Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.69

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably different road conditions. Here, the lane changes are immediate, and you have to swerve it back to prevent an erroneous lane change.
When you say immediate, you mean the car makes a lane change without notifying you at all? My car always puts up a blue banner at the top of the navigation route info saying "Upcoming Lane Change - Press Here To Cancel", so I know it's going to be changing lanes soon. It will usually give the reason too, like "For Route" or "For Faster Lane", etc. If I can see there is some congestion up ahead, usually before a freeway onramp, I just initiate the lane change early, usually before the blue banner, or just after the banner appears. If I get a speed based lane change notice, and I know it's going to be a problem with congested lanes ahead, or the route needs a turn, I disengage the system and handle the turn myself, then re-engage.

When you say immediate, you mean the car makes a lane change without notifying you at all? My car always puts up a blue banner at the top of the navigation route info saying "Upcoming Lane Change - Press Here To Cancel", so I know it's going to be changing lanes soon. It will usually give the reason too, like "For Route" or "For Faster Lane", etc. If I can see there is some congestion up ahead, usually before a freeway onramp, I just initiate the lane change early, usually before the blue banner, or just after the banner appears. If I get a speed based lane change notice, and I know it's going to be a problem with congested lanes ahead, or the route needs a turn, I disengage the system and handle the turn myself, then re-engage.

For me, I have set my Tesla to ask for change lane before doing it, which helps on any surprises and also staying the lane since the majority of the time if I am using FSD I do not like changing lanes unless I am exiting the road or there is a major slow down on the specific lane.

For me, I have set my Tesla to ask for change lane before doing it, which helps on any surprises and also staying the lane since the majority of the time if I am using FSD I do not like changing lanes unless I am exiting the road or there is a major slow down on the specific lane.

This setting does not apply to FSDb on surface streets.

I don’t think it even changes the notifications or warnings when in FSDb.

This setting does not apply to FSDb on surface streets.

I don’t think it even changes the notifications or warnings when in FSDb.

Not sure what you mean but in my Tesla FSDb with this setting it does warn/notify me about changing lanes but it will not do it unless I allow it - that is what I mean, at least for me and for now, I do not want it to change lanes unless I want it to.

Got 2022.44.30.10 ( FSD 25.2) last night. Drove today about 16 miles total. First trip about 8 miles with UPL, UPR all were successful and safe no intervention needed. Had to use turn signal to tell the car to get into the right lane, about .3 of a mile from a right turn. It slowed to cross RXR tracks which was new. Return trip, UPL car stopped 30 feet from stop sign entering a 4 lane road with light traffic. It took 6 to 8 seconds to move to the stop line displayed on the monitor then it seemed unsure how to proceed, the steering wheel was moving left and right quickly for no reason I could see. As we were waiting for traffic to subside to make the left turn a car stopped in front of us to make a left turn into the road we were on, the car moved forward then stopped then as the other made its turn in front of us we began to move forward but then stopped. After the other car moved past us we pulled into the roadway and accelerated. This seemed to be a very difficult task for the car, I had not seen it have this much problem before with UPL. It got into the correct lane correctly about .8 mile from an upcoming RT but then had a great deal of difficulty making a UPL, so much so I disconnected to make the turn.
Long story short it still needs lots of work for L4.

Reactions: kabin
Looking forward to seeing the real world stats for 2022 in California. I'm guessing the accident rate for driverless Waymos is significantly less than 1 per 9,000 miles. haha.
Their published data for Chandler says they were hit once during 65,000 miles of driverless operation.
I think the 9k is in CA ?

It is always a difficult question as to what would have happened if the disengagement was not done. Overall, as the disengagement rate goes down, it will be easier to actually do analysis on every disengagement and classify them into severity - just like we do with bugs. Obviously not all disengagements would have led to accidents - but companies are trying to optimize the driving based not just on accidents but also on comfort etc.

I expect Waymo accident rate to be much less than 1 in 9k miles. There stats include their drivers testing - and those are obviously in ODD with lower confidence.

We have a lot of median separated four lane roads in our neighborhood. There are lots of instances where cars coming into the median area to prepare for a merge are assumed to be existential threats with very hard braking. Interesting problem, when you think about it. A car moving quickly into the median from one side of traffic COULD just continue and ram into you, but we humans assume other drivers will do the right thing. FSDb just sees it as a car moving quickly at an angle and speed that could create a crash if it didn't stop in the median area.
The human vision system is pretty spectacular compared to FSDb. We can differentiate a vehicle's path, velocity, and know how to respond on the fly. FSDb, not so much but it still needs to make quick decision so sometimes it's wrong. The side view B pillar cameras are low performers when estimating a target vehicle's velocity, range, and path.

It does that when on highway NoA, and I have my settings so that I acknowledge each one.

On local streets, the car will signal and move over with very little delay between. I've had to swerve the car back to the original lane to counter it. Of course this disengages FSDb (but leaves TACC on) and most annoyingly, the turn signal is still on! so I have to manually shut off the blinker too.

