Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.69

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure there is... your phone.

Right but that is prohibited in any case!

FWIW this is not supported by my own testing. (On a closed course in Mexico of course)-- it can certainly tell if you're looking down at something for a prolonged period (like a phone) but haven't seen any evidence it has any idea where your hands are since it can't see them even when they're on the wheel... (and if it's dim/dark, or you have dark sunglasses, it can't see your eyes either since it's the wrong type of camera to be able to).

If I look at the camera output it seems clear enough over time. At any particular instant no, but that doesn’t matter of course.
I am not saying they can do it, just that I can tell. Lots of neural nets.

Basically impossible to trick me. Maybe in a very poorly lit environment without IR illumination it would be hard. But these are cases where they can just require torque from time to time, who cares?

Last edited:
Hokay. Finally got out of the house today and took a combination test drive and run for dinner with 2022.44.30.5.
  1. Made it all the way from home to work (yeah, it's closed). I had to goose the car twice when it was overly slow going around corners; otherwise, did not take control of the car. Yeah, it's a Sunday and the first of the year, but there was medium traffic out, so that was pretty darn good!
  2. On this drive, I aimed the car at this one road that has been giving FSDb serious trouble. The road goes from one lane to three; left lane is left turn, center lane is straight ahead, right lane is straight ahead and right. The problem: The road goes wide just as one is going rapidly uphill; after the brow of the hill, the painted street markers show up. Correct lane is the center one. On 9 out of 10 runs, the car will swerve far left, then get stuck there. On this run, the car moved to the left a bit too far, but, as it came over the hill, smoothly moved back into the center lane. That was new and different.
  3. On the uphill, there's a spot where there's some construction going. The road goes from one lane on the left to two lanes; then the right lane gets blocked with Jersey Barriers and such. On previous runs, more than half the time the car dives into the right lane, then freezes when it sees the Jersey Barriers. This time around: jittered a little, but stayed in the left lane where it belonged. Then smoothly moved into the right lane past the construction, no problems.
  4. At this point, made the dinner run, some 25 miles on an interstate. The interstate was navigated just fine. At the exit, smoothly came to a halt in the correct lane at the bottom of the hill. When the light went green, followed the crowd around to the left, smoothly, then smoothly moved out of the left lane into the right, since the left lane was swiftly becoming a left turn only lane. At the next intersection, hung a left at the light without a problem. Actually navigated up to the restaurant and stopped in front, not bad.
  5. Return trip was interstates all the way. They were fine. Getting off the interstate, the car chose the wrong lane and wouldn't get onto the exit lane, and so had to intervene. This is something that might get fixed on 11.x; the highway NoA has problems in certain places.
  6. Oddball comment. Back in November, this car got driven from NJ down to FL for a vacation, bombed around in FL for a while, then came back. No question, was getting nags about keeping one's eyes on the road and keeping torque on the wheel all the blame time. On this 60-odd mile road trip.. I didn't get a single nag. Maybe I'm getting good at it; but I suspect something in the algorithm has changed, for the better.
Still: A total of two interventions and two goosing the gas pedal in 60 miles in congested NJ. Frankly, best I've seen so far.

11.X is going to be interesting.

who cares about hands off - there’s literally nowhere for your hands but the wheel anyway!)
Fi8wakm.jpg

Try a scroll wheel reboot. After I updated to 2022.44.30.5, I also had the button saying "you're in the queue". I then did a reboot, and now I have the FSD Beta on/off switch (off by default). I have never applied for the FSD Beta. It seems the state of the system just isn't displayed properly in the UI without the reboot.
Thank you. That worked. I need to keep remembering to that if something is not correct. Treat it like a computer. 🙂

I don't see much change in unmarked roads or distance from parked cars in 69.25 compared to 69.3. But I think you are talking about narrow streets with a center line ... parked cars on the sides ? We don't have much of that in Eastern suburbs I drive most.

