Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Brother... I would be shocked if you didn't get it in the next 24 hours
Hoping but just hit the p key one too many times and all you are just hopping.🐇🤔🤣 Do have a trip from ATL to Savannah Thursday. So "need" it by then or I my not be able to make the drive.😢 🥴

I have smashed my Tesla App "button" so many times on my iPhone the "button" is starting to stick and needs oiling.🛢️

Just a warning, if you're experiencing major problems with 10.69.25, V11 isn't going to solve your issues. I look forward to your experience once you get it.
I hate to say this because I REALLY wanted v11 to be a major improvement, but I’m starting to miss v10 a little. I’m ok with some minor inconveniences but some of the areas of regression seem to be more critical(potential accident causing) events.

A few areas of concern for me:

- my car is more aggressive on how it behaves with yellow lights. I posted a video of this in an earlier post. It’s borderline running the red light in my opinion. It’s happened twice in 2 days.

- my car is missing more turns. It seems to think it has all the time in the world to get in to the correct lane for turning and by the time it tries to act it’s too late. Not only do I miss my turn but it freaks out alittle bit after almost like it doesn’t know what to do. I have to immediately take control to avoid an issue and go another route. This happened with v10 but not as often. There are hints of better performance when v11 does prepare for turns but when it fails, it fails hard and feels unpredictable.

- I’m having issues with speed limit. I’m not sure what it is yet and have to test further. But a few times now the car was going too fast on a particular street. Usually single lane city streets that might be unmarked. Last evening I was driving to dinner with my wife and friends and I turned on to a city street heavily populated by people walking with cars parked all along both sides. The car insisted on going 40mph when clearly 20-25 was more appropriate.I have to immediately disengage to bring it back down to a more comfortable speed. I traveled this road on v10 and do not recall this type of behavior. I’m not sure if the speed limit was clearly marked so maybe that was a factor.

I will say highway driving does seem smoother with better lane changing than v10. But so far I’m a little disappointed in the the overall performance. It won’t stop me from using it as I feel this information is important to share with Tesla so they can improve. It’s definitely NOT the silver bullet!

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
I hate to say this because I REALLY wanted v11 to be a major improvement, but I’m starting to miss v10 a little. I’m ok with some minor inconveniences but some of the areas of regression seem to be more critical(potential accident causing) events.

A few areas of concern for me:

- my car is more aggressive on how it behaves with yellow lights. I posted a video of this in an earlier post. It’s borderline running the red light in my opinion. It’s happened twice in 2 days.

- my car is missing more turns. It seems to think it has all the time in the world to get in to the correct lane for turning and by the time it tries to act it’s too late. Not only do I miss my turn but it freaks out alittle bit after almost like it doesn’t know what to do. I have to immediately take control to avoid an issue and go another route. This happened with v10 but not as often. There are hints of better performance when v11 does prepare for turns but when it fails, it fails hard and feels unpredictable.

- I’m having issues with speed limit. I’m not sure what it is yet and have to test further. But a few times now the car was going too fast on a particular street. Usually single lane city streets that might be unmarked. Last evening I was driving to dinner with my wife and friends and I turned on to a city street heavily populate by people walking with cars parked all along both sides. The car insisted on going 40mph when clearly 20-25 was more appropriate.I have to immediately disengage to bring it back down to a more comfortable speed. I traveled this road on v10 and do not recall this type of behavior. I’m not sure if the speed limit was clearly marked so maybe that was a factor.

I will say highway driving does seem smoother with better lane changing than v10. But so far I’m a little disappointed in the the overall performance. It won’t stop me from using it as I feel this information is important to share with Tesla so they can improve. It’s definitely NOT the silver bullet!
Yeah, yellow lights and lane changing are problematic for me as well. So is wheel jerkiness and heavy friction brake use.

• Informative
Reactions: FSDtester#1
Yeah, yellow lights and lane changing are problematic for me as well. So is wheel jerkiness and heavy friction brake use.
braking does feel more abrupt. Twice last night when going to dinner when stopping at red lights my passengers reacted to the hard braking. Not great but I’ve been more tolerant of these types of things.

So here's my first drive on v11.3.4 impression.

Good:
1) Less steering yoke nags on major roads, same amount on residential.
2) Smart Summon is no longer broken, worked fine but only tried once.
3) New visualizer is nice.

Bad:
1) The spill your coffee / deep-throat your straw braking issue has not been resolved at all. (video below)
2) Pulls into and blocks the bike lane for no reason when turning right, someone else mentioned this. (pic below)
3) Adjusting speed limit by a fixed amount is grayed out, can only adjust by percentage.
4) On a two-lane road, it switched from left lane into the right lane (for no reason) with two cars there that had their right turn signal on, then braked hard to not rear end them.
5) More phantom braking incidents on same somewhat curvy roads than on 10.69.x. (no tree shadows)
6) More hesitations during driving, stopping, and turning.
7) Beta unrelated: Apple Music not playing music after getting out of the car and back in bug still exists. (pic below)
8) It only allowed me to do a couple of voice reports for disengagements during the drive, then no longer prompted me to do so.

