Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.69

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks pretty good in this vid

Not that different from 10.12.2 in these scenarios IMO. Got stuck behind double parked cars twice (and YOLOs past another as an oncoming car passes at the same time), creeps for visibility through some empty intersections, uses blinker when not needed on curved roads, a little timid at 4-way stops with other vehicles around, one abrupt false lane change (the narrator says it’s because of a stopped car but it’s hard to see in the video if there was an obstruction). The blue line visualization for creep behavior is pretty cool.

We have seen in prior videos (prior builds) it doesn’t and essentially failure on #4 was a demonstration of its blasé attitude to oncoming traffic.
I’m not sure that experience from prior builds is relevant since the overall behavior and strategy of 10.69 in this scenario is so different than before. I’ll wait to see what it does now.

I’m not sure that experience from prior builds is relevant since the overall behavior and strategy of 10.69 in this scenario is so different than before. I’ll wait to see what it does now.
Agreed, for sure, but the failure demonstrates that it doesn’t seem to value clearing traffic lanes in a timely manner too highly. Yet. Might be tuned up easily.

Not that different from 10.12.2 in these scenarios IMO. Got stuck behind double parked cars twice (and YOLOs past another as an oncoming car passes at the same time), creeps for visibility through some empty intersections, uses blinker when not needed on curved roads, a little timid at 4-way stops with other vehicles around, one abrupt false lane change (the narrator says it’s because of a stopped car but it’s hard to see in the video if there was an obstruction). The blue line visualization for creep behavior is pretty cool.
There was also an abrupt lane change on an intersection on a curve. Whole Mars was impressed that it didn’t crash (at least that is what he said).

Looks like lane selection will have issues still, although the deep lane guidance network using maps should help a bit hopefully.

Stop signs frustrating too.

Might be worth $9k I guess? ($15k-$6k)

Last edited:
Really hoping this is the improved lane selection we’ve all been waiting for. Lane selection errors account for 75-90% of my disengagements.

There’s a difference between ’not driving like I do’ and not driving safely or comfortably. Right now, 12.3.20 does the latter - still has violent jerks of the steering wheel during turns, suddenly accelerates hard or brakes hard for no apparent reason, stops at yields when there’s no traffic at all, etc.

Some people will never be happy but I agree - oftentimes 12.30.2 was barely tolerable.
Capricious lane changes have been my single biggest complaint. I really hope they've sorted that out, or that we get an option to check in autopilot setup that says- "no unnecessary lane changes"

I had the same reaction. But we didn't see the before state. so while objectively FSD still fails, it's probably an improvement.
The only release I've ever been on is 10.12.2 since mid-June. Jerky turning on low-speed turns is a big distraction for me. It was crystal clear to me form this video that 10.69 is a major improvement in that specific aspect. Yes, I saw jerking I'd not have liked. But way, way less.

I had the same reaction. But we didn't see the before state. so while objectively FSD still fails, it's probably an improvement.
It’s true he did not say it was perfect and he said it was “smoother” than before.

Notably, this is a rare Whole Mars video that is not sped up 5x, which was required before to hide all the flaws on the “mind-blowing” drives. So maybe fewer flaws need hiding?

All the stopping behavior is very hard to assess without driving the vehicle, but it still looks messed up to me, even if improved (and the fact that Whole Mars says it is messed up a bit means…it probably is). I was hoping maybe their new ability to know where the car is would help with that but maybe some tuning needed still.

• Disagree
Reactions: EVNow
It’s true he did not say it was perfect and he said it was “smoother” than before.

Notably, this is a rare Whole Mars video that is not sped up 5x, which was required before to hide all the flaws. So maybe fewer flaws need hiding?

All the stopping behavior is very hard to assess without driving the vehicle, but it still looks messed up to me, even if improved (and the fact that Whole Mars says it is messed up a bit means…it probably is). I was hoping maybe their new ability to know where the car is would help with that but maybe some tuning needed still.

I saw nothing difficult in that video as well. He's driving in a city grid, at night with little traffic. Put the same car in Boston where there are no grids, and every intersection is very unique, and the car will fail like crazy. San Fran is pretty tame compared to many other cities.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Notably, this is a rare Whole Mars video that is not sped up 5x, which was required before to hide all the flaws on the “mind-blowing” drives.
C'mmon - that is BS.

Most of his videos are uploaded in both sped up and 1x raw. Infact he even started showing his foot position so people can see if he is pressing the accelerator.

1661106135942.png

I like the creeping visualization. Half the time I disengage because I'm not sure how much its going to creep.

Right in time for my return from the long summer trip too.
I think this may also be a true change in creeping behavior. For instance today mine was still creeping while about ½ through the first lane. So hopefully 10.69 is now laying down a hard stop for creeping. It seems to be positioning the creep line to the curbs or road edge lines..

Reactions: FSDtester#1
I like the creeping visualization. Half the time I disengage because I'm not sure how much its going to creep.

Right in time for my return from the long summer trip too.
Yep this is a key feature which it was apparently previously incapable of (since it did not know what it could not see. 85 sounds like). Hopefully we’ll see natural follow-on improvements over the next couple years.

Still on 10.12.2 but some very strange behavior last night. Two lane recently marked straight country road no moon or streetlights. FSD kept going in and out of FSD every 1/4 mile. Then at one point car braked and stopped in the lane ( 50 mph road) as there was no traffic I let it sit there for two minutes before taking over. UGH!. On a positive note later on car slowed and showed a notification speed reduced for emergency lights as an ambulance passed. Never saw that response before. Guess we will see what 10.69 brings an wondering where those 1st 1000 vehicles as Teslifi shows 3 .

Hi 10.69,

Please help me with the math here...
TeslaFi shows 3 installed on 10.69 and one downloaded or in process.
That is 4 cars...
4 out of 1000 is a pretty poor showing on TeslaFi.

So is this a pre-release before 1000 really get it???

Thanks,

Shawn
TeslaFi has about 3,300 FSD Beta vehicles, or ~3.3% of the FSD fleet. So if things were equally distributed there should be ~33 vehicles on 10.69. So yeah, it isn't an even distribution. (It is possible that Tesla specifically prefers non-TeslaFi vehicles for early releases.)

I am really surprised that Tesla did not try to solve the Chuck's UPL with a two step process. i.e. treat the median as a lane. First move the car into the median safely with clearance of both front and back from traffic and stop close to parallel to the right side traffic. Then do a regular right lane merge. This should cover most UPL with median. We have a lot of those coming out of Shopping/business areas onto fast traffic. The medians were put there specifically to facilitate this UPL safely.