Certainly there is a LOT of unnecessary blinking and I would disengage if there were any significant traffic around, where it would be confusing or a hazard to other road users. But no one is going to be using FSDb when there is significant traffic, anyway. So not really a big deal.
Seems to be an overreaction in the coding that corrected the tendency to not use turn signals when moving into a turn lane.

BTW, I use FSDb in all sorts of traffic, including rush hour and traffic jams.

Another quick observation. I think 10.69.25.2's visualization has been scaled to match the USS visualization. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing the USS lines go midway through cars and obstacles before. But today I noticed it was pretty well matched. You can just barely see the front and left USS lines here as they touch the nearby vehicles:

PXL_20230124_220604410~2.jpg

And then here's parking in a tight spot with walls on my left and right:

PXL_20230124_222718829~2.jpg

Maybe scaling the FSDb visualization to the USS visualization is a step in the process of developing Tesla Vision Park Assist?

I was able to take 25.2 for my standard commute today.
On the way home it got pretty close to being pretty if I exclude the first few miles.
Highway was really nice, no late braking etc.
For the first time ever it managed to take the double left traffic light. Of course it started in the right lane, moved in the left lane for the corner then immediately back into the right lane, at least it made it. All previous attempts had failed.
It still took way too long when going from a 55mph to 40 mph speed limit, I'm amazed it still does that. Oddly it seemed to figure it out and annoyingly used the friction brakes to get down to 42.
All in all, mostly positive.
The start of the drive was appalling. It started out with the Nav showing us at least 3-4 blocks away from actual location. I didn't notice until I'd engaged FSDb and it immediately tried to turn right from the left lane of a 6 lane wide city street. I gave up on FSD immediately and for the next few miles the nav kept insisting that I turn down some other road that was two blocks away.
Even on the highway it was over a block away. Finally after a mile or so on the highway it finally figured it out and I could restart FSD (more accurately AP at this point)
I haven't seen that issue with FSD since the really early versions which is rather concerning.
Curious how the others roads are now.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
I was able to take 25.2 for my standard commute today.
On the way home it got pretty close to being pretty if I exclude the first few miles.
Highway was really nice, no late braking etc.
For the first time ever it managed to take the double left traffic light. Of course it started in the right lane, moved in the left lane for the corner then immediately back into the right lane, at least it made it. All previous attempts had failed.
It still took way too long when going from a 55mph to 40 mph speed limit, I'm amazed it still does that. Oddly it seemed to figure it out and annoyingly used the friction brakes to get down to 42.
All in all, mostly positive.
The start of the drive was appalling. It started out with the Nav showing us at least 3-4 blocks away from actual location. I didn't notice until I'd engaged FSDb and it immediately tried to turn right from the left lane of a 6 lane wide city street. I gave up on FSD immediately and for the next few miles the nav kept insisting that I turn down some other road that was two blocks away.
Even on the highway it was over a block away. Finally after a mile or so on the highway it finally figured it out and I could restart FSD (more accurately AP at this point)
I haven't seen that issue with FSD since the really early versions which is rather concerning.
Curious how the others roads are now.
I’ve also seen the location of the car not matching up with nav on 25.1 & 25.2. This was an issue I’ve seen way back on 10.3.X as well, and it really screws things up.

Still idiotic use of blinkers, most all (or, let’s just call it all) of the awful issues of 25.1 are still present in 25.2. Turns do seem somewhat smoother, could just be the placebo effect of the new shiny.

They should have just stopped at 10.69.3.2, this was the last version that actually worked halfway decent.

10.69.25.2 tried to dive in front of a bus to change lanes, even though there was literally a red light ahead and there was not enough space to even complete the lane change. The upcoming right turn was still ~2 blocks away. I did switch it from Average to Assertive earlier today, so back to Average it goes...

Also speaking of random blinker behavior - I was sitting in a left turn lane waiting for the green light and the left blinker kept turning on and turning off.

Also, still an early rollout so I don't know if too many conclusions can be drawn yet, but it seems like we may already be back to one FSD Beta firmware version and one mainstream firmware version. First new version of 2023 is 2023.2.0.5 with a couple of new features (auto heated steering wheel and pulsating Sentry headlights), and none of the new installs are from any of the previous FSD Beta versions (2022.44.30.10, 2022.44.30.5, or 2022.44.25.5).

Only about 70 installs though, and about 560 pending, so it may change: TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker

Edit: some more discussion from Teslascope:

I can’t really think of another workable solution long
Perhaps an easy option for the short term is to get the turn warn pop-up to consistently prompt 15+ seconds ahead of time and if cancelled don't re-prompt for a time. Maybe an exception if a turn is imminent, only in the direction of the upcoming turn. Sounds like some form of "lane change warning with driver option to opt-out" has always part of the design.

But yah, long term ideally it should be automatic 100% of the time but practically that's seriously problematic today.

Reactions: Rdaniels