Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.69

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On this topic - when they add a substantial new group of testers (as they’re about to do this week) they REALLY should send them an email going over in detail the current state of FSD, how to enable it, what to watch out for, etc.

When I was added to the beta on 10.2 we got a very basic email from Tesla (it even had spelling mistakes). But they've had enough time to put together a glossy welcome email with embedded videos etc.

It always amazes me how little other Tesla owners (even those who purchased FSD) actually know about what the software can - and can't - do.
Here is the original email from 10/12/21... and yes it says "thank" instead of thanks!

Hello Shill, We mean @Ramphex

We will be pushing FSD Beta Version 10.2 to your vehicle shortly!

Full Self-Driving is in limited early access Beta and must be used with additional caution. It may do the wrong thing at the worst time, so you must always keep your hands on the wheel and pay extra attention to the road. Do not become complacent. When Full Self-Driving Beta is enabled, your vehicle will make lane changes off highway, select forks to follow your navigation route, navigate around other vehicles and objects, and make left and right turns. Use Full Self-Driving Beta only if you will pay constant attention to the road, and be prepared to act immediately, especially around blind corners, crossing intersections, and in narrow driving situations. Every driver is responsible for remaining alert and active when using Autopilot and must be prepared to take action at any time.

As part of receiving FSD Beta, your vehicle has automatically opted into VIN associated telemetry sharing with Tesla, including Autopilot usage data, images and/or video. If you wish to be removed from the limited early access FSD Beta please email [email protected]

Your vehicle is running on Tesla Vision! Note that Tesla Vision also includes some temporary limitations, as noted below:

Follow distance is limited to 2-7.
Autopilot top speed is 80 mph.
How to provide feedback:

Press the "Video Record" button on the top bar UI to send an Autopilot Snapshot video clip.
Clips are automatically sent to the engineering team. You will not be able to view the clip.
You can email your feedback to [email protected].
In your email please include date, time, location, and if you took an Autopilot Snapshot. This helps us investigate issues, and better understand your feedback.

Thank,

The Tesla Team

Edit: Added the @Ramphex , it originally said @AlanSubie4Life

Last edited:
Let's goooo

100% success in heavy traffic

I can’t remember who was on which side, but someone owes someone a beer - that was perfect!

On the run where Chuck was so nervous about how far out the nose was you can actually see a line on the pavement that’s even or just behind the curb line for the cross traffic and his car is clearly behind that line. I looked to me like FSD gauged it perfectly, even if it was making Chuck nervous.

I can’t remember who was on which side, but someone owes someone a beer - that was perfect!

On the run where Chuck was so nervous about how far out the nose was you can actually see a line on the pavement that’s even or just behind the curb line for the cross traffic and his car is clearly behind that line. I looked to me like FSD gauged it perfectly, even if it was making Chuck nervous.
6/7 per the terms (too large a gap on final attempt; requirement was 5 seconds, it was more than 6 seconds (as Elon alluded to)) (actually 7.6 seconds, 9:35.65 to 9:43.25). I think this makes it 7 out of 8 (light traffic) plus 6 out of 7 (moderate & some heavy traffic). So that's under 90%. I was holding my breath there, then I saw the last one. Whew!

The (second) beer is mine. It was close though! It'll be good to see another sample of 10.69.3 from Chuck in a few weeks. There's an element of luck here, and I'll feel much better about winning my beer if we see it struggle later. The timing of traffic in this test ended up not being too challenging for FSD. It's when there is significant traffic in BOTH directions that we should expect it to be tougher (because that makes it slower to cross the first three lanes).

To be clear, this is really quite an accomplishment - I think this demonstrates that it's possible that with some tuning, they can perform these sorts of maneuvers at a very high safety level. They just have to keep working on the fundamental capabilities (maneuver speed, velocity estimation, understanding of occlusions, localization, communication to driver, etc.). There was all sorts of talk about how the cameras needed to change position, they didn't have enough range, the maneuver was too difficult, etc. All appears to have been nonsense for this turn (though we need a MUCH larger sample size before we can conclude that for sure, specifically for the range).

Last edited:

Before getting too excited check out Chuck's Memorial Park Drive on 69.2.2 where at the last intersection it failed a UPL just as Chuck was saying how well FSD drove. Still nice to see.

Before getting too excited check out Chuck's Memorial Park Drive on 69.2.2 where at the last intersection it failed a UPL just as Chuck was saying how well FSD drove. Still nice to see.
Wow, I should have watched until the end! Per the terms, that counts too. So 1/2 on that drive. So I could even spot @Daniel in SD the turn with the 7.6 second gap and I still win. 88% (82%)

That was pretty bad. Though not sure what the other driver was doing - probably he didn't like the wheels, so really can't blame the driver for giving the right of way - the right decision. Shows the importance of FSD Beta not turning the wheels - good human drivers really look at those things. And soon FSD will too, hopefully. Don't turn the wheels until the commit...as we all know, that's something we never do. You can creep forward as much as you want, but can't turn the wheels.

