Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
View attachment 927168

I am now on 11.3.6 and FSDb continues to put me in the wrong lane (as with previous version). When heading NW on lakeland hills, the plan is to turn Left on 69th. And instead of waiting for the correct left turn lane it always puts me in the opposing turn lane (oncoming). That lane has a hard yellow curb, so once you are in it is nearly impossible get out. Not sure if that is mapping data or just poor planning.
Inaccuracies in map data + gps - FSD will assume the new left lane it sees is the left turn lane. Happens often when there are multiple left/right turn lane splits close by. Happens to me in a couple of places consistently.

Wow. Is that configuration common where you live? In my region, it would definitely be marked as a shared left-hand-turn-lane for the entire section heading SE, and then turn into a dedicated left-hand-turn-lane for the NW drivers closer to the main intersection.
Yes - very common here.

1681230059659.png

Last edited:
Merging seems no worse than NOA, right ?

I think it is though?

With NoA when I got on the highway I could immediately tap the turn signal, because I knew otherwise it'd do that idiotic thing of riding the OBVIOUSLY GOING AWAY lane until literally the last second.... and it'd immediately change lanes.

The couple of times since getting 11 I've done the same instead it does this:
Turn on the blinker
Not actually change lanes at all and still ride the OBVIOUSLY GOING AWAY lane until the very last second
THEN change ANOTHER lane over and turn off the blinker.

That's worse.

I think it is though?

With NoA when I got on the highway I could immediately tap the turn signal, because I knew otherwise it'd do that idiotic thing of riding the OBVIOUSLY GOING AWAY lane until literally the last second.... and it'd immediately change lanes.

Turn on the blinker
Not actually change lanes at all and still ride the OBVIOUSLY GOING AWAY lane until the very last second

That's worse.
I've seen the same thing. Interestingly, it does not use the blinker when it merges, so perhaps it does not consider the merge a lane change. So, maybe it is treating your manual blinker as a request for a lane change after the merge, which is what it does.

My problem is that with the old AutoPilot on highways, I would usually manually blinker it to merge asap, and it became my habit. One of these time's I'll plan ahead and not manually blink to see how it does. In some cases I've tried to engage as I get on the ramp, but it fails to engage. Of course I'm accelerating, looking over my shoulder, so my eyes are pretty busy, and the beeping from failed engage is not too dissimilar to beeping when it does engage. Confusion ensues, not a good moment for confusion. What I mean to say is that the twitchy availability of FSD engagement makes evaluating the merge issues much harder.

I think it is though?

Turn on the blinker

That's worse.
I've had the same issue.

I think my manual blinking is adding to the confusion. But that was often how I merged on NoA, so I have to retrain myself on that to see FSD's own behavior. Haven't tried 11.3.6 yet, though.

I had a strange Interstate flunk yesterday. Coming south on I85 and needed to exit on the 17th, 14th, 10th Street exit. I was about 3 miles away and my car was working its way over to the left HOV lane even though I was getting close and traffic was building. It even said "changing lanes to follow route" every time (what is that about) it changed lans to the left. Got into the HOV lane about 1 mile from my exit. Decided at about the ½ mile mark it was time to start moving back over. It made 2 lane changes before blowing by the exit with 4 lanes still to go (I let it play knowing it had 0 chance). Terrible decision making.

How can we be saying 11 is better than NoA when 11 literally does not merge at all?? It sucks and is unusable for merging until they fix it. Merging (or lack of it) has always sucked in FSD beta. It just “rides it out” 😏🙁
I agree merging needs a lot of work but now that I expect FSD to use the whole lane to merge it often merges successfully. Still bad but not unusable and certainly a significant improvement over NoA for me.

I don't have enough miles on 11.x on freeways to say either way. In my limited testing I saw no difference. Yesterday I thought it merged quite nicely adjusting the speed (riding all the way, as is intended by high way design engineers).

So here's the thing with that.

When there's traffic in a zipper merge- sure- use the whole lane, as you say that's the point.

In 2 of the 3 post-11 times it was merging from an on-ramp that was going away, and there was no traffic in the right hand lane that doesn't vanish

So there's no reason at all to wait to merge over, and it's functionally worse NOT to because it gives other cars more time to get in the way of what is, right now, a 100% clean/clear merge opportunity.

