Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Small update. I did another four hours of rural freeway driving on 11.4.4, same route as last time, but this time I used minimize lane changes and it was awesome. So much better than the maniacal lane changes last time. This said, I no longer trust 11.4.4 under the following conditions:

Left turns across traffic where there are no traffic control signs
Any turns at all in a city the size of Charlotte NC or larger.
Any stops with stop signs that do not show up on the map; ego goes through them like a hooker through blow.
Anything that generates yoke spasms; I take over instantly when ego when it starts shaking like a hooker going through withdrawal from blow.

I am thankful I live in a rural area. If I lived in a large city, you would not catch me using FSD 11.4.4; far too risky right now.

Joe
Nail meet head.

For those of us new to the FSDb (new M3), would it be safe to say that 11.3.6 is the most stable/safe version at the moment?
I don't think any of them are stable or safe. Use all of them with extreme caution. Don't be afraid to update, just don't get complacent. I've been a j rat for almost 2 years and it never ceases to amaze me how good it is. Nor how absolutely horrible it is.

Is it worth recalibrating the cameras? I haven't done that since I took delivery of the car almost a year ago.

One thing I wonder about is how having a bike rack on the back (with a bike) affects things. Clearly it "lets me know" when I am backing up that there is something there (truth). But I wonder if it interferes with anything longer term
As for the bike rack, I’d recommend a roof rack. FSD is pretty much unusable with a hitch mount rack, true story. It’s awful, and will drive you nuts, literally. Pro tip.

Reactions: Pdubs
As for the bike rack, I’d recommend a roof rack. FSD is pretty much unusable with a hitch mount rack, true story. It’s awful, and will drive you nuts, literally. Pro tip.
Yea, I've pretty much learned that and don't really use FSD (except for maybe highway driving) when I have my baby on board. I'm not really a fan of the roof rack solutions; the thoughts of lifting a heavy mountain bike over the pretty glass roof scares the crap out of me. Plus it looks really anti-aero.

But I wasn't sure if there was "lasting" effect of doing that.

I think at this point my plan is to first just clean all the cameras (feels like that is a probably a good standard practice) and maybe re-calibrate if still sketchy,

Both FSD 11.4.3 and 11.4.4 have problem with center left turn lane. 11.4.4 is worse than 11.4.3 on this issue.
Right after I made a left turn to the street using the center left I engaged FSD.
FSD moved to the center left turn lane then moved back to the regular lane multiple times when it was supposed to turn left to a street more than .1 mile ahead (the end of the center left turn lane was a designated left turn lane). I disengage but did not know how to say the exact words in a few seconds when making voice bug report.

Last edited:
Reactions: FSDtester#1
It’s actually worse, it will actively swerve like crazy thinking it’s avoiding a rear end, but in doing so it might cause you to crash into other cars or curbs.. NOT safe.

• Informative
Reactions: beachmiles
Both FSD 11.4.3 and 11.4.4 have problem with center left turn lane. 11.4.4 is worse than 11.4.3 on this issue.
Right after I made a left turn to the street using the center left I engaged FSD.
FSD moved to the center left turn lane then moved back to the regular lane multiple times when it was supposed to turn left to a street more than .1 mile ahead (the end of the center left turn lane was a designated left turn lane). I disengage but did not know how to say the exact words in a few seconds when making voice bug report.
Agreed.. like I stated before, I wish I didn't update to 4.4.
4.3 was way better. I have had no improvements and only regressions on this build.
1st time in almost 2 years that an update didn't make anything better, just worse.
I hope there is a method to this madness and they did this intentionally to test some new Neural Network behaviors...

I hope there is a method to this madness and they did this intentionally to test some new Neural Network behaviors...

I can only assume there are two explanations for the variance in performance:

1. On aggregate, performance is improved with an update. Otherwise if Tesla saw major regressions across the board in their simulations, they wouldn't ship it.
2. Tesla does see the regressions in performance, but it's the consequence of introducing a new function or method that will be necessary for overall improvements in the future.

For those of us new to the FSDb (new M3), would it be safe to say that 11.3.6 is the most stable/safe version at the moment?
You will likely get different answers from people. I have been away for a week and when I came back today and drove 11.4.4 there were clearly mapping changes that improved the drives. 2 intersections in particular that FSD has always failed at were really good today with no interventions. One has failed dramatically since Oct 2021. For me 11.4.4 is better even without these improvements.

