has no stalks etc. I don't live in the States so have to indicate during opposite turns frequently and being right-handed find the touchscreen very difficult.
I do struggle with the screen as well. I have a condition called Erbs palsy and I can't extend my right arm greater than 75 degree. I do the best I can with voice commands but mostly prepare before I start driving so screen touch is minimal. When I do need to touch the screen, I have to teach across the steering wheel with my left hand. Tesla needs to bed up voice commands for accessibility reasons.

No... Because he was vague and said very little.
From what he has said, portrait S/X version of 12.x is going through validation, so there doesn't seem to be a hard blocker like lack of interior camera. If it's like 11.x releases, MCU2 will probably get it before MCU1 and generally independent of year. 12.3.3 has been spotted on 2017 Model 3, so hopefully that means once it's been validated, it'll equally go out to 2016-2021 HW3 vehicles.

One hope with FSD Beta -> Supervised is that it'll also perform significantly better than 10.x that various MCU1 have been running finally allowing it roll out wider to that audience.

From what he has said, portrait S/X version of 12.x is going through validation, so there doesn't seem to be a hard blocker like lack of interior camera. If it's like 11.x releases, MCU2 will probably get it before MCU1 and generally independent of year. 12.3.3 has been spotted on 2017 Model 3, so hopefully that means once it's been validated, it'll equally go out to 2016-2021 HW3 vehicles.

One hope with FSD Beta -> Supervised is that it'll also perform significantly better than 10.x that various MCU1 have been running finally allowing it roll out wider to that audience.
How much FSD code is running in the MCU?

Rohan Patel’s career has political hack written all over it. If that sounds derogatory, it’s only because I have experience with many of them and it has generally been less than useful. BS and more BS. When he refers to Tesla testing various configurations, virtually everyone in this lengthy thread is only too familiar with that generic statement. It's probably true but nothing we wouldn’t have assumed. But what does it mean?

For example, does he really have any knowledge whether Tesla is even trying to deliver v12 to MCU1 cars? Obviously with only a few exceptions MCU1 owners have been delivered nothing in the two years since FSD Beta was widely distributed. It seems unbelievable that will change or that Tesla is doing squat to change the status quo.

We are all understandably starved for info now that Musk is spending most of his time on other pursuits. So I suppose it is nice that any Tesla staff member made a couple tweets to tell us not to lose hope. Too bad it wasn’t someone whose job suggests it was anything more than political pablum.

How much FSD code is running in the MCU?
Most of it should be on FSD Computer, but given people's experiences with 2022.8.10.10 (and .15/.20) / FSD Beta 10.69.3.3, I believe at least the visualizations run at a lower framerate but driving behavior might be similar enough to MCU2 on the same 10.x. If it really had been a visualization issue, 12.x could be good news as it was spotted running just fine even when the compute node for visualizations crashed. Then again, did Tesla not add more MCU1 to FSD Beta or update to 11.x for highways because it wasn't safe enough that 12.x might be able to achieve?

After the memory upgrade, my MCU1 has been rock solid. Also I never had any of the physical problems (yellowing, bubbling) others have had. Why mess with it? Tesla OWES me “all the necessary hardware” to make FSD work.
Why mess with it? For the same reason you would replace an old laptop that had become slow and annoying. I'm extremely frugal, and I consider it money well spent. (moderator edit)

Last edited by a moderator:
I do struggle with the screen as well. I have a condition called Erbs palsy and I can't extend my right arm greater than 75 degree. I do the best I can with voice commands but mostly prepare before I start driving so screen touch is minimal. When I do need to touch the screen, I have to teach across the steering wheel with my left hand. Tesla needs to bed up voice commands for accessibility reasons.
I'm just the same with my left arm - in a RHD country. I have always been very right handed but a stroke 18m ago has accentuated the difficulties. Touch screen use is quite iffy - hitting the correct place even when stationary is problematic - and not helped by the fact that it seems that the various apps and functions seem to have been designed by different teams. For example why in this day and age cannot the virtual "buttons" actually look like 3D buttons and appear depressed when "on" - and be big so that a sideways glance can pick them out?

When he refers to Tesla testing various configurations, virtually everyone in this lengthy thread is only too familiar with that generic statement. It's probably true but nothing we wouldn’t have assumed.
Unfortunately so far seems to be the case:
The highest urgency seemed to have been for recently delivered S/X/Y with 2024.3.6 / 12.3.2.1 then 2024.3.10 / 12.3.3 releases. The next largest group that hasn't gotten any 12.x seems to be those with vehicle software on 2024.8.x, and it might be interesting that it seems like older S/X with HW3 are generally still being kept on 2024.2.x. If Tesla is prioritizing based on current audience sizes, it could be 2024.8.x then MCU2 S/X then HW4 Model 3 then MCU1 then Cybertruck?

Reactions: KArnold
Unfortunately so far seems to be the case:
The highest urgency seemed to have been for recently delivered S/X/Y with 2024.3.6 / 12.3.2.1 then 2024.3.10 / 12.3.3 releases. The next largest group that hasn't gotten any 12.x seems to be those with vehicle software on 2024.8.x, and it might be interesting that it seems like older S/X with HW3 are generally still being kept on 2024.2.x. If Tesla is prioritizing based on current audience sizes, it could be 2024.8.x then MCU2 S/X then HW4 Model 3 then MCU1 then Cybertruck?
MCU1 cars perhaps getting a higher priority than Cybertruck? That's kind of funny, but wouldn’t be so funny if I still had MCU1 on my 12/2016 S.

• Funny
Reactions: dbldwn02 and Krash
Reports are that FSDS V12.3.4 is going out to Legacy Model S/X as part of 2024.3.15:

43 pending on TeslaFi, none installed yet.

1712783093380.png