The third time there was a car there--- just the one... and it didn't slow down to get behind him, where again there was about 763 miles of empty room-- and it didn't SEEM like it was gonna slow down before the lane ended either--- I was about 0.3 seconds from hitting the brake when the guy in the right lane moved over (since there was nobody in the left either) so now the car had space, barely, to merge before the lane ended. So I wasn't thrilled with that either.

UGH!… can someone message me when 11.3.7 is available?

On the surface this 11.3.6 is the worst build for me on surface town streets, situations. WAAY to0 cautious, spends 2-3 seconds at the stop sign AFTER full stop, nobody around. Comes to Stop sign stop ~ 10+ ft prior to Sign or Line.

Phantom braking in town and surface streets where there was NONE before.

FULL HARD STOP in the middle of the street before making a completely open turn onto another street, no stop sign, no cars, other than sadly the car BEHIND me who I’m in full agreement with had NO expectation that I/the car would de-celerate with a blinker on for a turn and then SLAM ON THE BRAKES HARD to complete stop.

Again, not another car around, coming, coming out of the street I was going to turn onto, nothing. Not even a BIRD!

In this state (and I don’t mean CA) this is totally useless.

I have about 120 miles of highway later today, let’s HOPE that AP/NOA isn’t further borked.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: JB47394 and kabin

On the surface this 11.3.6 is the worst build for me on surface town streets, situations. WAAY to cautious, spends 2-3 seconds at the stop sign AFTER full stop, nobody around. Phantom braking in town and surface streets where there was NONE before.

FULL HARD STOP in the middle of the street before making a completely open turn onto another street, no stop sign, no cars, other than sadly the car BEHIND me who I’m in full agreement with had NO expectation that I/the car would de-celerate with a blinker on for a turn and then SLAM ON THE BRAKES HARD to complete stop.

Again, not another car around, coming, coming out of the street I was going to turn onto, nothing. Not even a BIRD!

In this state (and I don’t mean CA) this is totally useless.

I have about 120 miles of highway later today, let’s HOPE that AP/NOA isn’t further borked.
Yea, I feel like that is the ironic truth; we want automation to be cautious and violate laws (seems kinda reasonable) but people aren't that way.

I recall a friend of mine that moved from the twin cities to boston, and I told her when she drives, ignore the speed limits and just drive at the speed everyone else is driving.

Reactions: ArchHamster
Yea, I feel like that is the ironic truth; we want automation to be cautious and violate laws (seems kinda reasonable) but people aren't that way.

I recall a friend of mine that moved from the twin cities to boston, and I told her when she drives, ignore the speed limits and just drive at the speed everyone else is driving.
Given the crazy delays one could only imagine the disruption a platoon of FSDb equipped vehicles could do. Heck even following 2 or 3 could drive someone into a fit of road rage.

Reactions: tivoboy
I got 11.3.6 yesterday but I still have the old map.
The navigation map showed the car would exit to a road further but the car tried to exit early to another road (a little bit closer but I did not want to have a 90 degree turn to a main street). I could not cancel the exit and I had to disengage.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: FSDtester#1
I just did a drive to the grocery store and by the time I got back I was ready to vent too. You've done a fine job of summarizing my reaction. I loved the "This is an intersection, so I'm not quite sure what I should be doing. creep Maybe check left first. creep No, no, I did that twice already. creep What about right, is anyone.... AND WE'RE GOING, VROOOOM!"

When there's nobody around, it has been doing fine. But the moment any other car even hints at being an obstruction, FSDb becomes Great Aunt Tilly, who last drove in 1944.

I just updated to 11.3.6 and noticed my charge curve is wonky, only getting 88 kW at 20% and 32 kW at 27% charge and up. It started at 250 kW like always and then dropped like a rock. I charged right before the update and it was normal.

I noticed on the way here it didn't appear to be preconditioning (no red notification), but no cold battery notification either (it's 80° F). I'm on a road trip, so it's already happened twice at completely empty 250 kW chargers.

Edit: I did the two button reset and the screen never came back on, but it's still charging and the HVAC works. Hopefully I can drive

Last edited: