Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.69

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a huge cheerleader for FSD Beta but I do wish people would stop using the term 'blown away' *every time* they talk about new versions. Elon started this and now everyone says it constantly.
In fairness if you watch you will see she is 100% genuinely excited by the drive. If she is faking and NOT "blown away" then she is a better actor than Meryl Streep.😂

EDIT: She actually says Mind Blown and not Blown Away. Misquote on my part.

Last edited:
Having the expectation that a beta release will complete every drive without any hiccups is unreasonable. The haters use that filter in social media to constantly highlight only those bits were it does something erratic.

The measure at this stage of the game is, how it handles some of the more complex situations and is it progressing? Sure there will be a wrong lane selection here and there, an abrupt stop here and hesitation there. Tesla will eventually solve all of them. But the question is, is it progressing in the right direction? Overwhelmingly the shills are saying, YES. The whiners continue to ignore all that and keep pointing only to issues. Progress is not made by the nit-pickers, but by those that also look at the big picture and understand the improvements.

I'm hopeful that someday people will learn to use landscape when taking videos. Nice to have a wider field of view.
Here is an image I made from a pic I took a few years ago. I despise vertical videos and the obtuse loss of horizontal picture information.

Vertical Video.jpg

If your mind isn't blown by the progress with 10.69.1.1, I don't think you'll ever be impressed with fsd. Once fsd is at human performance, it'll just look similar to a human driving, which is unimpressive... Lol

Minus parking lots, 10.69.1.1 is already looking to perform better than any other competitor using HD maps. That's mind blowing for sure, and it represents a monumental shift in what can be expected by a vision-only system that: uses relatively few low-res cameras and a cheap low power cpu.

Downloaded and driven.

So as many of you know on my last FSD Beta posts I am about dirt roads, and transition from those to pavement. Much improvement coming from dirt to high traffic. Still the same as prior release as leaving high traffic in transition to dirt. Poor. Will avoid turn take car .5 miles out of way. Car still pauses to oncoming traffic in my mind too much on dirt roads compared to how I have driven them for 30 years.

Loop takes me into town which I would say performance as downright impressive. Car stopped for pedestrians that were questionable on the stop, but they were thankful. Some hesitations, but less than a novice driver.

Summary. 35 miles in. Improvements. Especially in city settings. Less hesitations or herky jerky. I like to try it in a couple different areas. Wet, dark, and when I don't care about it being new.

Never got a visual cue. I wear glasses. I got them often prior. Hey its 35 miles. So not worth much.

as I have to drive today anyway, I will immediately get a chance to test. Looking forward to checking my UPL. I do not have high hopes.

We are all expecting another honest assessment you lucky bastard! 😉
So, not too much time yet, and I did take videos, but no time to process them for now (possibly ever).

Quick impressions:
My UPL: failed twice, was successful the third time.
- It is still turning the wheel to the left before it gets to the turn when creep network is inactive.
- when the creep network turns on, the wheel turns back to the right (new!), but this takes a while and still leaves the car in the wrong place (too far to the left, cutting off left-turning traffic). Right now: It’s a two-stage (maybe 3?) process: 1) proceed to stop, then 2) wait for creep network to turn on and 3) start creeping.

- the first “failure,” it made the turn, but I don’t like the behavior where it goes with oncoming traffic on the far side. My turn is the type where you just wait for both directions to clear and go. If it had gone aggressively, it would have had plenty of room, but it did not of course. It needs to be much more assertive if there is not a lot of time. No one should be slowing down for me! There was a car coming on the far side, and close enough that they changed lanes to avoid me when they saw me go (I disengaged and sped up so they never even came close to passing me). It seemed like the car was planning to wait in the median merging lane, which is completely incorrect. You use that lane to get up to ramming speed!
- second failure, it creeped way too far! I disengaged because I wasn’t sure it was going to stop and there was traffic coming and I did not want to freak them out. It isn’t fast enough to creep (too much delay), then when it creeps, it creeps too fast!
- I do not know if Tesla will ever implement the behavior where it ignores the stop line (which is usually way too far back for visibility - though it does not show in Street View, there is a stop line painted now on my turn (no yellow line in the middle though)), and just proceeds to the correct spot. But if they do not (might be illegal, even though nearly everyone does this single stop rather than double stop), they need to make the whole process much faster (stop at line quickly, then without delay, start creeping slowly).
- in any case it sticks out way further than needed. My turn has very good visibility; though creeping is needed past the stop line, there is not a need to proceed as far as it does. Reported.
- on the successful attempt, there was no traffic. It used the merging lane in the smoothest fashion I have ever seen. Nothing to write home about, but progress! (It’s also been wildly inconsistent on this in the past, so curious how it will do on a few more tries; could have been luck.)

