Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Yesterday I was browsing the notifications for alerts, to my surprise I found a very strange alter at 2am, I am in bed, car is in the closed garage, sentry off at home, and I have security camera shown no other activity.

GTW_w242 Autopilot features temporarily unavailable, may be restored in next drive.

Is the AP doing some book keeping, uploading data, or clean up?

For sure but in this case (v12) it seems to be a mostly local population release.
That’s because most of the employees are in CA.

Basically Tesla has videos from everywhere - there is no reason to train with CA bias. As Musk says it doesn’t perform well in rain .. that’s what I’d expect. Certain conditions are more difficult than others - rather than geography as such.

If it works ok in dry CA, it probably works well in AZ and Nevada as well.

This "not Beta FSD" Elon is claiming sounds like hyperbole. What exactly does "not Beta" mean? It will still be the same L2 system so saying it is "not Beta" doesn't really change anything (other than improvements)?
I think removing beta tag at this stage will be a major shift and people will assume they don’t have to pay attention anymore. So, I don’t think it will ever be removed.

Yea, imagine driving on highway without FSD, it'd be torture for me now

BTW, once again, 11.4.9 is so good, it really does drive most places without any disengagement and minimal intervention for me
I was thinking of getting FS CT so I could use it for a summer road-trip next year. If it doesn’t have FSD - I’d just wait for non-FS.

I would say, Tesla has the best software, and that's a crying shame.
Tesla has the best software, and it's not even close. Take that from someone who's used pretty much all the latest car software, from Porsche Taycan, Rivian R1T, VW ID.4 (lol it's a joke) etc. Tesla is in a league of its own here. Can Tesla be better? Ohhhh yes. But without any decent software competition I suspect they feel they don't need to be.

For many of us the sensor rarely detects anything, so there are (or were) constant nags. I used to get constant nags. Now that the cameras are used, I rarely get nagged. And I keep my hands on the wheel 99.9% of the time.
Since the internal camera cannot detect whether I'm paying attention when I wear my sunglasses I need to keep my hands on the wheel like always. No change. You often hear people say Tesla should stop the nags since the camera is monitoring you but since Tesla knows certain sunglasses beat the driver monitoring system how can they safely stop nags?

Reactions: PACEMD
We talk of self driving cars, these kids show up on lawn tractors with atv tires hammering the trails behind my house. Maybe we have it all wrong?: and what’s worse? I’m complaining I don’t have heat, ac and power windows in my $28k side by side, but, that Polaris Xpedition Northstar is just a click away…I am getting older I guess? Sigh. 😞

Attachments

• IMG_5087.jpeg
    IMG_5087.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 32
  • Funny
Reactions: kabin