Videos:
1) Dash & road view of unnecessary excessive braking. Used the community gate as it's a static object, and easier to recreate the issue multiple times to record different angles than playing with the camera in traffic. It starts slowing down as it normally should, then goes full retard.

2) Side view of the above video, what it feels like driving on beta for many releases now, mostly the reason I barely use it anymore.

Pics:
1) Car stopping and blocking the bike lane on a turn

IMG_0294.jpeg

2) Grayed out fixed amount in the Autopilot settings

IMG_0297.jpeg

3) Apple Music issue

IMG_0295.jpeg

Overall opinion, agreed with @jebinc it's still junk.

So here's my first drive on v11.3.4 impression.

Good:
1) Less steering yoke nags on major roads, same amount on residential.
2) Smart Summon is no longer broken, worked fine but only tried once.
3) New visualizer is nice.

Bad:
1) The spill your coffee / deep-throat your straw braking issue has not been resolved at all. (video below)
2) Pulls into and blocks the bike lane for no reason when turning right, someone else mentioned this. (pic below)
3) Adjusting speed limit by a fixed amount is grayed out, can only adjust by percentage.
4) On a two-lane road, it switched from left lane into the right lane (for no reason) with two cars there that had their right turn signal on, then braked hard to not rear end them.
5) More phantom braking incidents on same somewhat curvy roads than on 10.69.x. (no tree shadows)
6) More hesitations during driving, stopping, and turning.
7) Beta unrelated: Apple Music not playing music after getting out of the car and back in bug still exists. (pic below)
8) It only allowed me to do a couple of voice reports for disengagements during the drive, then no longer prompted me to do so.

Videos:
1) Dash & road view of unnecessary excessive braking. Used the community gate as it's a static object, and easier to recreate the issue multiple times to record different angles than playing with the camera in traffic. It starts slowing down as it normally should, then goes full retard.

2) Side view of the above video, what it feels like driving on beta for many releases now, mostly the reason I barely use it anymore.

Pics:
1) Car stopping and blocking the bike lane on a turn

View attachment 924275

2) Grayed out fixed amount in the Autopilot settings

View attachment 924276

3) Apple Music issue

View attachment 924274

Overall opinion, agreed with @jebinc it's still junk.
This is the required behavior in California. I almost had a rear-end accident on a 50mph street yesterday because the car did not do so.

braking does feel more abrupt. Twice last night when going to dinner when stopping at red lights my passengers reacted to the hard braking. Not great but I’ve been more tolerant of these types of things.
Same. The wife and others would object to the heavy and abrupt braking as it’s not natural. When alone, I just chalk it up as, “par for the FSDb course”…

Interesting observations... I am really starting to wonder how much map data has to do with some of these issues. I took 4 drives already and they have been almost perfect, except at a intersection where right on red is allowed, and I had to nudge the go pedal once. Nobody was behind me, so I just waited for about 30 seconds, no traffic was coming from the left. Not sure what it was waiting for. I will get a ton of miles, city and highway this week. Will post a review at the end of the week.
I would also like to point out that some of you who are new testers, haven't had the benefit of 18 months of using it since 10.2, which in my opinion makes it harder to say if the most recent update is good, bad, or similar. Early on, we were getting updates almost every 2 weeks for like 7 months. That made it harder to detect changes, but was fun to hypothesize our opinions of each update.
As time went on, I learned when I had to intervene or disengage. Early on, I did it constantly and didn't want to give the car the chance to get into a collision.
Now, since I have 20K plus beta miles, I can almost always sense when it may do the wrong thing. At the same time, with that experience, I now give the car more time to do what it wants. Hence, way less disengagements. Like an unprotected left or right turn. Cars are coming and you feel the car creeping and it feels like it's going to go when it shouldn't. Now, as usual, I just keep my foot on top of the brake, waiting to tap it. I have found multiple times that the car felt like it was going for it, and now realize, it wanted to, but ended up doing the right thing. However, that doesn't mean people coming towards you, aren't wondering what is this idiot doing, and may have to change their pants.

