Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
FWIW I've used FSDb for like 95%+ of my actual minutes of driving for many thousands of miles now... yes it's not safe/usable for the other few percent of the time-but if you're paying attention (which you should be) it's not a problem... and acts as a huge reduction of stress/effort the other 95%+ of the time. On top of that after not too long you learn ahead of time where the few-percent-of-failures are likely to be on any locations you frequently drive so you already know to work around em.

For me it's certainly NOT a robotaxi, but it's a pretty good L2 ADAS.

Some other folks appear to have either vastly less success (I see frequent suggestion S/X has a bigger issue than 3/Y) or they're in the bucket of the guy who stopped using it 100% of the time because it fails to do one single turn on his drive properly.
You say that, and in theory it should work. I was coming home from work today on a 4 lane divided SR and came up to a left turn lane. I was in the left lane with my hands on the yoke.

The car bolted into the turn lane and was half way in as I corrected it and got back into my lane. I got pulled over initially for impaired driving due to improper lane usage.

So there is that.

I agree 100%. I would not know where to put my hands if not on the steering wheel, paying attention!

My most recent relaxed trip was vacation at Paso Robles wine country. One morning I drove alone (I didn't want to ride with my daughter and family because I sometime get car sick through winding mountain roads as a passenger) to San Simeon and toured the Hearst Castle. Dinner at Cambria and have to drove back to Paso Robles at night through Route 46, a somewhat winding mountain two lanes road. FSDb handled it beautifully, keeping in lane, negotiated the curves nicely with the appropriate slow downs and speed up, not bothered by the oncoming traffic headlights. If it was a few years earlier with AP, that would not have been that easy. AP would not adjust speed to take curves and would sometimes cross center line on sharp curves.
These are exactly my experiences as well. I far prefer taking my MY in trips. It’s so relaxing to drive. No, FSD isn’t perfect but it seems like a lot of people are so focused on complaining about what it can do they can’t notice and enjoy what it can do.

I live in northern California and currently visiting LA area, most left turns here are unprotected.

FSDb handles the unprotected left turns terribly. The wheel jerks left and right making me nervous then one time it started to go when we would have been hit by oncoming traffic, another time it just sat there when the coast was clear, so I just make all left turns by myself and it does most other things pretty well. It also intrudes too far left when waiting to turn left so that oncoming cars have to move to their right.

Stop sign behavior is still hit and miss (but this is not unique to so cal), sometimes it'll slow down very gradually to an indicated 1mph then start to accelerate very slightly and creep for what feels like an eternity then abruptly stop, then abruptly start making my head hit the headrest then slow down the acceleration. Other times it'll be passably smooth.

These are exactly my experiences as well. I far prefer taking my MY in trips. It’s so relaxing to drive. No, FSD isn’t perfect but it seems like a lot of people are so focused on complaining about what it can do they can’t notice and enjoy what it can do.
I think there are a couple different frames of mind in play. Some complaints relate to suggested improvements in the product. Some are more like reviews of the product.

When many of us signed up as testers of new beta versions, after passing a "safety score" test, it was more clear what we were talking bout here, mostly how to help improve the product and what new testers could expect. Now that FSD is available to all who want it, the review sort of comments may make sense if potential new buyers of FSD are reading this to help in their decision.

Then, of course, there are those who came here to argue.

Anyway, what I am wondering about these days is if the "tester" program is over. (I'm still not sure what the proper name for this group is.) Will new FSD versions go out to a sub population as they did up till 2023.44.30? Or, are we all out of the Hotel FSD from which we were not allowed to leave? With V12 on the horizon, how will Tesla proceed?

I don't post often about FSD because everyone else cover my gripes pretty good. I will say I agree with the recent posts about FSD really making trips so much better for me too. It's funny, my wife really hates FSD, but when it's NOT engaged, I can tell when I start getting tired because she will ask me if I should "let the car drive for a while". To be honest, I'm still quite impressed with it although I agree it's got a lot of work to go...it's still pretty cool.

Also is recent posts, my car has tried to take turn lanes (at full speed I might add) for at least 4 updates. It's always the same ones.
And a new one today. The new navigation shows a stop sign right in the middle of a main, 4 lanes divided road. There is not a traffic control device with in 1/2 a mile and never has been. Nor is there a need as there are no crossroads at this location. As you can guess, the car simply tries to stop here.
I took a video but not sure if it's worth posting, I am sure you get the idea.

Wipers are still hit and miss at night on dark, rural roads. Still have to manually over ride and hit the button to clear the windscreen.

Still doesn’t creep adequately enough on certain intersections, just kinda pulls out, if there was oncoming traffic, it would be awkward.

The few claims of 11.4.9 being sublime I cannot attest to. Sorry. That’s just brass tax.
V12 will be mind blowing, I’m sure.

I think the majority of people in here are more "reporting their experiences" rather than complaining. Just because the experience is negative, doesn't make it complaining. But I get it Sleepy, it can be a lot sometimes. Granted, if it worked the way it was sold and not as a goal, it'd be a happier forum lol.

I'm happy all the time, but it's typically enhanced. :D

I think there are a couple different frames of mind in play. Some complaints relate to suggested improvements in the product. Some are more like reviews of the product.

When many of us signed up as testers of new beta versions, after passing a "safety score" test, it was more clear what we were talking bout here, mostly how to help improve the product and what new testers could expect. Now that FSD is available to all who want it, the review sort of comments may make sense if potential new buyers of FSD are reading this to help in their decision.

Then, of course, there are those who came here to argue.

Anyway, what I am wondering about these days is if the "tester" program is over. (I'm still not sure what the proper name for this group is.) Will new FSD versions go out to a sub population as they did up till 2023.44.30? Or, are we all out of the Hotel FSD from which we were not allowed to leave? With V12 on the horizon, how will Tesla proceed?
See, if I would have read this before I replied to Sleepy, I wouldn't have responded. This is what I had in my head but couldn't say. You're so articulate!

Reactions: FSDtester#1
You say that, and in theory it should work. I was coming home from work today on a 4 lane divided SR and came up to a left turn lane. I was in the left lane with my hands on the yoke.

The car bolted into the turn lane and was half way in as I corrected it and got back into my lane. I got pulled over initially for impaired driving due to improper lane usage.

So there is that.
You got pulled over yesterday for the way FSD Beta drove?

So there is that.
I've noticed 11.4.9. is sometimes a bit more aggressive with last second lane changes into turning lanes etc. One time it was turning into the median and a car was coming from the other direction and the steering input was flat out looney tunes. The other driver had to be scared to death with the sharp angle, minimal range separation, and relatively high closing speed.

Reactions: bhakan and Pdubs