Not sure why Chuck didn't immediately disengage as soon as the wheels turned. So risky. Always be disengaging!

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Daniel in SD
First drive on 10.69.2.2. Only a single disengagement and no accelerator usage. Not too shabby for a nighttime first drive. I wasn't trying to stress it too much since it was my first ride.

The one disengagement was an occluded UPL that was a total failure. Beta waited for one car to pass, then tried to go for it with another car fairly close. It would have made it and been a hero had it not stopped in the left crossing lane, which was where the approaching car was! So, instead of hero, it was the goat.

A couple other notable warts: Beta did OK going straight through four of five unmapped mini roundabouts on one of my neighborhood streets. A little rough on a couple, but got through them. Then, it decided not to play nice and just drove straight across the fifth one. No harm done. They have nice sloping curbs on the island and are more like a speed bump. It's how large trucks have to deal with them. But beta should learn how to do them correctly.

Beta had a right turn onto a frontage road with three lanes and needed to get into the left lane quickly to enter a tollway. It made it, barely, which was better than 10.69.2, which stopped on the frontage road to think about things. It'll have to due better, and do it more than once in a row.

Yikes. I received the new release and the lane guidance as to which lane it should join in order to navigate to the next turn is WAY off of the mark. The car stayed in the middle lane after a UPL when it should have moved to the right lane in order to turn right. Instead it came to the stop sign, never making a shift to the right lane and the wheel started to jerk all over the place and it just gave up driving and returned control to me. I drove back to the house and it did the same thing, failing to be in the correct lane At the final turn, staying in the middle lane until the last second and cutting across the right lane, inappropriately I might add, to turn into my neighborhood. So my brief testing has concluded while the steering is much smoother, without proper lane guidance and without safely crossing lanes, this is an utter failure. My disappointment is tremendous and I will once again hope for a fix in the next or next or next release. My wife commented it is going backwards in major areas to fix minor issues.

Yikes. I received the new release and the lane guidance as to which lane it should join in order to navigate to the next turn is WAY off of the mark. The car stayed in the middle lane after a UPL when it should have moved to the right lane in order to turn right. Instead it came to the stop sign, never making a shift to the right lane and the wheel started to jerk all over the place and it just gave up driving and returned control to me. I drove back to the house and it did the same thing, failing to be in the correct lane At the final turn, staying in the middle lane until the last second and cutting across the right lane, inappropriately I might add, to turn into my neighborhood. So my brief testing has concluded while the steering is much smoother, without proper lane guidance and without safely crossing lanes, this is an utter failure. My disappointment is tremendous and I will once again hope for a fix in the next or next or next release. My wife commented it is going backwards in major areas to fix minor issues.

Yes! Exactly what I noticed. Strange regression in lane making decisions 69.2.2

Here is the original email from 10/12/21... and yes it says "thank" instead of thanks!

Hello Shill, We mean @Ramphex

We will be pushing FSD Beta Version 10.2 to your vehicle shortly!

Full Self-Driving is in limited early access Beta and must be used with additional caution. It may do the wrong thing at the worst time, so you must always keep your hands on the wheel and pay extra attention to the road. Do not become complacent. When Full Self-Driving Beta is enabled, your vehicle will make lane changes off highway, select forks to follow your navigation route, navigate around other vehicles and objects, and make left and right turns. Use Full Self-Driving Beta only if you will pay constant attention to the road, and be prepared to act immediately, especially around blind corners, crossing intersections, and in narrow driving situations. Every driver is responsible for remaining alert and active when using Autopilot and must be prepared to take action at any time.

As part of receiving FSD Beta, your vehicle has automatically opted into VIN associated telemetry sharing with Tesla, including Autopilot usage data, images and/or video. If you wish to be removed from the limited early access FSD Beta please email [email protected]

Your vehicle is running on Tesla Vision! Note that Tesla Vision also includes some temporary limitations, as noted below:

Follow distance is limited to 2-7.
Autopilot top speed is 80 mph.
How to provide feedback:

Press the "Video Record" button on the top bar UI to send an Autopilot Snapshot video clip.
Clips are automatically sent to the engineering team. You will not be able to view the clip.
You can email your feedback to [email protected].
In your email please include date, time, location, and if you took an Autopilot Snapshot. This helps us investigate issues, and better understand your feedback.

