Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Optimus is actually a latin adjective, so the ending will follow what word its describing (bot). Unfortunately, "bot" or "robot" were not concepts that existed during the time Latin was still a living language. However the Greeks at the time wrote about "self-acting, autonomous, mechanical beings" and the word they chose for that was automatos (singular) and automata (plural). That word eventually made it into the Latin vocabulary as "automatum" which by its ending implies a neuter gender (appropriate!).

So with that, the best way to translate "multiple optimus bots" into plural latin form would be "automata optima," which translates to "the best bots." Google Translate however thinks "the best puppets" is the best translation.

The word "robot" was invented in a Czech novel, and when translated to English, the word robota came about, defined as "forced labor." If you assume robota is a feminine Latin noun, then using the optimus adjective with it in plural would be "robotae optimae." But since Musk is already using the masculine form of optimus, we can assume he considers "bot" or "robot" masculine. After all, Optimus Prime was clearly a masculine Autobot. Then going back to the derived greek term and forcing a male gender, the proper plural use would be "automati optimi."

Or you can just say "Optimus bots" to not be weird.

I also nominate myself for most off-topic post in the thread.
WINNER 🏆

Front or rear, which side? I’ve had a P zero peel off the sidewall like that WAY prematurely, but not the SS.

How often do you check your tires, and I don’t just mean PSI
Rear driver side. Not often, but often enough that it did not blow out, or go fully flat while driving. Believe it or not but that bad girl still held air.
How much mileage did you end up getting? (Sorry, sidetrack)
28,000 and no worries at all about the sidetrack 😉

Anybody have ideas of what legacy neural networks would still need to be replaced? Presumably the main ones used for primary driving functionality have been already covered by 11.3's single stack, so perhaps secondary Autopilot functionality such as Autopark / Summon / Smart Summon related that would only be conditionally activated when using those features?
Smart summon especially, but autopark too, has been broken for so long that I almost feel like a clown talking about these features but here I go again. While autopark was restored for me in 11.3.3, it still does the thing I hate. Grinds my tires like it's trying to salt the road with my tire rubber. Does anyone else feel like power steering is more loose feeling after using autopark? Seriously feels like I'm breaking my car when I try autopark.

Smart summon is a gimmick feature which I'd love to actually work. I'm not brave enough to test it after the two near accidents it caused when I tested it in a mostly empty parking lot two years ago. I would need lots of testimonies, and a overhaul to ever try again. But what I would like is reverse summon. That's where you enter a parking lot and tell the car to find its own parking space (hopefully while im still in the driver seat). I remember it being talked about somewhere but I can't remember if it was verified or an official thing.

With how nicely v11 performs, it feels like we are close to getting some kind of summon and autopark overhaul but I don't want to get my hopes up too much.

Smart summon especially, but autopark too, has been broken for so long that I almost feel like a clown talking about these features but here I go again. While autopark was restored for me in 11.3.3, it still does the thing I hate. Grinds my tires like it's trying to salt the road with my tire rubber. Does anyone else feel like power steering is more loose feeling after using autopark? Seriously feels like I'm breaking my car when I try autopark.

Smart summon is a gimmick feature which I'd love to actually work. I'm not brave enough to test it after the two near accidents it caused when I tested it in a mostly empty parking lot two years ago. I would need lots of testimonies, and a overhaul to ever try again. But what I would like is reverse summon. That's where you enter a parking lot and tell the car to find its own parking space (hopefully while im still in the driver seat). I remember it being talked about somewhere but I can't remember if it was verified or an official thing.

With how nicely v11 performs, it feels like we are close to getting some kind of summon and autopark overhaul but I don't want to get my hopes up too much.
Right. Definitely do not get your hopes up. These broken parlor tricks will likely remain broken for longer than you own the car. Recall, the Charlatan, even mocks Smart Summon by saying it will, someday, turn into A.S.S. (“Actually Smart Summon”). Rather than fix it, he mocks it (rather, mocks Tesla customers for being so gullible). That speaks volumes…

It still has decent amount of life…. Just not on the inside 😅😅

View attachment 923071
Congratulations on getting that much mileage.
I had 4 passenger rear nails over a 6 month period.
Had to replace same tire 4 times. Couldn't be patched.
Then at 22k driver rear looked exactly like yours.
So replaced that and 2 fronts. So 7 tires for me in 22k miles.
Those tires are not cheap or easy to find. (The fronts are much easier, the rears are a bitch)
You know when tirerack says they can't find them for months, it's an issue.

Congratulations on getting that much mileage.
I had 4 passenger rear nails over a 6 month period.
Had to replace same tire 4 times. Couldn't be patched.
Then at 22k driver rear looked exactly like yours.
So replaced that and 2 fronts. So 7 tires for me in 22k miles.
Those tires are not cheap or easy to find. (The fronts are much easier, the rears are a bitch)
You know when tirerack says they can't find them for months, it's an issue.
I was able to get 2 rears from Tesla for less than what any other shop quoted me in the area. Tesla also came to the house and replaced them the next day so I didn’t have to drive on a wonder tire.