Reactions: Dennisis
Agreed.. like I stated before, I wish I didn't update to 4.4.
4.3 was way better. I have had no improvements and only regressions on this build.
1st time in almost 2 years that an update didn't make anything better, just worse.
And yet, as bad as this release is as stated by a multitude of posters and YouTubers, you would think they would halt further downloads until fixes were made. Not yet. 151 pending pushes still being shown based upon Teslafi info.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
My car has stopped uploading new footage on 11.4.4 despite dozens of disengagements and voice notes. When I have FSD running it usually uploads on the order of 40GB per week.

Anyone else seeing this?

View attachment 952131
My daily upload average since getting 11.4.4 is 2.58 GB.

I had one day of 6.8 GB (Drove 300 miles and had a ton of disengagements).

It does appear that if I do not send a message, the disengagement isn't getting pushed as I had none yesterday or the day before and didn't send any voice notes. It could be that the car decided they weren't critical disengagements. I sometimes disengage when I don't feel like the car attempting something that I know is on the edge, like a UPL.

Last edited:
I skipped 11.4.3 and went straight from 11.4.2 to 11.4.4 and would agree that the 11.4 series seems to be progressively downhill. Nothing noticeably better but definite regressions.

I had an interesting fail this week -
A road I take to work is a designated detour and they added some temporary stop signs to improve safety and traffic control. FSD will render these on the visualization but completely fail to stop at them unless it's following another car that stops. In this case it will stop but often doesn't render the stop sign in the right location relative to the intersection and/or doesn't stop at the proper location.

I don't know what the long term plans are for the FSD architecture but this would seem to imply that FSD can't handle traffic controls that aren't pre-mapped in the mapping data. That doesn't bode well long term, IMO.

I skipped 11.4.3 and went straight from 11.4.2 to 11.4.4 and would agree that the 11.4 series seems to be progressively downhill. Nothing noticeably better but definite regressions.

I had an interesting fail this week -
A road I take to work is a designated detour and they added some temporary stop signs to improve safety and traffic control. FSD will render these on the visualization but completely fail to stop at them unless it's following another car that stops. In this case it will stop but often doesn't render the stop sign in the right location relative to the intersection and/or doesn't stop at the proper location.

I don't know what the long term plans are for the FSD architecture but this would seem to imply that FSD can't handle traffic controls that aren't pre-mapped in the mapping data. That doesn't bode well long term, IMO.
I disagree with that. The car makes errors, but I've actually had more issues with FSD seeing a stop sign (back of a truck, a pre-stop sign, etc.) and making me stop more than missing one. Both of our accounts are anecdotal, yes.

They have to be the right size most of the time.

Also, I don't think v11 uses map data much. I think Elon's tweet about cars driving on vision and GPS has come to fruition and that's why we are seeing such strange lane choices like getting out of the proper lane before a turn, getting in the turning lane, etc.

Reactions: Pdubs
I disagree with that. The car makes errors, but I've actually had more issues with FSD seeing a stop sign (back of a truck, a pre-stop sign, etc.) and making me stop more than missing one. Both of our accounts are anecdotal, yes.

They have to be the right size most of the time.

Also, I don't think v11 uses map data much. I think Elon's tweet about cars driving on vision and GPS has come to fruition and that's why we are seeing such strange lane choices like getting out of the proper lane before a turn, getting in the turning lane, etc.
Well, there are 2 intersections with temporary stop signs and I've driven the route 9 times this week, that makes for 18 tests and it's failure rate is 100% when not stopping for a lead car. Granted I haven't tested any other temporary stop signs because they're just not that common but I think I can say a bit more than anecdotal at this point.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Well, there are 2 intersections with temporary stop signs and I've driven the route 9 times this week, that makes for 18 tests and it's failure rate is 100% when not stopping for a lead car. Granted I haven't tested any other temporary stop signs because they're just not that common but I think I can say a bit more than anecdotal at this point.
There's a few other potential factors; your speed, the size of the sign, weather conditions, and your car.

The temp stop signs around me, my car likes. It even stopped at one while a guy was carrying it. In Florida they used a mini temp stop sign and my car didn't pay it any attention.

My car doesn't recognize the ones people hold, either.