Thank,

The Tesla Team

Edit: Added the @Ramphex , it originally said @AlanSubie4Life
1663646101282.png

Couple short drives on 10.69.2.2 mostly on roads I haven’t driven on in a while:
* generally the same issues with (the lack of) assertiveness at 4-way stops, crawling through intersections, trying to stop in the wrong place (eg at the other side of the intersection if I nudge it through), random hesitations or slowdowns especially passing pedestrians moving in any direction or standing still
* one of the stop signs, there was a car in front, but after the car went, FSDb went directly into “creeping for visibility” mode without stopping at the stop sign and completely ignoring the other cars waiting for their turn. I took over
* phantom “changing lanes away from obstruction”; the nearest “obstruction” was a school bus almost literally a block away and moving at the same speed
* I guess an answer to the question of “what if the car sees a flying white plastic bag?” - apparently, it will swerve. no other explanation as the lane was otherwise well-marked. The beta tried to swerve left a couple times so I took over. Presumably the bag was getting flagged by the occupancy network, but we were crossing an intersection (bag was just past the other side of the intersection) so I did not see what the screen was showing.

Couple short drives on 10.69.2.2 mostly on roads I haven’t driven on in a while:
* generally the same issues with (the lack of) assertiveness at 4-way stops, crawling through intersections, trying to stop in the wrong place (eg at the other side of the intersection if I nudge it through), random hesitations or slowdowns especially passing pedestrians moving in any direction or standing still
* one of the stop signs, there was a car in front, but after the car went, FSDb went directly into “creeping for visibility” mode without stopping at the stop sign and completely ignoring the other cars waiting for their turn. I took over
* phantom “changing lanes away from obstruction”; the nearest “obstruction” was a school bus almost literally a block away and moving at the same speed
* I guess an answer to the question of “what if the car sees a flying white plastic bag?” - apparently, it will swerve. no other explanation as the lane was otherwise well-marked. The beta tried to swerve left a couple times so I took over. Presumably the bag was getting flagged by the occupancy network, but we were crossing an intersection (bag was just past the other side of the intersection) so I did not see what the screen was showing.
Thanks for the report. The last updates have not been compelling to even step out to test.

Just another data point, and without going into details I’ll just say that for the first time I’m starting to get impressed with FSDb after getting 10.69.2.2. And trust me, I’ve been pretty displeased with FSDb… especially with the lack of initiative and jerky lane confusions before making turns near where I live (lots of bike lanes that screw it up). And, this hasn’t improved much in the past 9 months, but it feels like for the first time it’s improving in so many areas it fails in or where I need to hit the accelerator. And this is in a busy urban setting in West Los Angeles, where part of my disengagements or accelerator-assists are just to keep from getting honked at. Maybe I just had a couple lucky drives so far, I’m sure I’ll be angrily stomping on the accelerator to get it commit to some turn in the coming days!

Just completed my first drive on 10.69.2.2. I didn't find it noticeably different from 10.69.1. I had two disengagements in about three miles of city-streets driving, both related to lane selection.

First, waiting in line in the rightmost of two left-turn lanes to make a left turn, the car seemed to decide that the car in front of me was stopped in a moving lane (it wasn't), and tried to swerve around it on the right (illegal), which was a straight-only lane. Had to quickly disengage to stay in the left-turn lane.

A while later, a left turn onto a different multi-lane street (4 in my direction), followed by an immediate right. The car incorrectly chose the leftmost of two left-turn lanes, when it should clearly have chosen the rightmost one. Then to compound the error, it turned into the leftmost of two left-turn-only lanes in the following street (when it had the discretion to choose either one), then slowed to a stop, and then tried to slowly and illegally merge across three lanes of traffic to the correct right-turn lane in the span of about 30 feet. This incurred enough honking that I had to disengage and take over.

As a software developer with considerable ML experience, it's so odd to me that these are the kinds of mistakes it's making. Lane selection in left-then-right (or right-then-left) scenarios should be very straightforward to get right, especially when all the lanes are clearly marked, as was the case here.

I've also noticed that the car continues to wobble whenever approaching a lane split on the highway. This too seems like it could be solved with a simple heuristic: if the lane suddenly widens, hug the lane toward the midpoint of the highway. Of course, this is AP behavior, not FSD; will be interesting to see if the v11 FSD full stack makes any progress on this.

Last edited:
Looks like TeslaFi has one vehicle that was on 2022.20.8 newly added to FSD Beta with 10.69.2.2. It most recently got the previous software update in August, so it wasn't a lapsed user that might have been added back in June.

teslafi 2022.20.8 to fsd beta.png

Pending installs seemed to have bumped up just now to 1,280 for a total on/pending this version: 3,604 -- that's higher than the previous FSD Beta population on TeslaFi of ~3400! Edit: and climbing up to 1,372 1,435 pending!

TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker 2022.20.17 75d4b79ed Full Self Driving Beta Version 10.69.2.2