This is the quired behavior in California. I almost had a rear-end accident on a 50mph street yesterday because the car did not do so.
considering it's at a stop sign, it's not like someone else would go around the car on the left lol

Interesting observations... I am really starting to wonder how much map data has to do with some of these issues. I took 4 drives already and they have been almost perfect, except at a intersection where right on red is allowed, and I had to nudge the go pedal once. Nobody was behind me, so I just waited for about 30 seconds, no traffic was coming from the left. Not sure what it was waiting for. I will get a ton of miles, city and highway this week. Will post a review at the end of the week.
I would also like to point out that some of you who are new testers, haven't had the benefit of 18 months of using it since 10.2, which in my opinion makes it harder to say if the most recent update is good, bad, or similar. Early on, we were getting updates almost every 2 weeks for like 7 months. That made it harder to detect changes, but was fun to hypothesize our opinions of each update.
As time went on, I learned when I had to intervene or disengage. Early on, I did it constantly and didn't want to give the car the chance to get into a collision.
Now, since I have 20K plus beta miles, I can almost always sense when it may do the wrong thing. At the same time, with that experience, I now give the car more time to do what it wants. Hence, way less disengagements. Like an unprotected left or right turn. Cars are coming and you feel the car creeping and it feels like it's going to go when it shouldn't. Now, as usual, I just keep my foot on top of the brake, waiting to tap it. I have found multiple times that the car felt like it was going for it, and now realize, it wanted to, but ended up doing the right thing. However, that doesn't mean people coming towards you, aren't wondering what is this idiot doing, and may have to change their pants.
Looking forward to your drive reports this week. Yes, I find having to, “gas it” often as it sometimes is very tentative doing a turn. Adding a “little gas” pushes it through without disengagement.

Must be something with the Tesla's App in general. Mine did the same thing today every time I started to drive (f'en 10.69). I had to go into the App and select a Playlist or Station to REstart it.
Yea I've had to do that ever since they added Apple Music. I was hoping they would fix it in the new beta, but being that it's still on the 2022.x branch, it's still broken.

Good:
Turning into bike lanes. This capability is legal and good and very important, we’ll see if they can figure out when it is appropriate.

Improved but not fixed wavering when lane width increases on surface streets, which explains improved behavior on freeway - they have finally started to address this though certainly not fixed.

Seems like more potential with the FSD on freeway. Dealt with branching lanes better.

May have fixed lane selection on two-left turn scenario.

The quick switching between driving styles has potential if they can be made more configurable.

Lane changing choices on freeway seem ok, though more testing needed.

Bad:
Stopping is worse than previously. Some really bad jerking is back in standard expected scenarios. It wasn’t fixed before but seems worse now.

Going is bad. Too slow. Lots and lots of interventions for this. Get going, fast! Don’t be another 💩 Tesla driver! [EDIT: specifically speaking of stop lights and stop signs; “commits” may differ, no data.]

Rough lane changes on the freeway when they need to occur in quick succession (3 in 0.7mi). Definitely could be smoother.

Bad turning behavior, inside left turn lane, jerked out and then corrected.

Doesn’t signal entering freeway.

Doesn’t anticipate traffic stacking and quickly switch lanes to avoid. Interventions to pick correct lane and avoid braking.

Can’t cross bike lanes to enter turn lanes properly or in a timely fashion.

Generally way too uncertain when entering turn lanes. Decide and go.

Overall:

Not a significant improvement, but much potential. Incrementally better on freeway with lots of potential (need more time with it). Surface streets seem about the same with various small changes causing regressions and improvements.

Last edited:
Good:
Turning into bike lanes. This capability is legal and good and very important, we’ll see if they can figure out when it is appropriate.

Improved but not fixed wavering when lane width increases on surface streets, which explains improved behavior on freeway - they have finally started to address this though certainly not fixed.

Seems like more potential with the FSD on freeway. Dealt with branching lanes better.

The quick switching between driving styles has potential if they can be made more configurable.

Bad:
Stopping is worse than previously. Some really bad jerking is back in standard expected scenarios. It wasn’t fixed before but seems worse now.

Going is bad. Too slow. Lots and lots of interventions for this. Get going, fast! Don’t be another 💩 Tesla driver!

Rough lane changes on the freeway when they need to occur in quick succession (3 in 0.7mi). Definitely could be smoother.

Doesn’t anticipate traffic stacking and quickly switch lanes to avoid. Interventions to pick correct lane and avoid braking.

Overall:

Not a significant improvement, but much potential. Incrementally better on freeway with lots of potential (need more time with it). Surface streets seem about the same with various small changes causing regressions and improvements.
Great summary. My experience is similar.

Good:

Bad:

Going is bad. Too slow. Lots and lots of interventions for this. Get going, fast! Don’t be another 💩 Tesla driver!

Overall:

The one thing I noticed which is completely opposite to your drives, is when it commits now, it frigging takes off. Almost too fast. How can our cars be so different.. curious, as I trust your observations.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
The one thing I noticed which is completely opposite to your drives, is when it commits now, it frigging takes off. Almost too fast. How can our cars be so different.. curious, as I trust your observations.
Yep, one thing we can count on and that is very consistent - how inconsistent and unpredictable this FSDb software is; drive to drive and from driver to driver. Not a good thing…