Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.69

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this is funny, but I think the bar for generalized L2 is much much higher than L4.

100% agreed with that. Useful generalized L2 is much harder than L4. (It has to be everything L4 is, and then additionally needs to be spectacular enough to make the driver comfortable with accepting liability and willing to be happy with 100% monitoring the task while not actually doing it.)

I know this is funny, but I think the bar for generalized L2 is much much higher than L4.

100% agreed with that. Useful generalized L2 is much harder than L4. (It has to be everything L4 is, and then additionally needs to be spectacular enough to make the driver comfortable with accepting liability and willing to be happy with 100% monitoring the task while not actually doing it.)

Oops. Was going to consolidate posts, but then got interrupted in the middle. Ah well.

I guess like with other releases improvements are noticeable, but nearly imperceptibly so, except for feature additions.

I don’t think V11 will have any significant improvements when it comes to disengagement rate.
I'm looking for improvements primarily on restricted access highways so good chance the over-all disengagement rate won't improve significantly but the limited access highway "intervention" rate could decrease a lot for most drivers.

I miss it when it doesn't work ergo it's been useful when I can use it.
Agree with this. My complaint has been that FSD in moderate/heavy rain disengages too much but when it does work especially at night on roads I've never driven before it's very helpful. Last Thursday night in light rain FSD because of a traffic accident rerouted me from the highway to windy secondary roads. FSD was extremely helpful.

FSDs excess processing delays (FSDb time is not not real-time), design crutches (30ft crawls, myopia, jerky throttle/brake/steering), and generally being out to lunch likely indicates the team is doing what they can to get the software on the road while knowing future designs will bring more hardware processing and possibly more capable sensors.

Tesla's original hardware design with 2 core 'redundancy' shows little homework was done upfront as current hardware is likely 4x to 8x insufficient for the current design. Add more capable sensors, a goal of fewer 'corner cases,' real-world nimbleness, and I would guess hardware needs grow closer to 10x. All out of my back-side assuming TSLA wants to keep a goal of hardware redundancy (I bet they don't).

Last edited:
So is FSD Feature Complete now? Or is ELon just shocked (for like, the 10th time)?

Tesla CEO Elon Musk said during the Q4 2021 Earnings Call that he is confident the company's Full Self-Driving suite will be finished by 2022. Musk was extremely confident in his prediction, stating he will be “shocked” if Tesla does not complete FSD by the end of the year.

So is FSD Feature Complete now? Or is ELon just shocked (for like, the 10th time)?

Tesla CEO Elon Musk said during the Q4 2021 Earnings Call that he is confident the company's Full Self-Driving suite will be finished by 2022. Musk was extremely confident in his prediction, stating he will be “shocked” if Tesla does not complete FSD by the end of the year.
The Charlatan will just redefine FSD again to match the current city streets abomination that was released during the holiday’s.

• Helpful
Reactions: 2101Guy
The Charlatan will just redefine FSD again to match the current city streets abomination that was released during the holiday’s.

FSDs definition has matched the definition of city streets since March 2019. Like, that was literally the definition and name of the only undelivered part of FSD since then.

It's only in the FSDb that that feature was actually available on cars.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Does it give alt routes ... ?
This morning I checked to be sure and only the one route offered. It also “guessed” wrong and tried to route through the construction site with it blocked off so I had to disengage. So it is a disengage if if choses the alternate route and also if the choses the main route and it is blocked.

Screenshot 2023-01-09 at 12.08.03 PM.png

Yes, have to get into the Peachtree St couple of blocks earlier.

I think the next big thing for FSDb to do is in planning. Nav should be updated to avoid difficult maneuvers.
Just for kicks here it is going the opposite direction making a right turn from 16th St onto West Peachtree St and trying to cross 5 lanes to make a right turn on Arts Center Way. It actually has more distance this way than the right turn off Arts Center Way to left on 17th St. There was almost no traffic this morning so I let it play out and 100% can’t do it and misses by 2 lanes.

You meant, “9/10ths” empty (or 1/10th full), right? 🤣

That 1/10 comment is just a take on the ULT bets - nothing really to do with FSD quality....

Yep, for some, around 90% is good enough (ULTs sadly have STILL not made it to 90% unless we missed something in Chuck’s recent testing - he seems very sad to not have V11 and may be silently boycotting, hard to say).

For me: I believe FSD is nearly 9/10ths of the way there, and that is nowhere near good enough (results in 2-3 disengagements per mile with the way issues are currently distributed).

May the resolution for 2023 be to get the first 9! The second 9 would be great but I think is way too much to hope for. Probably need 2-3 9s for it to be useful (if a bit dangerous and needing to be monitored rigorously).

My main hope for 2023 is to get awesome & robust driver monitoring. This is the way. It would be so awesome.

I'm pretty sure Tesla has a simulated or actual HW4-equivalent system running with larger models.

And I am pretty sure we would know about it if they had solved all the problems with that hardware.

Honestly for me it seems like if they could figure out how to slow down and how to speed up, and allow me to control lane changes, that would solve 90% of my problems and be usable in a broad range of suburban scenarios. And that seems like it should not require new hardware.

Not that that would meet the objectives - but would make much more usable.

Of course, not being usable may well be a feature.

Currently many limitations due to software, and probably many limitations due to hardware.

Honestly for me it seems like if they could figure out how to slow down and how to speed up, and allow me to control lane changes, that would solve 90% of my problems and be usable in a broad range of suburban scenarios. And that seems like it should not require new hardware.

I'm assuming your slowing going issues are similar to the prior ones.

I think most of all our annoyances stems from the intersections / road geometry / semantics training. During AI Day 2, Tesla said they trained on over a million intersections, but I think this NN model has to be distilled quite a bit to fit into the HW3 at runtime. Either this is the case, or Tesla is still slowly auto-labeling more and more intersections (which takes time), so the improvement will be linear over time...