Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
v11.4.4. on 2023.26.10

and the surprise continues...

Today I was driving down a city road 30mph on FSDb and on the right side of the lane there was a bundle of blanket/rug. The car shifted to the left side of the lane, avoided the blanket, and then came back to the center.
This is great news. On V11.3.6 I had to take over for:
A dead fawn ~ in the middle of the lane @ 65 mph
A dead bear straddling the center line
Basketball sized boulders strewn across the lane

All of those within an hour.

Other obstructions include, but are not limited to, large potholes, random dropped objects, horse poop.

Any improvement in the ability to avoid road hazards is welcome!

and the surprise continues...

Today I was driving down a city road 30mph on FSDb and on the right side of the lane there was a bundle of blanket/rug. The car shifted to the left side of the lane, avoided the blanket, and then came back to the center.
Here's a challenging scenario with a highway crossing of a very lucky deer.

From the side/back camera views one can see FSD steers left well after deer crosses the road. Unfortunately there's no visible instrumentation but it's mostly dark out and what appears to be a brake light reflection is seen via the side camera view - it appears to initiate about the same time as the left steering.

A simple situation would be while driving in heavy snow. The camera said I cannot see. The radar said there is nothing out there. Should the system just said lets proceed as usual or slow down. Should the system warn the user? What is safer in this situation?
Hey, that is the example scenario I used when people were lamenting on the move to vision only.

Radar is at best a second opinion on a scenario. It is never the first one. If it was, we would have seen more living creatures with radar/sonic capabilities than just bats.

All I am trying to say was that how do you know that Tesla engineers know what they are doing with the added radar signals. Radar detection range decreases with rain and snow too. Apparently, Tesla can only detect rain or snow with their cameras. Does radar also indicates there is rain or snow? You may have the false sense that it is saver with the radar if Tesla engineers did not implement the hardware and software correctly and did not warn you of the degraded capabilities of radar with rain and snow.

A simple situation would be while driving in heavy snow. The camera said I cannot see. The radar said there is nothing out there. Should the system just said lets proceed as usual or slow down. Should the system warn the user? What is safer in this situation?
For what it's worth: Current FSD software (driving 11.4.4 at the moment, had 11.4.7 before) slows the car down when the view is obscured in rain and mist.

On my last trip to Beantown, driving through the remnants of a tropical storm through Connecticut and central Massachusetts; first, the car acted like normal; as stuff got denser, the speed limit was reduced, first, to 5 mph over the limit; then, the limit; then 5 mph below the limit, then, "You drive!"

Your argument about "too much snow, can't see" fits right into this: If one wants to drive when the visibility is shot, at the moment, Tesla is saying, more or less, "You want to drive when visibility is gone? That's your lookout, I'm bailing."

And, yeah, I drove manually for about 80 miles until my path went through places where the mist/rain wasn't.

It was possible to push the gas pedal down to keep the speed up, but one keeps on getting warnings of, "FSD won't brake" when one does that.

And I think if the visibility is bad enough, even LK will give up.

From the side/back camera views one can see FSD steers left well after deer crosses the road. Unfortunately there's no visible instrumentation but it's mostly dark out and what appears to be a brake light reflection is seen via the side camera view - it appears to initiate about the same time as the left steering.

I’m always really, really skeptical of these videos. If taken at face value, - very nice. I would assume the swerve into the oncoming lane long after the deer has passed is the driver? We’ll never know.

There's no release notes and nobody who has actually downloaded it and looked has reported back yet.

I'm on 2023.32.7 on a new 2023 M3 LR AWD; this version has 11.4.4 on it. The car came with 2023.26.9 which had FSD-b 11.3.6; the 2023.32.7 was the first update.

So... When I got on 2023.32.7 TeslaFi didn't say anything about FSD; now, checking the site's web page, it says 2023.32.7 is 11.4.4, meaning that they figured out what version of FSD was present after some reports.

These version numbers only go up, not down; so there's a chance that 2032.32.9 has FSD-b in it. However, until someone reports what's present, we won't know what's actually there (FSD newer version? Bug fixes? More language changes?). I'd say it probably has a version of FSD-b on it, but which one, who knows.
I was in the same situation with 11.3.6 and then 11.4. I want to get back to the beta releases instead of what’s in the most recent software. I’m not sure if I just wait for that update. I’m behind the current beta software but have 32.9 pending still

What Elon said about radar!

Radar only gives you a little advantage on Emergency Braking if not noisy! False indications will result in Phantom Braking!
Okay... but radar was removed and these cars are still phantom braking. Only one thing for it, - remove all the cameras! Also, in typical Tesla fashion these days:

"We’ve not included radar. We have radar — a Tesla-designed radar as an experiment in Model S and X. That’s it. We’ll see whether that experiment is worth it, but there are no plans to integrate radar into 3 or Y,” Musk said.

That's hilarious. The new radar in the S and X is an experiment! So Elon has just admitted to putting in unfinished hardware/software into these cars. Or, by his own admission, it might never be finished, and just abandoned. I'd be laughing out loud right now if it weren't the Tesla status quo we've always known, but never admitted to. Well there it is, folks.

Last edited:
No, the hardware is finished.

The experiment is about if it can be used in software to improve things. (Does it still suffer from the same issues as the old hardware of adding more noise than signal?)
Absolutely to your first statement (maybe). But... don't you think that sort of thing could have been tested before dumping it into customers' cars?

Reactions: FSDtester#1
This is great news. On V11.3.6 I had to take over for:
A dead fawn ~ in the middle of the lane @ 65 mph
A dead bear straddling the center line
Basketball sized boulders strewn across the lane

All of those within an hour.

Other obstructions include, but are not limited to, large potholes, random dropped objects, horse poop.

Any improvement in the ability to avoid road hazards is welcome!
Methinks you need clearer roads!

it's always hard to tell when watching a video after the fact. The other unknown variable is how visible the deer was to the driver. It depends on how well your eyes are accommodated, how bright the instruments are, etc. Often times things are more apparent on video than they are to a human because the digital image can be adjusted.

At best there was less than a second warning from the time the deer's head was even visible. That assumes you were perfectly alert and had your eyes in the proper spot. If not, you would have had significantly less.

I don't know what's impressive about this. The car doesn't even seem to slow down until the deer is mostly past the car already.

Latest with my commute on 11.4.7.2 - had many more extra commutes this last week.
Got a better idea of why the wipers are so jacked up on these last few builds.
Driving down I35 on a lovely sunny morning, wipers doing the usual wiping the dry windshield, then wiping a few more times to be sure.
The icing on the cake - the display shows "Full Self-Driving may be degraded - Poor weather detected"
There wasn't a single cloud in the sky, no water on the screen, newly cleaned.
No wonder it can't figure out when to wipe.