In unmarked roads winding roads, FSD will turn less than needed and thus go on the wrong side of the road, but corrects if a car comes from opposite direction. Not unsafe but weird looking behavior.
Does it stay in its lane on marked, winding roads? And on marked, winding, hilly roads? I just got .25.1 after 4 months without FSDb (new car) and I remember FSDb being terrible on that type of road in 12.3.20. Overall 25.x does seem to be much better than 12.3.20 in the few miles I have used it (<100 miles, good rural secondary roads)

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Does it stay in its lane on marked, winding roads? And on marked, winding, hilly roads? I just got .25.1 after 4 months without FSDb (new car) and I remember FSDb being terrible on that type of road in 12.3.20. Overall 25.x does seem to be much better than 12.3.20 in the few miles I have used it (<100 miles, good rural secondary roads)
Yes, that's one area where recent updates have shown a nice improvement. It still takes the curves too slowly in most cases, but the lane keeping is infinitely better. My biggest issue with hilly roads now is phantom braking was reintroduced at cresting hills. If it can't clearly see what's coming next, it abruptly slams the brakes almost every time.

General thought. We’ve seen that over time, with updates and bloat, computers get slower over time. In the case of MCU1 and NOA/AP/FSD, it often resulted in late announced navigation directions and other lag.

As time moves on and existing computers in teslas age, how will that affect FSD performance.

Reactions: Misterbee
Try a scroll wheel reboot. After I updated to 2022.44.30.5, I also had the button saying "you're in the queue". I then did a reboot, and now I have the FSD Beta on/off switch (off by default). I have never applied for the FSD Beta. It seems the state of the system just isn't displayed properly in the UI without the reboot.
Thank you, Tried that, but no luck. I guess I must complete 100 AP miles *after* getting in the queue to be enrolled in FSDBeta.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
For what it's worth from a YouTube influencer (Dirty Tesla)

Lol. I should hope it is working! It’s nearly exactly the same as 10.69! Just a few differences, iterative development, etc. , as briefly described elsewhere.

I don’t understand why Tesla employees and influencers have such low standards.

I guess if they just worked on background active safety features and ensuring the car never crashed rather than silly “convenience” features, I’d be less annoyed at the timeline and the continued false promises about schedule. Or they could just say it will be ready in 2025 and everyone would be happy.

I am starting to wonder if Tesla is focusing on resolving issues for the small elite group of super testers as I keep seeing posts of trips without interventions. I am certainly not seeing that. On yesterdays drive traveling straight on a two lane well marked road I reached an area where there was a short added right lane for vehicles entering and leaving the road from the intersectimg road on the right. The car turned on the directional signal for a right turn, moved into the turn lane and slowed. The vehicle entering from the road on the right started to turn right. The Tesla did not turn but went straight causing the other vehicle to make a hard stop. The Tesla then moved over out of the turn lane back onto the travel lane cutting off the car behind me that assumed I was turning. Technically the Tesla avoided an accident, but almost caused two. I do not understand how the car can do some difficult maneuvers well, but can not handle this one.

as I keep seeing posts of trips without interventions.
These don't happen, unless you allow the car to behave in a way a good human driver would not.

Note that you performed the maneuvers you describe above - not the car. The vehicle has physical control, but you're the one in charge of the drive.

Sounds pretty hazardous. Be sure to drive as you always would, don't allow any deviation, including camping in blind spots, getting too close to vehicles in adjacent lanes, not repositioning in lanes due to other vehicle behavior, etc. Always be disengaging.

Last edited:
I'm surprised it's that low for you. I'd say in my area it's closer to 75% coverage. I've only noticed the lane display not coming up on smaller 2-3 lane intersections.
Did you also navigate to somewhere behind you? For regular routes, the turn lane display shows up more as navigation typically takes the "main" roads that are more likely to have better map data. But some people will still need to make turns at the smaller intersections too.

