Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Anyone have issues with the auto-wipers being extra sensitive on FSD Beta 11.3.6 (2022.45.15), whether or not you're using FSD?

The wipers will just turn on randomly. Using the sprayers to clean the windshield seems to help trigger the issue.

Kind of unrelated, but since FSD forces you to use auto-wipers, kind of makes FSD pretty annoying to use.
Been on a 600 mile round trip today, and the wipers were randomly coming on when on FSD, they misbehaved when dring into strong sunlight.
did the same trip a few days ago and it was evening or overcast with no direct sunlight .

Model Y 2023 model

• Funny
Reactions: Ramphex
What's funny is, on the old legacy highway code everyone complained about it NOT moving over in the lane when a big truck was next to them.

So now it does, and nobody likes THAT either :)
It's the Goldilocks principle.

No reaction to a big truck was bad, scary to the Tesla driver.
Overreaction with jerk is bad, scary to everyone.
Maybe 11.4.x will have the Just Right reaction!

The facts are - its an edge case. Otherwise we'd all experience it often. If you have to go to YT to see it ...

ps : What are not an edge cases - school zone, emergency vehicles, school bus ... all of which FSD does not handle yet.
So change the story to make the point. Got it. Before you said it was those unmarked narrow road edge cases.

It's kind of hard to experience something that hasn't been released to the public but rest assured, I would have the same junk experience.

Aside from your red herring FSD will always have real world edge cases.

Regarding the idea 'V11 is having its ChatGPT moment' ...
FSDj is having a moment but it ain't a ChatGPT moment.
To be fair to Chuck, who is an enthusiastic but absolutely not a blind shill:

He did not say that FSD "is having" its ChatGPT moment.
He said that it may be getting close to that.

It's a big difference, and even if you still don't agree, I think it's also fair to note that very few AI experts and enthusiasts really knew that ChatGlT's public "moment" was shortly imminent - until it happened.

From what I can tell, AI devejopers have several stories about unexpectedly abrupt successes, mixed into the slog of slow progress, blind alleys and " local maxima".

It seems that (speaking as an outsider) there are all kinds of technical reasons why FSD may not be similar enough to the ChatGPT LLM paradigm. Including the observation that some of ChatGPT's success is that it can be a very convincing BS generator (admittedly a human-like quality in itself, but presumably not the goal).

FSD might benefit from a little of ChatGPT's overconfidence, maybe when taking a disputable right-of-way, but generally FSD cannot afford to suffer the hallucinations and general BS that ChatGPT is capable of.

So, Chuck's ruminations of an imminent FSD breakthrough moment may or may not be accurate - in the same way that TMC forum pronouncements of how we are X many "years away from real FSD" could be quite wrong. If the wide AI community can't predict its own progress with any accuracy, then we users probably can't either.

Whatever happens, I knew it all along :)

Last edited:
One thing I don’t understand is the software upgrade process. Why are there people upgrading to 2023.12.9 (which I think is happening based on TeslaFi software tracker) when there’s a newer version out? Can you pick what version you want to upgrade to? Why wouldn’t people just pick whichever version has the latest beta? New here, so just trying to figure it out.

One thing I don’t understand is the software upgrade process. Why are there people upgrading to 2023.12.9 (which I think is happening based on TeslaFi software tracker) when there’s a newer version out? Can you pick what version you want to upgrade to? Why wouldn’t people just pick whichever version has the latest beta? New here, so just trying to figure it out.
You cannot pick. A particular version is downloaded to your car, then verified it is complete, then you get an install available prompt.

You cannot pick. A particular version is downloaded to your car, then verified it is complete, then you get an install available prompt.
So is it random then? Like will some people just get missed for the version that has the Beta? Or does it force everyone through them in sequential order? Or do you just have to make sure to let it install when it’s trying to push the version with FSD and if you miss it you’re screwed for a while?