Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
I've seen the same thing. Interestingly, it does not use the blinker when it merges, so perhaps it does not consider the merge a lane change. So, maybe it is treating your manual blinker as a request for a lane change after the merge, which is what it does.

My problem is that with the old AutoPilot on highways, I would usually manually blinker it to merge asap, and it became my habit. One of these time's I'll plan ahead and not manually blink to see how it does. In some cases I've tried to engage as I get on the ramp, but it fails to engage. Of course I'm accelerating, looking over my shoulder, so my eyes are pretty busy, and the beeping from failed engage is not too dissimilar to beeping when it does engage. Confusion ensues, not a good moment for confusion. What I mean to say is that the twitchy availability of FSD engagement makes evaluating the merge issues much harder.
Two tries today of merge lanes on 11.3.6. The same, I think as 11.3.4.

Both times I resisted the impulse to manually blink. Both cases were an on-ramp into a merge lane which continued to an off ramp. On the first one it did a nice merge, well done. On the second one it didn't try to merge at all staying in the merge lane and I had to disengage to make a sharp correction to merge out of the exit lane. In both cases the traffic was light, plenty of space to merge. And, yes, I voice-reported the second case.

I have not yet noticed any difference from 10.3.4.

Reactions: GSP
The UI should have 2 icons for blinking to tell the intention of the planner: 1 for changing lane and 1 for freeway exiting.
Also the blinker icon should be changed to clearly indicate it's for the left blinker or for the right blinker. I know we can discern by looking at its position on the screen but why the user has to try hard? Tesla needs good UX designers. Maybe they should shift the game development team to work on the UI.

UGH!… can someone message me when 11.3.7 is available?

On the surface this 11.3.6 is the worst build for me on surface town streets, situations. WAAY to0 cautious, spends 2-3 seconds at the stop sign AFTER full stop, nobody around. Comes to Stop sign stop ~ 10+ ft prior to Sign or Line.

Phantom braking in town and surface streets where there was NONE before.

FULL HARD STOP in the middle of the street before making a completely open turn onto another street, no stop sign, no cars, other than sadly the car BEHIND me who I’m in full agreement with had NO expectation that I/the car would de-celerate with a blinker on for a turn and then SLAM ON THE BRAKES HARD to complete stop.

Again, not another car around, coming, coming out of the street I was going to turn onto, nothing. Not even a BIRD!

In this state (and I don’t mean CA) this is totally useless.

I have about 120 miles of highway later today, let’s HOPE that AP/NOA isn’t further borked.

D7EA4A08-42D5-447F-9FD2-DA2F95C0EDD4.jpeg

tivoboy said:
UGH!… can someone message me when 11.3.7 is available?

I will do after I have 11.3.8 :)
Likely it's because map data tells ego where the intersection is, but it must detect and locate the other cars waiting at the light using vision. If the car is moving fast enough, then it doesn't see those cars until after the normal deceleration profile start point.
See above..regarding hard braking

11.3.6 is a disappointment coming from 11.3.

Agree 100%. It's no longer predictable on city streets. It was doing crazy things on the way to the ball game and back tonight. Weaving between lanes with no other vehicles around, cutting people off only to switch back into the original lane 30 seconds later, lots of second guessing in intersections, not sure if it was going to slow down for stopped cars ahead a couple times. I'll let you braver souls test this one, I'll sit out until the next release.

Agree 100%. It's no longer predictable on city streets. It was doing crazy things on the way to the ball game and back tonight. Weaving between lanes with no other vehicles around, cutting people off only to switch back into the original lane 30 seconds later, lots of second guessing in intersections, not sure if it was going to slow down for stopped cars ahead a couple times. I'll let you braver souls test this one, I'll sit out until the next release.
It would be interesting to know how many people are waiting for a safer release. Mine is turned off more than on for sure. I'm sure it doesn't help Tesla's data collection/network training efforts.

Reactions: SSDTester#1
I had an impressive failure today on 11.3.6. It stopped at a stop sign to make a right turn. This is the road that I take from my house daily to enter the main highway (55 mph). The car proclaimed "creeping for visibility", then luckily out the corner of my eye, I saw a car moving at the 55 mph to my left. Unfortunately, FSDb decided to make the turn anyway, which would have caused the other car to slam on the brakes. I disengaged before my car could make the turn.

Now all that isn't too exciting, except that the cross traffic vehicle was a county sheriff.

Going on 11 pm pst tonight, Thursday. 11.3.6 has just added one 1,000 more to the eligible list. The total is over 5,000 now, and is still climbing. So over 90% of the current TeslaFi FSD fleet is now eligible for 11.3.6 .

So this looks like a cleanup version which is OK for all FSD cars.

Maybe they can get back to fixing the glitches now that we all get to see the same problems. My top two are the flickering FSD engagability, and merging onto freeways. It is downright dangerous for engagement to be unreliable because it causes uncertainty over who is steering, FSD or the driver. V10 was far more reliable at engaging.

I just updated to 11.3.6 and noticed my charge curve is wonky, only getting 88 kW at 20% and 32 kW at 27% charge and up. It started at 250 kW like always and then dropped like a rock. I charged right before the update and it was normal.

I noticed on the way here it didn't appear to be preconditioning (no red notification), but no cold battery notification either (it's 80° F). I'm on a road trip, so it's already happened twice at completely empty 250 kW chargers.

Edit: I did the two button reset and the screen never came back on, but it's still charging and the HVAC works. Hopefully I can drive
I guess it's not the software, just an uncanny coincidence perhaps. I took it to the SC and they said there's a coolant issue...

I just got the notice for 11.3.6 but I’m going to skip it. I’ve never passed on an update before but this one, based on reports and videos, makes it dangerous and nearly unusable on city streets. 11.3.4 isn’t too bad so I’m going to stick with that. If they don’t offer another update soon we may be hearing of FSD causing accidents soon.

Reactions: jebinc
I just got the notice for 11.3.6 but I’m going to skip it. I’ve never passed on an update before but this one, based on reports and videos, makes it dangerous and nearly unusable on city streets. 11.3.4 isn’t too bad so I’m going to stick with that. If they don’t offer another update soon we may be hearing of FSD causing accidents soon.

FSD's performance is hyperlocal. It never really makes sense to skip a version based on the reports of others, unless you're sure they're testing it in your exact area.