Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.69

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At 4 way stops it still takes way too long, drivers are impatient and don't want to wait so long before proceeding.
I found my FSDb experience improved greatly when I learned judicious use of two forms of nudging:
1. Lane nudging by pushing the turn signal to the stop (not just the detent) and letting go
2. Acceleration nudging by pressing the accelerator pedal for a bit.

I use the accelerator nudge both to get it to start moving when it waits too long, and to change the acceleration profile to one more compatible with surrounding traffic.

I don't use either "all the time" the way some folks posting here do, but when I want them, they really help out.

Maybe it's better this way haha. We got a next week....followed by another next week....followed by a THIRD next week...and now silence lol. Saying next week and not seeing the update for over a month is more annoying imo
yes, yet you and I know that is the rule rather than the exception :confused: however, he is pretty good at delivering babies. How many are there now? ;)

My first drive with 10.69.3.1:

Outbound from home to destination. No interventions. Nicely done with smooth turns. A little hesitant to make an unprotected right turn onto a multilane road, but once it decided to go, it committed well.

Inbound from destination to home. I chose an alternate route in the nav and the first thing the car did was turn right instead of left onto the highway at the start of the drive. It rerouted back to its preferred route so I let it continue. Otherwise, generally performed as expected. There was some lane indecision at an intersection with dedicated turn lanes, but ultimately the car got it correct and did not need any intervention. Once in my neighborhood, I had to take control as FSDb still cannot navigate the tiny traffic calming roundabouts correctly. It also positioned the car dead center in the road with oncoming traffic. These are old issues, but disappointed that there seems to be no progress with them.

I had one case where a car ahead of me made a right turn mid-block. My car seemed to react better and did not come to a near stop. However, the car was a little ways ahead, so I would not yet say that progress has been made in reducing the overreaction to turning cars. I'll be looking at that later today.

No interactions with pedestrians in crosswalks. But those are rare in my area.

They may be close to using available cycles for whatever but I doubt that is the reason for the behaviors.

I think that it is all due to tuning and figuring out layers and layers of inputs and reconciling them, before feeding them to an increasingly complex planner. Probably pretty difficult to determine/control the behavior in any particular scenario. I suppose they probably have knobs they can dial up and down but probably not easy to predict when they will work. Just very complex.

But I doubt the behavior is due to latency caused by compute limits. As we have seen in release notes recently, it could be latency due to bugs or code limitations of one form or another.
I could see some of that but would expect most of the design to remain unchanged for a .1 bug fix.

Yep, very complex and many degrees of freedom. I studied, programmed and trained NNs way back and thought it lacked a grand unifying theory. There still seems to be too much trial, error and magic today.

The next gen h/w specs might be an eye opener.

The sudden broad push of v10.69.3.1 is surprising. After the very small release two weeks ago, I just assumed it was broken and they were going to wait for v11, which was evidently close (push before Thanksgiving?). But now I guess they are realizing that v11 is further from release than they realized and there must be a new, dangerous bug that popped up in v10.69.2.4 that's necessitating the move to v10.69.3.1.

Or, maybe the broader push of v10.69.3.1 was always inevitable and was always going to proceed v11 which won't be broadly available until much later this year, and I'm just one of those idiots that even after 4+ years still gives credence to what Elon says in this regard.

• Funny
Reactions: GSP and EVNow
More testing 10.69.3.1 this morning. Car turned onto a residential street with a stop sign about 100 ft from the turn and failed to brake for it. With hard braking I got the car stopped, but not in time. Fortunately no other traffic, especially a cop! Stop sign was clear as day.

Very hesitant at some 4-way stops (making up for running others?), Right turn onto turnpike frontage road that requires quick left onto ramp still fails to make second lane change. Car slowed almost to stop in middle lane and had to disconnect.

Left turns at flashing yellow are far too hesitant and require accelerator.

One idiot tried merging into my car as I came off of turnpike. I can't say whether beta would have avoided a crash, but it needs to learn how to lay on the horn to wake up other drivers!

10.69.3.1, no snapshot icon for me. We have like 1-7ft of snow in parts of the area where I live, so testing has been somewhat limited. One thing, it slows down faster for speed limit changes. It doesn’t just coast for 20seconds like it did before.
Do you have any snow banks higher than the fender cameras? Wondering if that affects turns at Stop signs or T-Intersections?
Anyone from Buffalo?

Last edited:
The sudden broad push of v10.69.3.1 is surprising. After the very small release two weeks ago, I just assumed it was broken and they were going to wait for v11, which was evidently close (push before Thanksgiving?). But now I guess they are realizing that v11 is further from release than they realized and there must be a new, dangerous bug that popped up in v10.69.2.4 that's necessitating the move to v10.69.3.1.

Or, maybe the broader push of v10.69.3.1 was always inevitable and was always going to proceed v11 which won't be broadly available until much later this year, and I'm just one of those idiots that even after 4+ years still gives credence to what Elon says in this regard.
v11 was never pushing out to the masses before thanksgiving. Historically "widen" means the Youtubers. He's saying next month for wide release of v11. I think it was always planned as part of the Holiday update with Apple Music, etc.

Fun testing time this afternoon. Beta displayed additional weirdness. While making a right on red, a car crossing from right to left made a (legal) U-turn, putting us on a collision course. I suspect that beta would have stopped, but had not applied the brakes at the point that I did to be safe.

Not long after that, beta made a simple right turn onto a three-lane turnpike frontage road. Unlike the frontage road I had used earlier in the day, there was no rush to get to the left lane for entering the ramp. Regardless, beta began swerving back and forth between the two rightmost lanes like a drunk sailor. After a couple iterations of this, I took the wheel to demonstrate how to drive a straight line.

Oh, how I miss the beta report icon...

They may be close to using available cycles for whatever but I doubt that is the reason for the behaviors.
They keep talking about performance. It's definitely an issue.

Now, it's kind of weird to say, like OP, that H/W limit has been reached. It's all about how optimized is the software. If it's highly optimized and yet HW is maxed out, then we can say the processing power is the limitation. My guess is for this kind of application you can throw 10x the power and easily max out if software is not optimized.

Does production Autopilot run in the background when FSDb is enabled?
If it is, I wonder how much of an impact it has on CPU cycles, and what kind of improvements can be gained when we go to single stack from a car computer/processing standpoint.

I think vision-only AP uses some of the same NNs that FSD beta uses, like vehicle kinematics (other cars' speed, distance, trajectory, etc.). I doubt that Tesla is running unnecessary NNs while FSD beta is running.

The most obvious difference between AP and FSD beta is that AP uses single frame NNs for lane / road geometry detection. It shouldn't take that long for the car to stop the FSD beta specific networks and load the AP-only NNs from cache. The AP-only networks are probably light weight, as it's mostly just lane detection.

Basically, I doubt we'll see a boost in perception with the release of V11 (attributable to eliminating the legacy NNs altogether). If this were the case, Tesla would have mentioned some performance boost in the release notes, as a result of offloading the legacy NNs.

Mine updated to 69.3.1 overnight but I haven’t tried it yet. The previous build wasn’t too great despite being notably improved from the one before, so hopefully this one is another improvement.
Well, the new version is more polished overall when it’s not braking for no good reason and /or hesitating to go, which has unfortunately increased to the point where its not very usable where I live- urban SF East Bay Area- ‘22 MX. Also, no snapshot button anymore. Hopefully, it will improve with more use.

10.69.3.1, no snapshot icon for me. We have like 1-7ft of snow in parts of the area where I live, so testing has been somewhat limited. One thing, it slows down faster for speed limit changes. It doesn’t just coast for 20seconds like it did before.
So 10.69.3.1 may not be at its best in 7-foot-deep snow? Thanks for the warning..........I appreciate that..........

Do you have any snow banks higher than the fender cameras? Wondering if that affects turns at Stop signs or T-Intersections?
Anyone from Buffalo?
I’m south of buffalo, we have some pretty decent snow banks with the recent snowfall. It just creeps a little more than normal. I tried it a few times today, actually did well. BTW, Buffalo only got like 10-12” (maybe) of snow, South of buffalo got anywhere from 3-7ft. I live way south of buffalo, we always get tons of snow, so not really a big deal to see snow measured in feet.