Other observations:
- it failed to enter a two left-turn lane area in time (so it crossed late, across the solid white line). There was no traffic. I think this is a regression, probably due to the deep lane guidance stuff. It was signaling in time, it just did not move into the area. Reported.
- The torque sensing seems much more touchy. I have rarely seen the blue screen nag, but this time on the freeway I disengaged AP twice, attempting to clear the torque nag (a standard tug (which of course I was already applying) did not work). This also happened on a surface street and I just disengaged there since it would not “take” the input.
My guess is this is a temporary tuning issue to keep people extra alert, that will be addressed. Or they dialed it up on my car only, just to spite me for all my b**ching about the strike reset. Reported. My prediction: a bunch of new strikes for people who just had their strikes reset. No more resets please! There is no excuse, even for hardware failures. If it’s not working turn off FSD/AP. That is my line in the sand.

- Overall, on the few turns I did take, the steering was pretty good. On one of them, the unwind was a bit jerky. I would say overall improved smoothness, with a lot of work to do. I don’t think I have enough seat time yet to fully evaluate this.

- It’s very slow and falls behind other traffic and does not get up to the set speed in a timely manner without accelerator input. No changes noted here.

- On the slowing for traffic lights (no testing of stop signs), it was generally smoother than before. Still definitely not butter smooth. Need more checking to evaluate.

- My exit still results in the car zooming into it at 75mph. It jams on the brakes (actual brakes) once it crests the blind hill, and slows down on the downhill. This is not new behavior though. Really bad. I have reported this in the past. I would drive this way if I were trying to set a speed record, except I would brake later in that case and use all of my tire traction.

The general environment here is well marked arterial surface streets, similar to Spring Canyon (plus a long section of freeway not of relevance except for the torque nag). Occasional turns at lights but mostly just driving straight.

Pretty much what I expected, except the creep behavior is not as good as I expected. Looks like they need to tune that a bit still, to get the right behavior. This error has been widely reported in many of the above posted videos, so it generally seems like a well-known issue. Hopefully 10.69.2 will adjust it a bit!

Definitely seems like there are improvements in several key areas, but I need to drive with it more to be able to assess how much (or even whether they are actually improved!) exactly.

Last edited:
Just say it: mind blowing!
I get it. Say one thing good and everyone jumps on it. LIke I said in a city setting in a small town it did very well. Many things I wanted it to encounter it did. Car handled those and moved on like any other driver. Before I felt the car made me look less than stellar.

I get it. Say one thing good and everyone jumps on it. LIke I said in a city setting in a small town it did very well. Many things I wanted it to encounter it did. Car handled those and moved on like any other driver. Before I felt the car made me look less than stellar.
@powertoold is just messing with ya. Thanks for the update.
It's all us 10.12.2 people have right now is the lucky peoples take who received 69...

I am a huge cheerleader for FSD Beta but I do wish people would stop using the term 'blown away' *every time* they talk about new versions. Elon started this and now everyone says it constantly.
Hmmmm, yea, there are some terms that get overused. Frankly, I didn't watch the video as there is something about that lady that makes me want to turn her off. :)

Hmmmm, yea, there are some terms that get overused. Frankly, I didn't watch the video as there is something about that lady that makes me want to turn her off. :)
Funny you say that. I used to be subscribed to her channel a while back and unsubscribed. I couldn't remember why I unsubscribed until watching that video.

Frankly, I didn't watch the video as there is something about that lady that makes me want to turn her off.
Just to spare you and cut to the essentials:

“Praise the little baby Jesus!” [car drives in correct place on the road]
“C’mon girl, you got it” [car jerks horribly around a right turn]
“My mind was BLOWN” [discussion of prior driving I think]
“Holy s**t, it’s doing it” [car makes left turn]