I tried again last night (too much snow to safely turn on FSD Beta anyway), and 8 of 19 intersections on a 2-way multilane road had turn lane display, so a little bit higher than my previous test's 35% but still only around 40%. Similar to what you noticed, a surprising amount of the correct display showed U-turns as well.

At least around here, there's a lot of two-way center turn lanes that turn into a dedicated left turn just before the traffic light, and FSD Beta 10.69.x has gotten confused about getting into the suicide lane too early for a left turn or believing the parking lane is the right-most lane for the upcoming right turn. Now with the turn display showing left | through | through;right, it makes some sense why FSD Beta gets confused.

Did you also navigate to somewhere behind you? For regular routes, the turn lane display shows up more as navigation typically takes the "main" roads that are more likely to have better map data. But some people will still need to make turns at the smaller intersections too.

I tried again last night (too much snow to safely turn on FSD Beta anyway), and 8 of 19 intersections on a 2-way multilane road had turn lane display, so a little bit higher than my previous test's 35% but still only around 40%. Similar to what you noticed, a surprising amount of the correct display showed U-turns as well.

At least around here, there's a lot of two-way center turn lanes that turn into a dedicated left turn just before the traffic light, and FSD Beta 10.69.x has gotten confused about getting into the suicide lane too early for a left turn or believing the parking lane is the right-most lane for the upcoming right turn. Now with the turn display showing left | through | through;right, it makes some sense why FSD Beta gets confused.
As to the center turn lane (suicide lanes) that are on some roads, I learned the hard way (ticket), that at least in Tennessee, they are to be used for only a short distance (one or two car lengths) to make a left turn. So I can and do understand that there are times (rush hour) when traffic is backed up and cars begin to get into the center lane leading to a designated left turn lane in violation of traffic rules but failure to do so would cause even greater traffic problems. Only if the autopilot can be programed to ignore traffic laws in certain circumstances will the autopilot succeed in these unusual circumstances. There is also a possibility that a car doing this will get a ticket and I'm sure this policy would not get government approval, as was the case with rolling stops.

Lol. I should hope it is working! It’s nearly exactly the same as 10.69! Just a few differences, iterative development, etc. , as briefly described elsewhere.

I don’t understand why Tesla employees and influencers have such low standards.

I guess if they just worked on background active safety features and ensuring the car never crashed rather than silly “convenience” features, I’d be less annoyed at the timeline and the continued false promises about schedule. Or they could just say it will be ready in 2025 and everyone would be happy.
How do you know it's nearly exactly the same as 10.69?
V11 has the chance to make improvements on the highway that would be more meaningful than the improvements we've seen on city/streets.

I don’t for sure, of course. However there have been discussions and statements about the new networks I thought. I don’t have time to look them up but overall doesn’t seem that different. As expected it will certainly be an incremental update, not a full rewrite! Of course for highways it would be an immediate big change but that’s not what I was referring to. And even there it’s likely an incremental change from FSD Beta.

I mostly just took issue with the “nice to hear” that “V11 is working well.” I should hope so, and what does that even mean?

Those people in the Bay Area and elsewhere in California, be sure not to use 10.69 during the large amounts of rain predicted this week and next. Don’t want to screw up the stats or cause any issues with future rollout! It’s a nailbiter.

I am starting to wonder if Tesla is focusing on resolving issues for the small elite group of super testers as I keep seeing posts of trips without interventions. I am certainly not seeing that.

These don't happen, unless you allow the car to behave in a way a good human driver would not.
This guy does some great videos and keeps it real. Has one of the best video overlay perspectives I've seen too.

Tesla FSD is NOT in a Good Place… -- AI DRIVR

V11 has the chance to make improvements on the highway that would be more meaningful than the improvements we've seen on city/streets.

Yep. For what it's worth, regarding V11 Elon said in a recent interview the team had to build larger NNs as several old NNs had reached their useful limit (level of incompetence).

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life