Interesting info. from @greentheonly
"This last part is interesting, because it tells the car in great detail map corrections like "there's a stop sign here", "crosswalk there" with great accuracy. Also other useful information like lane info, directions of travel and whatnot. And speed (to show you yellow/red path)"

[Musings]Defenatly looking like 11.3.3 is at least paused and probably stopped. But why? I understand that it may need more fine tuning, but doesn't EVERY version of Beta released so far. Don't see how it is good enough for a fully ⅓ of Beta drivers but not good enough for the other ⅔. It not like there is a 10.3 deal breaker and over all seems a competent and decent update.

I say rollout 11.3.3 to everyone and keep working on 11.3.4 to be released soon if needed. Makes no sense to to do such a large percentage rollout and THEN decide to stop it.

[Musings]Defenatly looking like 11.3.3 is at least paused and probably stopped. But why? I understand that it may need more fine tuning, but doesn't EVERY version of Beta released so far. Don't see how it is good enough for a fully ⅓ of Beta drivers but not good enough for the other ⅔. It not like there is a 10.3 deal breaker and over all seems a competent and decent update.

I say rollout 11.3.3 to everyone and keep working on 11.3.4 to be released soon if needed. Makes no sense to to do such a large percentage rollout and THEN decide to stop it.
Seems like Telsa has very little confidence in their own develop-test-release software lifecycle process. Nothing else would explain this botched, multiple times, not wide rollout after nearly a year of v11 in house testing and promises of it coming soon, by the Charlatan, for more than a year. A joke, really - if you’re able to step back and evaluate the facts, objectively. Many can’t, I understand…

Last edited:
Did you people fall and hit your head on something? There is a pretty big recall going on and NHTSA is crawling up Tesla's ass on this one.

Give em time to work out issues while under a magnifying glass and release an update that solves the recall. Summon your strength and have some adult patience. It'll come to your car when it's ready.

Did you people fall and hit your head on something? There is a pretty big recall going on and NHTSA is crawling up Tesla's ass on this one....
The NHTSA FSD Beta recall is covered in the 11.3.x update. Oddly the NHTSA window auto rollup recall (which was issued before) is NOT covered. NHTSA states what they want done but NOT how to do it. It is up to Tesla on how to implement the recall and they have done that since NHTSA had also stipulated no more Beta updates until the recall was implemented. You can't send out to ⅓ of the fleet and say the NHTSA recall is ready for them but not the other ⅔.

Seems like Telsa has very little confidence in their own develop-test-release software lifecycle process. Nothing else would explain this botched, multiple times, wide rollout after nearly a year of v11 in house testing and promises of it coming soon, by the Charlatan, for more than a year. A joke, really - if you’re able to step back and evaluate the facts, objectively. Many can’t, I understand…
It does seem odd based on my experience with V11.3.3.
Today I did a 75 mile highway drive and it was pretty close to perfect. The only intervention I had to do was manually move the car out of the high speed lane. Everything else FSD did on the highway was extremely smooth. A significant improvement over any previous build. Frankly I couldn't find anythng to improve.

Interesting info. from @greentheonly
"This last part is interesting, because it tells the car in great detail map corrections like "there's a stop sign here", "crosswalk there" with great accuracy. Also other useful information like lane info, directions of travel and whatnot. And speed (to show you yellow/red path)"

Great post, I strongly recommend reading this entire twitter thread.
It answers a lot of questions we have been discussing over a year

Did you people fall and hit your head on something? There is a pretty big recall going on and NHTSA is crawling up Tesla's ass on this one.

Give em time to work out issues while under a magnifying glass and release an update that solves the recall. Summon your strength and have some adult patience. It'll come to your car when it's ready.

“A picture says a thousand words,” although this one also contains words…. 🤣

6B050B34-A020-4C6C-991D-32EEAED395B5.png

Today I did a 75 mile highway drive and it was pretty close to perfect. The only intervention I had to do was manually move the car out of the high speed lane. Everything else FSD did on the highway was extremely smooth. A significant improvement over any previous build. Frankly I couldn't find anythng to improve.
The wonders of having data from everyone.

I am sure there are lots of problems.

You’d think one priority for them would be making sure to deliver anything to customers by tomorrow that has not already been recognized as revenue. Not sure what that would be at this point though, since we aren’t sure exactly how their revenue recognition for this stuff is handled by the bean counters (plus there is the USS-less stuff for people which is kind of unrelated but may affect timing somehow).

Personally I am still waiting for the reverse Smart Summon I was promised. I imagine there is significant revenue for that that is not recognized yet. But probably not going to get that tomorrow!

Reactions: FSDtester#1

FWIW the legacy highway NoA was about the same amount of close to perfect as the new V11 one so far for me.

Works fine generally.

Is kinda garbage in merge situations since it waits to last possible second.... even for things like a double-on-ramp where there's arrows showing one lane is ending, nobody is in the other lane, and the car still waits till the lane going away narrows/ends to get out of it.

So I mean I'm glad it wasn't any worse given the major change of code... but haven't seen any evidence of it being better either.

(arguably going from 6 specific distance settings to only 3 vague ones is worse I guess?)